Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!
View Poll Results: Have you reserved an apple iPad?
Yes
13.33%
No
70.00%
Waiting for 3G
16.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

iPad Poll

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010 | 03:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by pukka
Two of my colleagues where I work have one. For the media experience it's much better than a laptop. I was told there is even a Kindle app - thinking about getting one for the wife.

I heard there is some sort of app in the works that will allow it send and receive email from a server (e.g BES server) which could mimic the blackberry. Things could get interesting if that is the case...
It's got direct Microsoft Exchange Server integration (it mirrors the iPhone in this respect) and with the Citrix Receiver for iPad you can also tap directly in to your corporate Citrix environment. With Citrix, I can "run" Outlook on my iPad and open all attachments with the MS Office suite. It's as fast and responsive as if the apps were running directly on the iPad. I highly recommend it!
Old 05-04-2010 | 03:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package

Oh, and apropos of nothing in particular, Apple has sold over a million of these already - as I predicted above...

It actually took the original iPhone 74 days to sell a million units, the iPad did it in less than 30.
Old 05-04-2010 | 04:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by swajames
Oh, and apropos of nothing in particular, Apple has sold over a million of these already - as I predicted above...

It actually took the original iPhone 74 days to sell a million units, the iPad did it in less than 30.
Yes the sales rate is astonishing.

I wonder how long before there is an Android equivalent to the iPad. Clearly Apple has once again created a new niche.
Old 05-04-2010 | 05:43 PM
Contributors

Haha, I was following this thread to see who would be right, looks like Steve was on point. Responding to this thread from my iPod.
Old 05-04-2010 | 06:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

I freaking LOVE my iPad, I have it jailbroken. I use it all the time.
Old 05-04-2010 | 06:38 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Jet Black|Black Options: Sport|Premium|Cold Weather|PDC|Nav|Satellite Radio|Active Steering|Convenience Entry Mods: Trinity Side Skirts|Trinity Black Grilles|LCI Tail Lights with Bruce V6|Fog Light Bezel Rings|MTEC V2 Angel Eyes|LED License Plate Lights

I have had mine since they first launched and I love it. I had to bring my daughter into work with me the other day. (She is 7). Using iTunes we downloaded a few kids cartoons. She watched them for a while. Then she played a pinball app. There are educational apps she could have played as well. I was able to get about 3 hours of work done while she was occupied with the device. I use it regularly to read the paper, handle email, view maps, etc. What a great device!
Old 05-05-2010 | 03:34 AM
Contributors

It certainly is an amazingly useful device, and it is already revolutionizing the market...its very user friendly and user interactive, it is exactly what most people need in terms of a computer, you can surf the web all day and nite right from your lap, so where you wont sit on your couch and play with you laptop confortably while watching tv, you can certainly check something on the ipad seemelessly right from your lap...its great too as it becomes a social device, where u can pass around at a dining table which would not be practical with a MBP for example, and of course its portable and will eventually overtake the ebook reader market as no other device can compare once in use. I havent gotten mine yet but have played with it many times now, and my cuz brought his over to my bbq this weekend, and its so much fun to tap right into my wifi network and play together...his only complaint thus far is that his kids fight over it and he's going to have to buy at least one more!

The nay sayers should give it a "test drive" before discarding the concept just because its from Apple
Old 05-05-2010 | 04:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Sport Package, Black/Grey. Got it July 09.
Model Year: 2004

iPad is a lame excuse for a product because of no flash support. Yeah, the app store might save its ass, but its crap. The internet is where we're at right now and no flash support means a crappy internet experience. It is definitely a giant iPod. I don't own an iPad or an iPhone, but I will buy an iPhone soon. This... I'll hold off until it has all the minimum requirements needed to enjoy at least the internet. Apple always leaves features out just so their customers can dish out more money to gain access to features that should have been supported from the get-go (which is something I HATE about Apple). It seems that every apple item is marketed to people who don't know much about computers... or anything that has to do with em.

On second thought, I'll stay away from iPad completely because I really don't have time to play games.

And if Apple releases a 3G version... well that's just pure evil (and marketing genius) (but still evil) considering 4G is already starting to take over...
Old 05-05-2010 | 05:41 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by danzanchy
iPad is a lame excuse for a product because of no flash support. Yeah, the app store might save its ass, but its crap. The internet is where we're at right now and no flash support means a crappy internet experience. It is definitely a giant iPod. I don't own an iPad or an iPhone, but I will buy an iPhone soon. This... I'll hold off until it has all the minimum requirements needed to enjoy at least the internet. Apple always leaves features out just so their customers can dish out more money to gain access to features that should have been supported from the get-go (which is something I HATE about Apple). It seems that every apple item is marketed to people who don't know much about computers... or anything that has to do with em.

On second thought, I'll stay away from iPad completely because I really don't have time to play games.

And if Apple releases a 3G version... well that's just pure evil (and marketing genius) (but still evil) considering 4G is already starting to take over...
You've clearly never used one... The internet experience for me is the best in the mobile device business. As for Flash - it is dead. Microsoft's head of the internet explorer division supported Apple's stance on Flash week. The reality is that there is very little missing. Virtually all internet video (including that wrapped up in a Flash layer) is H.264 encoded or available in H.264 which the device does support.

I suspect most Apple users, contrary to your generalization, are WAY more tech savvy than you suggest. The early adopters that line up to get these things - more than a million of them in a month - are not your "average" user. In fact, I'd argue that your perspective that Flash is where the internet is shows us where the real lack of awareness is.
Old 05-05-2010 | 05:55 AM
Contributors

As for Flash - it is dead.
Only in the same way the petrol/gasoline engine is dead. Sure the future is bleak, but they're all over the freaking place just like Flash is still installed in 98% of all computers.

Quick Reply: iPad Poll