Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Looking for a new TV

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 10:36 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Originally Posted by ShadeZeRO' post='999809' date='Sep 5 2009, 09:45 PM
Pioneer Elite.
Only way to go in my opinion.

If you're on a budget, Panasonic makes stellar LCD's, so does Hitachi Directors Edition displays.

There's a few other choices as well you can look at.
Just let us know what you're looking for mainly in a display, also what you'll be hooking up to it.

I used to work at magnolia home theater at best buy.
+1 Pioneer Elite FTW!!
Old 09-05-2009, 10:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

I would get the LED TV, as that is what I am doing presently! (Once they make one the right size for my application!)
Old 09-06-2009, 12:53 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by DD_545i' post='999901' date='Sep 6 2009, 01:31 AM
Really? The OLED TVs are already up to 55" ? I thought they were still limited to small less-than-20" size currently. I've been waiting for a big OLED, time I started getting into researching my next buy too.
Lol, it's not OLED.

It's that BS LED Backlit TV.

FYI, if you see any insane contrast ratios like samsung puts
10000000000000000:1*

You'll most likely see a notion saying its (dynamic). It's just marketing, the primary advantage is that it's thinner.
When we start getting IPS/PVA LED backlit panels, then we'll start talking

Also, if you decide to go with the pioneer elite, i suggest going with the monitor if you're not looking to hook up cable (or have no need for the tuner).
The calibration options are exceptional. I'd also suggest spending a few hundred for a proper calibration tool, but that's up to you.

If you decide to go with the regular Television models, you won't be disappointed at all.
Old 09-06-2009, 03:29 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve,

If state-of-the-art black levels are what you crave there is absolutely no comparison between Pioneer's KURO line-up and any other manufacturer. The KURO is going down as the best display and monitor line-up ever made to date. Samsung, still to this date, is having QC issues that they sweep under the rug.
For what it's worth: I'm in contact with engineers at my company's Far East facility almost on a daily basis and we have discussions involving new electronic gear, auto's, kids etc. besides work issues of course They continually tell me to stick with the Japanese houses; Sony, Hitachi, JVC, Mitsubishi, Panasonic, etc. and do not understand USA's "pull" towards Samsung.
Granted, at the end of 2009 Pioneer is getting out of the high-end display business due to pricing (they are high end) and the financial problems associated with the on-going global economic downturn but all warranties and service will be covered. The KURO is one nasty set; you will not be disappointed.....
Old 09-06-2009, 04:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 650 Grand Coupe
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='999748' date='Sep 5 2009, 08:52 PM
Plasma TVs have very vivid colors. But they consume more power and have a significantly shorter life than LCD TVs. And they weigh more. They also are vulerable to burn in, while LCDs are immune to burn in.
It is true that early Plasma televisions had a shorter life expectancy than other sets, that is no longer the case for today's models. They are also much more resistant to burn-in. I regularly watch CNBC in the daytime and the ticker has never been an issue for me.
This site is filled with a lot of good information on Plasma televisions. http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmat...logevity_1.html

Personally, I don't have experience with LCD's, other than computer monitors. I do own two Panasonic plasmas. I have a 58" and a 42". The 58" is now three years old and the 42" is about a year and a half old. Both of these sets have been trouble free as you would expect from relatively new units. The picture quality is absolutely wonderful. When I was originally in the market for a flat screen TV, I did a lot of research on the subject. The Pioneer and Panasonic brands were consistently the top rated plasma sets. I did read that Pioneer was going to exit the plasma market though. I don't know if that has happened yet or not. It is also true that Plasmas consume more power than LCD's but that gap has narrowed as technology has progressed.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by ENstig8or' post='1000012' date='Sep 6 2009, 08:30 AM
It is true that early Plasma televisions had a shorter life expectancy than other sets, that is no longer the case for today's models. They are also much more resistant to burn-in. I regularly watch CNBC in the daytime and the ticker has never been an issue for me.
This site is filled with a lot of good information on Plasma televisions. http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmat...logevity_1.html

Personally, I don't have experience with LCD's, other than computer monitors. I do own two Panasonic plasmas. I have a 58" and a 42". The 58" is now three years old and the 42" is about a year and a half old. Both of these sets have been trouble free as you would expect from relatively new units. The picture quality is absolutely wonderful. When I was originally in the market for a flat screen TV, I did a lot of research on the subject. The Pioneer and Panasonic brands were consistently the top rated plasma sets. I did read that Pioneer was going to exit the plasma market though. I don't know if that has happened yet or not. It is also true that Plasmas consume more power than LCD's but that gap has narrowed as technology has progressed.
Pioneer exiting the market will be a terrible thing for plasma. There's little dispute that aong hte major brands, Pioneer makes the best plasma HDTVs.

The best way to see which HDTV you want is to go to the store and look at each of their pictures (after having done the initial research on sources such as cnet.com or Consumer Reports).
Old 09-06-2009, 04:45 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='1000016' date='Sep 6 2009, 08:43 AM
Pioneer exiting the market will be a terrible thing for plasma. There's little dispute that aong hte major brands, Pioneer makes the best plasma HDTVs.
Hopefully they will sell or license out their technology to another manufacturer.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Only one choice.

The Panasonic V10. Comes in 50", 54", 58", and 65".

http://hdguru.com/the-new-king-of-hdtv-dis...0-reviewed/458/

These TVs have the Kuro technology, and the new Pioneer Kuros will share the same panels, only adding different processing circuitry when the newer ones are released.

The reason aside from incredible visuals of this THX certified display? The refresh rates.

It will sync at 48Hz, 60Hz, and 96Hz.

Why is this important? All the 120Hz and 240Hz displays are trying to overcome the fact that they don't sync film content properly. 48 is 2x 24(native film) and 96 is 4x.

60Hz is what is required for 720p/60 broadcast sports - the native rate you get. 1080/60i (also 60) needs this so you're okay.

This means the end of 3:2 pulldown, the end of judder, the end of a lot of the artifacts we've come to expect from progressive displays.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:51 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='999702' date='Sep 6 2009, 03:14 AM
The Sony XBR is consistently among the top-rated HDTVs. I have two of them: a 37 incher in the bedroom and a 46 incher in the living room. They are terrific TVs. A little pricey but worth every penny.
+1 I also have a 46"-er in my living room and some high to middle end Samsungs scattered in almost every room, but i found the screen quality of the Sony the best. Never regretted spending premium on a Sony X...
Old 09-06-2009, 10:43 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames' post='999759' date='Sep 5 2009, 06:59 PM
We can make the room pretty dark as we can close the plantation shutters but more often than not it does tend to be fairly bright.
I'm actuallly very happy with my non-elite pioneer plasma in the basement and it's near 16 feet of slider doors and it does quite well.