Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

List of US twisty roads

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 06:19 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, as I was planning my drive back from the Performance Center, I wanted to drive on some twisty roads to get the car a good workout instead of cruising the interstate.

I came across this website, granted it is from a motorcycle basis, but figured it would work out for me. It rates road as scenic, sweeping and twisty with a brief note and reference that I thought I would share with my friends here at e60.net.

Motorcycle Road US Link
Old 10-17-2004, 06:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Wow, CR, I thought you weren't driving it back. You're gonna have a blast!

I don't know too many roads around there but since you're heading West, ask the people at the Performance Center about the drive to the Biltmore estate. (Worth stopping at if you can swing it.) One of the programs they have at the PC is an excursion to the Biltmore on some fun roads in the area. I think they use Z4s for the trip.
Old 10-17-2004, 06:33 AM
Contributors

Yea, I plan to drive it back to CO. Triing to set record for break-in time from delivery.

Thanks for the note, I will check into the trip to the Biltmore.
Old 10-17-2004, 07:23 AM
JDN
Contributors

CR, in my experience, those cars that I broke in using cruise control ended up using about one quart per 1000 mi. You won't be tempted to hang in CC too long on the twisties, but there will be some long stretches where varying the speed will help the break in period. Some forum members have to add oil and I think it might be related to not varying the speed enough during break in, but, OTOH, I really don't know that to be the case.
Old 10-17-2004, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

One thing you can do during your highway drive to help break-in is to shift between 5th and 6th every so often. That way, you can still use the cruise control but you'll be varying the rpms a bit more.

Also, with the SMG, it's fun to play with the paddles a little on the way home!
Old 10-17-2004, 08:35 AM
Contributors

I figured that finding the twisty roads would help vary the engine rpm. I have tried to link a bunch of them together to get me as many twisty roads as possible without going to far out of my way. I won't be on the interstate too much based on my route, and don't really hit the really straight stuff to Kansas, so have some good miles on it before then. Sure the SMG will come in handy for varying the rpms, and also get a chance to check out the ACC.

Thank god for this forum, I am going nuts, and still weeks away.
Old 10-17-2004, 08:41 AM
JDN
Contributors

Me, too, CR, and mine has just been laid up two weeks. I wheeled by the dealership a few minutes ago and she still sits in the same spot it was when I took off eight days ago. Here I am into my third week and no apparent progess. SA is now on vacation. I'll give them a call tomorrow.
Old 10-17-2004, 12:32 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Oct 17 2004, 09:41 AM
... she still sits in the same spot it was when I took off eight days ago. Here I am into my third week and no apparent progess.
[snapback]45910[/snapback]
That's not a good sign.
Keep us updated on what's happening.
Old 10-18-2004, 04:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i/6sp SilverGray/Beige

Originally Posted by CRRobert' date='Oct 17 2004, 08:19 AM
Well, as I was planning my drive back from the Performance Center, I wanted to drive on some twisty roads to get the car a good workout instead of cruising the interstate.

I came across this website, granted it is from a motorcycle basis, but figured it would work out for me.? It rates road as scenic, sweeping and twisty with a brief note and reference that I thought I would share with my friends here at e60.net.

Motorcycle Road US Link
[snapback]45869[/snapback]
You should try "The Tail of the Dragon." (www.tailofthedragon.com). It's in extreme western NC and goes across the border to Tennessee. It's legendary among motorcycle and sports car enthusiasts as one of the absolute best driving routes in the country. Aside from that, US Hwy 64 from Brevard to Highlands is an awesome stretch of road. The "Dragon" site has condition reports and reviews of some of the other good driving roads in western NC.

-MrB
Old 10-18-2004, 03:29 PM
Contributors

Thank Mr. B. Looking at it right now. Pretty cool.

Quick Reply: List of US twisty roads