Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Just sold my CBR1000RR and looking for a new bike...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 08:15 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Just sold my sportbike and am going to be getting another bike. However, this time I'm going to be looking more for a sport-touring bike that's a bit more comfortable - but still leaning towards the "sport" side of riding. For those of you who are riders, what would you recommend I check out?

Besides BMW's (which I will be looking at of course)
Old 02-12-2008, 10:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '08 535i Titanium Silver, Grey Dakota Comfort Seats-Premium Pkg, Nav, ipod, PDC, Steptronic Proud BMW owner since 9-1-07

There was a lot of hype about the Kawasaki Concours but some of the magazines have it coming up short against some of the others out there. My personal favorite, though I've never owned one, is the Yamaha FJR1300, all around, it may be the best runner of the bunch.
This may be the best time to be looking for a bike in this class. There are some great choices out there. Good luck.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:51 AM
Members

My Ride: 05 530D Sport E61

You really need to try some of the available bikes, the fireblade is a great bike and isnt a bad distance bike as sports bike goes so when you say that you want to go more sports touring is it the riding position? or is it "type" of riding you want to change?

You will find many of the twins (inc BMW) totally wierd after an I4 and will probably hate them for the first 1/2 hour, but once you get over this the torque of the twin gives you a great buzz.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by Rossman_999' post='530525' date='Feb 12 2008, 12:51 PM
You really need to try some of the available bikes, the fireblade is a great bike and isnt a bad distance bike as sports bike goes so when you say that you want to go more sports touring is it the riding position? or is it "type" of riding you want to change?

You will find many of the twins (inc BMW) totally wierd after an I4 and will probably hate them for the first 1/2 hour, but once you get over this the torque of the twin gives you a great buzz.
Rossman, I'm looking to change my riding from 90% hardcore sport riding to more of a 50/50 - sport touring mix. Before the CBR/Fireblade, I had a 2002 VFR which was a great mix for me. Prior to that I had a 1999 SuperHawk V-twin, that was a fun bike too. I may end up going back to the VFR as it was lighter than most sport touring bikes, and leaned towards the sporty side of things. Yet it had a larger fuel tank (a real fuel gauge), a bit larger windscreen, much better lighting, a bit more of an upright riding position, and could ride two in fairly good comfort. Only reason I hesitate, is that Honda has not updated this bike since it's debut in 2002 and the V-Tech is problamatic - kicks in/out right in the V4's sweet shift spot and is expensive to service, (I expect they will discontinue it once they do update this bike). I've always enjoyed long distance/back road riding and found myself not doing nearly as much of that knid of riding with the CBR...

thx
Old 02-22-2008, 07:27 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by SLORider' post='530477' date='Feb 12 2008, 11:26 AM
There was a lot of hype about the Kawasaki Concours but some of the magazines have it coming up short against some of the others out there. My personal favorite, though I've never owned one, is the Yamaha FJR1300, all around, it may be the best runner of the bunch.
This may be the best time to be looking for a bike in this class. There are some great choices out there. Good luck.

Thx SLOTown, this IS the fun part, checking out all the new stuff out there. I'm not familiar with the BMW (bike) line up, any suggestions on which BMW's to check out?

thx
Old 02-22-2008, 09:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535d M-Sport '06 Plate - Carbon Black - Black Leather - Pro Sat Nav - Logic 7 - HUD - Bluetooth - Privacy Glass - 172M 19" Alloys - Heated Seats - PDC - Adaptive Headlights - Extended Voice Control - Paintshield Extended - M5 Boot Finisher - Bright White LED Internal Lighting - Dension Gateway 500 Ipod/USB/Aux Integration

Old 02-22-2008, 01:24 PM
Members

Originally Posted by HotLap' post='534517' date='Feb 22 2008, 04:26 PM
Rossman, I'm looking to change my riding from 90% hardcore sport riding to more of a 50/50 - sport touring mix. Before the CBR/Fireblade, I had a 2002 VFR which was a great mix for me. Prior to that I had a 1999 SuperHawk V-twin, that was a fun bike too. I may end up going back to the VFR as it was lighter than most sport touring bikes, and leaned towards the sporty side of things. Yet it had a larger fuel tank (a real fuel gauge), a bit larger windscreen, much better lighting, a bit more of an upright riding position, and could ride two in fairly good comfort. Only reason I hesitate, is that Honda has not updated this bike since it's debut in 2002 and the V-Tech is problamatic - kicks in/out right in the V4's sweet shift spot and is expensive to service, (I expect they will discontinue it once they do update this bike). I've always enjoyed long distance/back road riding and found myself not doing nearly as much of that knid of riding with the CBR...

thx
I must admit I did not get on with the VFR, I found it very much all or nothing.
If you enjoyed the V twin, how about a ST wont be as fast as the fireblade but get it on a back road and it will be fun! http://www.ducati.com/en/bikes/my2007/Mode...mp;model=ST3-07
Old 02-22-2008, 02:36 PM
Members

For look and performance. get this.......MV Brutale
Attached Thumbnails Just sold my CBR1000RR and looking for a new bike...-brutale.jpg  
Old 02-22-2008, 05:57 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rossman_999' post='534690' date='Feb 22 2008, 02:24 PM
I must admit I did not get on with the VFR, I found it very much all or nothing.
If you enjoyed the V twin, how about a ST wont be as fast as the fireblade but get it on a back road and it will be fun! http://www.ducati.com/en/bikes/my2007/Mode...mp;model=ST3-07

hmm...I'll have to check it out - what's the weight on the ST...looks heavy (could just be the hard luggage though)?
Old 02-23-2008, 09:58 AM
Members

Originally Posted by HotLap' post='534758' date='Feb 23 2008, 02:57 AM
hmm...I'll have to check it out - what's the weight on the ST...looks heavy (could just be the hard luggage though)?
The hard luggage is a no no!

Its heavy at 201kg but if its like the other duc's it very well balanced, but the best bit of it is the noise especially with an open clutch and termi's

Quick Reply: Just sold my CBR1000RR and looking for a new bike...