Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

iPhone 4 has major antenna design flaw

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 01:46 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Just copying and pasting links:

Apple's Apology Misses the Mark
Old 07-06-2010, 11:12 AM
Contributors

Aha!

Suck it James

AppleCare confirms the update will not fix the antenna problem

Told you you're an Apple fanatic.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:09 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Aha!

Suck it James

AppleCare confirms the update will not fix the antenna problem

Told you you're an Apple fanatic.
Gizmodo... The site that Apple is suing and the one now banned from Apple events... Right...

More inquiring minds would take time to consider the source before relying on hyperbole. I'd look for a more credible source than Gizmodo making unsolicited calls to Applecare.

Thing is, my phone and many others don't have the issue. This is, of course, of little comfort to those that do. What it does tell us, however, is that the cause of the issues for those that do is still unclear. It may well be a manufacturing issue, it may well be a software issue, but it's less likely to be solely a design issue as that would equally impact every phone - which it isn't. On this basis, I'm going to wait and see what does transpire before coming to any conclusions on what the real issue may be. And that, broadly, is the same point I've made all along...

There's little to be gained from ranting. If you're not happy, you should simply do as I said a few posts ago - take it back or sell it. You could of course also try for an exchange. Others are reporting that their exchange units are working much better than their original which also suggests that some of the initial phones quite probably had manufacturing issues - again, distinct from the design flaw that was posited as the root of the issue and which remains the actual topic of the thread.

Anyway - it is time to let this thread die. Until the new software is released or until we get a better explanation on what is happening we don't know the actual root cause of the issue. Little point in speculating until then.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Just when we thought the problems were over:
iTunes hacked
Old 07-06-2010, 02:12 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by pjinca
Just when we thought the problems were over:
iTunes hacked
LMAO! Now THAT'S how you do business! LMAO! Jkjk
Old 07-06-2010, 02:58 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames
Gizmodo... The site that Apple is suing and the one now banned from Apple events... Right...

More inquiring minds would take time to consider the source before relying on hyperbole. I'd look for a more credible source than Gizmodo making unsolicited calls to Applecare.

Thing is, my phone and many others don't have the issue. This is, of course, of little comfort to those that do. What it does tell us, however, is that the cause of the issues for those that do is still unclear. It may well be a manufacturing issue, it may well be a software issue, but it's less likely to be solely a design issue as that would equally impact every phone - which it isn't. On this basis, I'm going to wait and see what does transpire before coming to any conclusions on what the real issue may be. And that, broadly, is the same point I've made all along...

There's little to be gained from ranting. If you're not happy, you should simply do as I said a few posts ago - take it back or sell it. You could of course also try for an exchange. Others are reporting that their exchange units are working much better than their original which also suggests that some of the initial phones quite probably had manufacturing issues - again, distinct from the design flaw that was posited as the root of the issue and which remains the actual topic of the thread.

Anyway - it is time to let this thread die. Until the new software is released or until we get a better explanation on what is happening we don't know the actual root cause of the issue. Little point in speculating until then.
Dude, you don't read do you. Anandtech has done the research and due to the way Apple's software reports the bars, that's likely why you think you don't have this issue. With this antennae design flaw, you lose around 20db of signal. Now, if you're close to a tower, and has perfect 5 bars, even with the 20db signal drop, you still won't realize it, because the "error" Apple admitted to last week.

And why did Apple pick on Gizmodo? Because they first broke the news on the iPhone 4, when one of their employees left it behind at a bar. The general consensus regarding this behavior is that Apple is being a big bully, and simply being paranoid about iPhone 4's sales due to its early exposure.

Simply enough, even if Gizmodo does have an agenda against Apple at this point, but it does not remove them the liability of a slander suit if they are writing fabricated articles. Come on now, they know how sue-happy Apple is.

Where is your source for "Others are reporting that their exchange units are working much better than their original"? I have not come across anything close to this at all. Not sure why you suck up to Apple so much, are you an Apple employee?? The iPhone 4 has been taken apart by many different individuals and companies, and physically examining the hardware design, it's clear that it's a hardware flaw.

Truthfully said, your utter ignorance/denial baffles me and others in this thread.

Oh, and just to throw another issue against your beloved Apple product. Bluetooh automatic pairing seems to have some issues with iPhone 4 and iOS4. I have personally experienced this twice recently (phone does not auto pair with the car). I was researching this today, and it seems like it's a problem people are starting to notice.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:08 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

Damn Simon! I gave up awhile ago. Apple has a super kung fu grip on its customers. Apple can do no wrong in their mind. Props to Apple for having such loyal customers.

Dude, you don't read do you. Anandtech has done the research and due to the way Apple's software reports the bars, that's likely why you think you don't have this issue. With this antennae design flaw, you lose around 20db of signal. Now, if you're close to a tower, and has perfect 5 bars, even with the 20db signal drop, you still won't realize it, because the "error" Apple admitted to last week.

And why did Apple pick on Gizmodo? Because they first broke the news on the iPhone 4, when one of their employees left it behind at a bar. The general consensus regarding this behavior is that Apple is being a big bully, and simply being paranoid about iPhone 4's sales due to its early exposure.

Simply enough, even if Gizmodo does have an agenda against Apple at this point, but it does not remove them the liability of a slander suit if they are writing fabricated articles. Come on now, they know how sue-happy Apple is.

Where is your source for "Others are reporting that their exchange units are working much better than their original"? I have not come across anything close to this at all. Not sure why you suck up to Apple so much, are you an Apple employee?? The iPhone 4 has been taken apart by many different individuals and companies, and physically examining the hardware design, it's clear that it's a hardware flaw.

Truthfully said, your utter ignorance/denial baffles me and others in this thread.

Oh, and just to throw another issue against your beloved Apple product. Bluetooh automatic pairing seems to have some issues with iPhone 4 and iOS4. I have personally experienced this twice recently (phone does not auto pair with the car). I was researching this today, and it seems like it's a problem people are starting to notice.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:23 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by acuteperformance
Damn Simon! I gave up awhile ago. Apple has a super kung fu grip on its customers. Apple can do no wrong in their mind. Props to Apple for having such loyal customers.
Hah, I know. I should have just left it alone, but my personality, I can't stand it when people just plainly ignore reality. It's freaking insane to me how people can blindly turn a blind eye to the facts that has been unveiled, tests that have been conducted.

James, Steve Jobs doesn't care about you! He doesn't give a crap about any of us! Damn.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:24 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

if this was MS instead of Apple oh man imagine the carnage.

Hah, I know. I should have just left it alone, but my personality, I can't stand it when people just plainly ignore reality. It's freaking insane to me how people can blindly turn a blind eye to the facts that has been unveiled, tests that have been conducted.

James, Steve Jobs doesn't care about you! He doesn't give a crap about any of us! Damn.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

No one is turning a blind eye. You're simply not bothering to read and comprehend what others post.

As I said, it's time to let this thread die. And for your own sanity, return your phone.

Quick Reply: iPhone 4 has major antenna design flaw