Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Looking to buy an assault rifle

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 10:47 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pukka
Bother with the 22 if you would like to shoot target practice all day long - the ammo is dirt cheap. Personally, I'd opt for a 9mm, you can get a used one pretty cheap, the recoil is not bad, the ammo is not too expensive, and it WILL provide stopping power should you need to use it as such. Can't see buying a rifle for just target practice IMO.

The AR-15 is the civilian equivalent of the M-16. The only difference is the M-16 has the full auto selection (M161A1) or 3 round burst selection (M161A2). An AR-15 can be easily modified to shoot full auto.

I've never seen any M-16's with a retractable butt-stock. Maybe they exist in the Spec Ops where they have all sorts of nice shooty toys.
no, special ops uses the standard M-4 with retractable butt-stock. The M-16A2 is no longer used for combat operations because it is too cumbersome getting in and out of HMMWVs and other vehicles, as well as the long butt stock causing problems with the the IBA (Interceptor Body Armor) and use during CQC (Close quarter combat). The M16-A2 is still used by a lot of Combat Support and Combat Service Support units, but they are trying to phase the 16 out. Some SOF units from time to time get to use some other highspeed stuff in addition to the M-4, but nothing is really used in lieu of it. The rangers will use shotguns and MP5s from time but the M-4 (with retractable butt stock) is the standard. M-16s were phased out years ago for combat units.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:55 AM
Contributors

ok so if im looking to get the m4 semi auto 223 what should it cost me? brand new or used.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:51 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by Alpine White Girl
ok so if im looking to get the m4 semi auto 223 what should it cost me? brand new or used.
YES!

New the AR-15 runs around $1400...plenty of deals on gun forums
(Just be a little cautious...there can be nuts on these forums...)
Old 09-21-2010, 01:28 PM
Contributors

Went to a local gun store today and looked at a RockRiver Arms LAR-15 .223 that was listed at $842 BRAND NEW. I dont know anything about brands, is this something i should snatch up? Used Bushmasters, Olympic Arms, and Colts were going for $880-1100 USED at another shop i went to. I havent heard or know anything about RockRiver arms. Help
Old 09-21-2010, 04:20 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by Alpine White Girl
Went to a local gun store today and looked at a RockRiver Arms LAR-15 .223 that was listed at $842 BRAND NEW. I dont know anything about brands, is this something i should snatch up? Used Bushmasters, Olympic Arms, and Colts were going for $880-1100 USED at another shop i went to. I havent heard or know anything about RockRiver arms. Help
Never heard of Rock River...
Old 09-21-2010, 05:33 PM
Contributors

Anyone else ever hear of them?
Rock River Arms
Old 09-21-2010, 05:45 PM
Members

sigh......at least the weather is nice in socal.............stupid assault rifle ban
Old 09-22-2010, 09:53 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Brett, why get an assault rifle for 100 yard target shooting anyway? There are plenty of standard rifles for that, and much cheaper. Regular ones don't look as cool, but that's about it. Also, an assault rifle is not the best for home defense either. Kind of big and clumsy to use for an emergency situation in the middle of the night. You'd be better off getting a 9mm pistol loaded with hollow points (expand and slow on impact) for home invaders. Keep in mind full metal jacket 223 bullets travel a long way, including through the wall and who knows what else they will strike. For home protection, you might even consider a sawed-off shotgun (legal length of course) for that "bad guy" coming through the window at 3 AM. 2 cents.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:56 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by CWS530
Brett, why get an assault rifle for 100 yard target shooting anyway? There are plenty of standard rifles for that, and much cheaper. Regular ones don't look as cool, but that's about it. Also, an assault rifle is not the best for home defense either. Kind of big and clumsy to use for an emergency situation in the middle of the night. You'd be better off getting a 9mm pistol loaded with hollow points (expand and slow on impact) for home invaders. Keep in mind full metal jacket 223 bullets travel a long way, including through the wall and who knows what else they will strike. For home protection, you might even consider a sawed-off shotgun (legal length of course) for that "bad guy" coming through the window at 3 AM. 2 cents.

Good point, but she needs an assault rifle for when the Russians invade....
Old 09-22-2010, 05:42 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by CWS530
I considered all of that and for home defense my boyfriend has a 12 gauge. I didnt want to get a hand gun because imo they are kind of worthless. Id rather have the shot gun for home defense and the AR for the range. Thanks for the input.

Originally Posted by Krozi
Good point, but she needs an assault rifle for when the Russians invade....
Took the plunge today. Rock River LAR - 15 Semi auto 223 with a military style rear sight/handle, box of 50 rounds, and hard case for $940 out the door BRAND NEW.

Anyone want pics?

Quick Reply: Looking to buy an assault rifle