Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Katrina's aftermath

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 01:47 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

First of all: This is not trying to bash the US government or an attempt to make people feel bad. I just don't understand what is happening in the area hit by this massive catastrophy.

I just got home from an evening of working and watched the late news. The things I saw on the news about New Orleans and the Biloxi area and the giant problems and anarchia that are arising there shocked me.

Maybe the news is making things look worse than it really is but I hope someone can enlighten us about what is happening in these areas.

People are lacking of fresh water and food in these areas. There was footage of an elderly lady that was dead in here wheelchair and was parked at a wall outside the superdome.
The USA always wants us to know that they are the mightiest country in the world. How is it possible that the news showed a thousand people standing in front of the Superdome crying for help?
These people need help desperately. USA get your soldiers and aid workers out of Iraq and start helping in your own country asap. I think it is a shame that citizens of these cities don't recieve the help that they deserve (and probably paid taxes for).

I really hope help is send out to these refugees as fast as possible. Extra info from US members would really help out here because the rest of the world watches these newsreports and do not understand how things are getting out of hand so badly.

My thoughts are with the people in the struck areas. I hope and wish everything gets sorted out as soon as possible and help us underway.

As said extra info is greatly appreciated so my (possibly biased) view in this situation is straightened out.....
Old 09-01-2005, 02:34 PM
Contributors

Obviously the situation is tragic and getting worse. I think one of the main problems they are having with relief efforts are the lack of roads and highways into the area. Most of the bridges in the areas along the coast have been distroyed and the roads are under water or covered with debris.

The military and relief agencies can fly in supplies but where do you put them for distribution when everything is flooded. With no power how do you let people know where to go to get help or supplies. I think this disaster has created a logistical nightmare that wasn't planned for. Once they work out the logistics of how to get the job done I think we will see a massive relief effort underway. I only hope the people can hold on until then.

I live just outside Los Angeles and disscussions about major earthquakes and being prepared for them occur regularly. I think most of the people in California realize that if a major earthquake occurs it could be days before help and supplies may arrive. We prepare earthquake kits to hopefully get us through that period of time. Water, food, portable radios, whatever we feel we will need for our families to survive are included in the kit. Sadly, it appears that alot of the people of New Orleans and surrounding areas were not prepared for the aftermath of this storm.

I believe hundreds of thousands of people are affected in a very large area. I think it's unrealistic to expect emergency centers and supplies to be in place within 48 hours of the event to help all of these people.

Altough I am sure more could be, and should be done sooner, I am confident that everything that can be done will be done.

My heart and prayers go out to the families affected by this tragedy.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

I totally understand what's currently going on there.

The government is helping, but there are too many people in a too huge area. They can't be everywhere.
The people in New Orleans are just trying to survive, when they steal and kill...
This is a real tragedy, and what I don't understand is: Why didn't the people leave the city, when they were ORDERED to do so?

I really hope things will get better there soon.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Sep 1 2005, 04:43 PM
I totally understand what's currently going on there.

The government is helping, but there are too many people in a too huge area. They can't be everywhere.
The people in New Orleans are just trying to survive, when they steal and kill...
This is a real tragedy, and what I don't understand is: Why didn't the people leave the city, when they were ORDERED to do so?

I really hope things will get better there soon.
[snapback]166087[/snapback]
Sorry Iceman, stealing food and water I totally understand. Stealing a garbage bag full of 20 pairs of Air Jordon shoes is not something you're doing for survival. Stealing TV's is not a survival effort. That's anarchy, lawlessness. And the local police have said as much, they will not stop people from taking food and water. But it is just chaos. The Army and Coast Guard are trying to use helicopters to evacuate people from the Superdome, but they had to stop because someone was firing shots at the helicopter! That is not just trying to survive.

Why didn't they leave, it's a poor city Iceman. Those folks left behind don't have cars. When an order comes to leave, they can't unless someone shows up with a bus. And that was not happening. Many had no choice but to stay. Others are complacent and have ridden out many storms. Figured they could ride this one out too. Now there is only one way in an out of the city, so getting rescue workers and supplies in is very difficult. And to truely get the supplies downtown where most folks are, they have to be flown in, that part of the city is an island.

The result I'm afraid will eventually be a death toll in the thousands in New Orleans alone. There is simply no way to go to every home and count the people trapped in their attics as the flood waters rose. There are vast areas of the city under water, to the rooftops. The message boards remind me a bit of 9/11, folks desperately looking for loved ones, not knowing where they are. Folks asking about parts of the city to see if there grandparents who refused to leave might be some of those folks dead where they drowned in their attics. As a citizen of New Orleans (now likely a former citizen ), it is very sad to see.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by kscarrol' date='Sep 2 2005, 01:12 AM
Sorry Iceman, stealing food and water I totally understand.? Stealing a garbage bag full of 20 pairs of Air Jordon shoes is not something you're doing for survival.? Stealing TV's is not a survival effort.?
As a citizen of New Orleans (now likely a former citizen ), it is very sad to see.
[snapback]166098[/snapback]
Well, a lot of them have lost everything, so shoes are also needed for teh loved ones. They can't do anything else with it. They can't sell the shoes and they can't leave the city with them... TV's... well, there is no power... I don't know about that...

But I totally agree with you, it is very very sad to see.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

This morning I read an amazing story in the paper. Someone stole a School Bus filled it with people from the Superdome an drove to the Astrodome in Houston. When they encountered victoms underway they picked them up and took them with them too.

So there are ways to get out of the city. It's a discrace that gangs are shooting at rescue helicopters. How wild and crazy can people react when they get in such a catastrophy?
Old 09-02-2005, 04:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

If you haven't already looked at this guy's site you should.

He is working at a data center (hardened facility) in New Orleans - he has been featured (or his site has anyway) on CNN. He's ex special-forces and has been providing reports and pictures.

Two shots of an E60 on the streets - someone actually driving it! From the grills I'd say 545i.

http://sigmund.biz/kat20050901%20par...Picture198.jpg

http://sigmund.biz/kat20050901%20par...Picture199.jpg

The main site is here:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/interdictor/

I think pretty much 100% of the existing emergency support doctrine is based upon the assumption that the people in need will be docile, cooperative, non-threatening, appreciative, and patient. It is apparent that the realities that presented themselves have derailed and slowed many of the efforts. FEMA is not an organization that operates a security force, and it has never been called upon to perform its duties under this kind of duress. I think we'll learn a lot from this tragedy - this chaotic reaction is a first (at least from the US perspective) and I'm sure this experience and knowledge will be used to do contingency planning in the future.

Oh, and this Wiki is pretty insanely good - http://wiki.nola-intel.org/index.php/Main_Page