Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Just got back from my friend's viewing...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 04:33 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mbp727
Thanks for all the kind words everyone. His funeral was this afternoon.

What really gets me upset is his 3 little brothers that he left behind. The oldest (9 I think) of his little brothers prepared a speech and about 4 words in fell to the floor and burst into tears. Basically the entire church broke down, but I stayed strong for my friends and team. I remember the day last year when the captain of our high school hockey team walked into the locker room laughing about how Tyler was sick and couldn't come to practice because he smoked marijuana for the first time. He was just a little freshman, still trying to make friends and was taken advantage by the captain (a senior and big time druggie) and that's when he started down the wrong path. No one stepped in to say anything and to try to help him out, and now he's gone.

Our last game of the season is tomorrow night and we are planning on starting the game without a center, to commemorate him. Please if you guys have friends or family that are making bad decisions step up and help them out, even if they don't understand because you never know... might just save their life.
Man this brought tears too my eyes...it's so sad to see kids start to go down the wrong path...

A friend of mine has an alcoholic mother and he was on the wrong path...he was drinking wine alone on school nights to get drunk and forget...it was really tough for him, and he was alienating his friends because he didn't know how to deal with the problem...he moved up to Tampa...most of his friends left him to go down this path...but I kept talking to him because he had no one else to really turn to and I wasn't going to let him go down that road...after a couple of months of really talking to him a lot he got his life in order now...bad things happen when kids have no one to turn to.

Gonna give him a call now
Old 02-25-2010, 04:45 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i

Originally Posted by Krozi
Man this brought tears too my eyes...it's so sad to see kids start to go down the wrong path...

A friend of mine has an alcoholic mother and he was on the wrong path...he was drinking wine alone on school nights to get drunk and forget...it was really tough for him, and he was alienating his friends because he didn't know how to deal with the problem...he moved up to Tampa...most of his friends left him to go down this path...but I kept talking to him because he had no one else to really turn to and I wasn't going to let him go down that road...after a couple of months of really talking to him a lot he got his life in order now...bad things happen when kids have no one to turn to.

Gonna give him a call now

you're a good friend marc. why can't all everyone see life the way we see it... don't have totally obliterate your body to have a great time.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:47 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by mbp727
you're a good friend marc. why can't all everyone see life the way we see it... don't have totally obliterate your body to have a great time.
Thanks

I rarely see "real" friends these days...people you can really turn to...it's sad.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:50 PM
Senior Members

Thanks

I rarely see "real" friends these days...people you can really turn to...it's sad.
I feel ya man. I just pray that some of these kids that walked outside from the church and lit up a cigarette can learn something from this and change.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Wow, I'm about to be so un-PC right now... I apologize in advance to the OP - Brother, I'm just trying to ease the atmosphere a bit with a little joke. Again, please don't take this the wrong way. And now, drumroll please....

Marc, Craig's gonna kick you in the nuts for talking about his mother like that!

On a serious note, I do realize how important it is to help out friends who may be making some bad decisions. Just remember guys: the best way to help someone is to "manipulate" them into thinking they are taking the initiative to help themselves. Although, when it is critical, I guess it matters very little-to none as to how you help - as long as the results are there.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:15 PM
Senior Members

Haha thanks for that v, and your kind words
Old 02-25-2010, 05:22 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Wow, I'm about to be so un-PC right now... I apologize in advance to the OP - Brother, I'm just trying to ease the atmosphere a bit with a little joke. Again, please don't take this the wrong way. And now, drumroll please....
Marc, Craig's gonna kick you in the nuts for talking about his mother like that!
On a serious note, I do realize how important it is to help out friends who may be making some bad decisions. Just remember guys: the best way to help someone is to "manipulate" them into thinking they are taking the initiative to help themselves. Although, when it is critical, I guess it matters very little-to none as to how you help - as long as the results are there.
I think the most important thing is that the these people have someone to REALLY talk to...so they can really get everything off their chest...things seemed to start improving rapidly once I had talked to him about EVERYTHING that troubled him...just took a while.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:30 PM
Contributors

Marc, you are again proving to be a lot wiser than your age would suggest. Sometimes, people aren't comfortable sharing - you really have to get into their heads to truly help out. Most importantly, you have to let them know that you're there for them when they need someone.

Generally, I think in the U.S. it is not commonplace to "cry on friend's shoulders" - as opposed to, say, Russia. Also it doesn't help that the pharmaceutical companies are marketing drugs way worse than most illegal drugs right on public television and the entire culture is geared toward depressing people into substance abuse. They look at those who OD and pass away as collateral damage... either way, it is kind of like the kids are left to look out for themselves. And those who aren't lucky enough to have genes that make them immune to this shit, or whose parents work lots of hours and cannot dedicate the necessary time to parenting early on... jeeez, I think the list of problems is just way too long to list/discuss here. Its too bad that kids have to die to get us to focus on the lifestyle we all accept (even though, none of us signed up for this shit)...
Old 02-25-2010, 05:35 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Marc, you are again proving to be a lot wiser than your age would suggest. Sometimes, people aren't comfortable sharing - you really have to get into their heads to truly help out. Most importantly, you have to let them know that you're there for them when they need someone.

Generally, I think in the U.S. it is not commonplace to "cry on friend's shoulders" - as opposed to, say, Russia. Also it doesn't help that the pharmaceutical companies are marketing drugs way worse than most illegal drugs right on public television and the entire culture is geared toward depressing people into substance abuse. They look at those who OD and pass away as collateral damage... either way, it is kind of like the kids are left to look out for themselves. And those who aren't lucky enough to have genes that make them immune to this shit, or whose parents work lots of hours and cannot dedicate the necessary time to parenting early on... jeeez, I think the list of problems is just way too long to list/discuss here. Its too bad that kids have to die to get us to focus on the lifestyle we all accept (even though, none of us signed up for this shit)...
Agreed with everything especially that in the U.S. it is not commonplace to "cry on friend's shoulders"...
Old 02-25-2010, 05:39 PM
Contributors

Agreed with everything especially that in the U.S. it is not commonplace to "cry on friend's shoulders"...
I have a feeling I Kanye West'ed this thread a little - apologies. And dudes/chicks, just remember: there is ALWAYS a CHOICE! ALWAYS!