Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Just picked up an iPod Nano...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 01:22 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by m5lover' date='Sep 25 2005, 01:13 AM
I heard that the cover scrathes pretty easily?
[snapback]174648[/snapback]
I was going to order a Nano, but I think I'll wait a while...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09/27/ip...ore_scratching/
Old 09-27-2005, 04:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Cool! that made up my mind... I'll wait for the iPod Pico instead.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:56 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by PhilS' date='Sep 27 2005, 02:22 PM
[quote name='m5lover' date='Sep 25 2005, 01:13 AM']I heard that the cover scrathes pretty easily?
[snapback]174648[/snapback]
I was going to order a Nano, but I think I'll wait a while...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09/27/ip...ore_scratching/
[snapback]175952[/snapback]
[/quote]

From today's Wall Street Journal:

Apple Will Replace
Damaged iPod Nano Screens

By NICK WINGFIELD
Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
September 28, 2005

Apple Computer Inc., responding to complaints from users of its sleek new iPod nano music player, said it will replace defective screens that cracked too easily on the devices.

In the three weeks since the Cupertino, Calif., company began selling the new product, users have posted complaints on Apple's own online discussion boards and independent Web sites about cracking on color iPod screens. In some of those, users also have complained about excessive scratches on the casing that houses their iPods, in some instances posting pictures of their scarred devices.

The complaints are a blemish on a product that Apple expects to be its biggest-selling portable device this holiday season, keeping up the momentum of its hugely successful iPod business. Apple has received widespread praise for the industrial design and wafer-thin profile of the iPod nano, which succeeds the iPod mini. The company sold 6.2 million iPods in its most recent quarter, generating about $1.1 billion, or about a third of Apple's total revenue.

Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of worldwide product marketing, said a "vendor quality problem" caused cracking on a small number of iPod nano screens, affecting "less than one-tenth of 1%" of the devices Apple has shipped. Apple's iPod nano warranty will cover devices with cracked screens, he said.

Matthew Peterson, an independent consultant in the financial-services industry, said he was so upset by the damage to his iPod nano that he created a Web site, ipodnanoflaw.com, later changing the name to flawedmusicplayer.com to avoid trademark conflicts with Apple. Mr. Peterson said the screen cracked on his device after he sat down with it in the front pocket of his pants, as he had done many times with other iPods he owns without damage occurring.

Mr. Peterson said he brought the iPod nano back to an Apple store in the Orange County, Calif., shopping mall from which he had purchased it and was told that Apple's warranty didn't cover the damage.

After his Web site began attracting widespread attention on the Internet, Mr. Peterson says, he was contacted by an Apple spokesman who told him the company would make a "one-time warranty exception" and send him a replacement for his iPod nano. When it arrives, Mr. Peterson said in a telephone interview, "I think I'll just leave it in the box."

Mr. Schiller said that the iPod nano's case and screen aren't more susceptible to scratching than previous versions of the iPod and that the company has received few complaints about the matter. On Mr. Peterson's Web site and others, iPod nano users complain of abrasions on their screens. Jeremy Horwitz, editor in chief of the iPod enthusiast Web site iLounge, said the company has received many reports of scratched screens from the site's readers.

Mr. Horwitz, in an email message, said iPod users have complained of scratches on prior versions of the iPod, one reason that protective cases have been so popular for the devices.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by stream' date='Sep 27 2005, 07:56 PM
After his Web site began attracting widespread attention on the Internet, Mr. Peterson says, he was contacted by an Apple spokesman who told him the company would make a "one-time warranty exception" and send him a replacement for his iPod nano. When it arrives, Mr. Peterson said in a telephone interview, "I think I'll just leave it in the box."
[snapback]176116[/snapback]
If I made a website saying how bad BMWs Business Radio is then will they contact me and offer me a "one-time warranty exception?" New 550i!!!!
Old 09-27-2005, 08:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Sep 27 2005, 10:37 PM
[quote name='stream' date='Sep 27 2005, 07:56 PM']After his Web site began attracting widespread attention on the Internet, Mr. Peterson says, he was contacted by an Apple spokesman who told him the company would make a "one-time warranty exception" and send him a replacement for his iPod nano. When it arrives, Mr. Peterson said in a telephone interview, "I think I'll just leave it in the box."
[snapback]176116[/snapback]
If I made a website saying how bad BMWs Business Radio is then will they contact me and offer me a "one-time warranty exception?" New 550i!!!!
[snapback]176141[/snapback]
[/quote]

Come on now... Apple's practices with the iPod have been despicable since the initial model was released. Just look at the huge class action settlement they made. Which reminds me... gotta get a few claims forms in by the 30th.

http://www.appleipodsettlement.com/