Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

For the kids who survived the 50's, 60's and 70's

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

To All The Kids Who Survived The 1930's 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's !!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, bread and butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because we were always outside playing.

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms...we had friends and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate worms and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes, nor did the worms live in us forever.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all!

And you are most likely one of them! Congratulations!
Old 09-13-2005, 01:56 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 09-13-2005, 03:03 AM
Contributors

Old 09-13-2005, 03:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: GONE BUT NOT FOGOTTEN : 530d SE Auto : Titanium Grey / Anthracite Leather, Poplar Trim, 18in 123 Style Alloys, Adaptive Bi-Xenons, Business Nav, Hi-Fi Speaker Package, Heated seats, Split-Fold Rear Seats LR DISCO 3 HSE with everything (including 3 kids)

Feel sad for the next generation though.

Yesterday I spent a few minutes talking to one of my 5yo sons friends at the school gate. He spent 4 weeks of the summer in a beach villa in grece. Fantastic i thought what a holiday !. When I asked him if he was in the sea every day, he replied. No - I played on my playstation. What ? All day ? says I. Yes, he replied full of glee, every day.

He's only 5, I could have cried
Old 09-13-2005, 04:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

All true.. I always was outside playing with my friends..

My wife is a teacher and has 10 year olds in her class. These kids all have a cellphone and a very busy daily schedule so there is almost no time to play. They have to go to soccerpractice, musiclessons, horseriding etc.etc..
And in the weekends the parents try to make up for not beeing with them during the workweek taking them out to funparks, swimmingpools and other stuff.

By the time it is monday they are all sleeping in her class because they didn't have any rest during the weekend.

This new generation stops beeing a kid after they start walking..... :thumbsdown:
Old 09-13-2005, 05:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xiT, Silver Gray, Automatic, Navigation, Heads Up Display; Premium Package, Comfort Seats, Logic 7 Sound System 2003 M3, Dakar Yellow, SMG

[SIZE=14]AMEN
Old 09-13-2005, 01:31 PM
Red
Members

My Ride: MY06 530i, US Spec, Premium, Nav, HUD, Comfort seats, CWP, Sport package, Rear side airbags. Produced Sep 06.

Ain't that the truth, brother!
Old 09-13-2005, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Old 09-13-2005, 06:51 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, Jet Black/Black, Manual, Sport, Logic 7

Great post. Based on today's "standards," I don't know how any of us survived our childhoods. Our parents would probably be locked up for neglect.

IMO, most parents overreact to the media's coverage of child abductions, violence, etc. I would bet that the per capita occurences today are not higher than they were 20, 30, or 100 years ago. The difference today is that these stories sell newspapers and tv news programs by scaring people into thinking this is happening every day, in every neighborhood. A lot of parents figure it's safer to let the kids entertain themselves for hours on end with the internet or video games in the "safety" of their own homes.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 520d GT, Blue, Beige Dakota Leather, Pro Sat Nav, Interior Lights Pack, Adaptive Lights, Advanced Aircon

I survived !!!!!!!!!

Feel sad for the next generation though.

Yesterday I spent a few minutes talking to one of my 5yo sons friends at the school gate. He spent 4 weeks of the summer in a beach villa in grece. Fantastic i thought what a holiday !. When I asked him if he was in the sea every day, he replied. No - I played on my playstation. What ? All day ? says I. Yes, he replied full of glee, every day.

He's only 5, I could have cried
That is really sad - but a sign of modern times.
No wonder obesity rates a climbing - the world is full of couch (palystation) potatoes. The police, & armed forces have noticed a marked drop in fitness levels in those applying.

People also think it is a very unfriendly world out there, to some extent that may be true, but the fault lies with modern media & our own prejudices ........

I'll get off the soap box now .........

Quick Reply: For the kids who survived the 50's, 60's and 70's