Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Investing BMW stocks

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 12:10 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW M5

I am looking to buy/sell shares in Europe.

Funny... the first thing to come in my mind is BMW. http://www.bmwgroup.com

Is there any e60.net member investing BMW? worth or not?
Old 07-25-2008, 12:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

Personally I wouldnt at the moment. With tough times ahead one of the things people cut back on is nice cars. My local dealership has just closed and another SA for BMW my mum knows is having a really hard time shifting metal at the moment(hes almost broke without the comission coming in).
Old 07-25-2008, 01:48 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW E60 530dA, Nav. Pro., Leather redorange, black sappire met., HUD, Dynamic Drive, Active Steering, Sunroof, AC, Bi-Xenon/Adaptive, 245 275 19" with Falken 452's, Alpina Rims, el. Seats, autom. Mirrors, BMW Cellphone, CD Changer, M Style, Interior wood border oliv (M5), LED tail lights...

Originally Posted by miguex' post='632707' date='Jul 25 2008, 10:10 PM
I am looking to buy/sell shares in Europe.

Funny... the first thing to come in my mind is BMW. http://www.bmwgroup.com

Is there any e60.net member investing BMW? worth or not?
Hi,

funny question in forum

as a Financial Coach I wouldn't advice neither BMW nor any other "car stock". I think the entire industry has to handle a lot of different problems - oil, environment, prices, China ... so no one are really able to say, witch direction "the ship" will follow...

The analyst won't get tired saying that a stock investment is a long term investment - so do I, but what do you have, if your stock first rises high and after that it come down like a 747 with a broken wing - you are right there where you started from...

If you want to buy european stock, take a look one step eastern, Poland, Russia, Middle East - upgrowing markets, still low prices...

May fortune be with you
Old 07-26-2008, 10:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Sapphire Black Metallic 525i. Beige Dakota Leather, Premium package, bluetooth, BMW Assist, Xenon adaptive lights, Sirius radio

I thought it was privately owned by the Quandt family?
Old 07-26-2008, 10:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

"Buy cheap... sell high"

So as the market drives the value of these types of stocks down (due to oil prices and other factors), I would imagine that would be the best time to purchase them, unless you think BMW is going bankrupt and will be out of business.

When your broker tells you that everyone's selling, it's the time to buy. When he tells you everyone's buying, it's the time to sell. Simple demand and supply
Old 07-26-2008, 12:26 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by mrfva' post='633128' date='Jul 26 2008, 02:57 PM
"Buy cheap... sell high"

So as the market drives the value of these types of stocks down (due to oil prices and other factors), I would imagine that would be the best time to purchase them, unless you think BMW is going bankrupt and will be out of business.

When your broker tells you that everyone's selling, it's the time to buy. When he tells you everyone's buying, it's the time to sell. Simple demand and supply
Not exactly - you have to pay attention to what a particular company has planned for the short and long term future. Then its wait and see how it pans out.

Everyone sells for a reason. Example: GM's stock has just about bottomed out within the last year due to nagging labor issues and $4 per gallon gas which has led to almost 20% sales drops in its current sales cow (Silverado and Tahoe). Now they've jumped on the hybrid bandwagon and their plan is to sell more smaller, fuel efficient cars. So if you invest in them now, you are betting that their lineup is going to bring them back to good profits. But if you really took the time to research them you may find some other issues that you think would keep their stock price down. So the buy because everyone's selling approach doesn't always work out.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:16 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pukka' post='633163' date='Jul 26 2008, 11:26 PM
Not exactly - you have to pay attention to what a particular company has planned for the short and long term future. Then its wait and see how it pans out.

Everyone sells for a reason. Example: GM's stock has just about bottomed out within the last year due to nagging labor issues and $4 per gallon gas which has led to almost 20% sales drops in its current sales cow (Silverado and Tahoe). Now they've jumped on the hybrid bandwagon and their plan is to sell more smaller, fuel efficient cars. So if you invest in them now, you are betting that their lineup is going to bring them back to good profits. But if you really took the time to research them you may find some other issues that you think would keep their stock price down. So the buy because everyone's selling approach doesn't always work out.
Yes i agree! That's called the "herding instinct"
Old 07-27-2008, 12:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by Martin525i' post='633122' date='Jul 26 2008, 08:31 PM
I thought it was privately owned by the Quandt family?

I think they have 51% of total shares or so .
Old 07-27-2008, 04:30 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='633460' date='Jul 27 2008, 02:16 AM
Yes i agree! That's called the "herding instinct"
"This term is used in the investing world to refer to the forces that cause unsubstantiated rallies or sell-offs."

Which is quite opposite of what I said... my point being is that when everyone else is following the herding instinct (sell, sell, sell -- or buy, buy, buy), you have to go in the opposite direction. This is a general statement (of course) which would also require some research on your part prior to any investment activity. The problem with herd instinct is that people do what they see most folks do, not necessarily knowing why -- but simply because everyone's doing it. And if everyone's doing it, it must be right .
Old 07-27-2008, 04:34 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pukka' post='633163' date='Jul 26 2008, 03:26 PM
But if you really took the time to research them you may find some other issues that you think would keep their stock price down. So the buy because everyone's selling approach doesn't always work out.
Point taken You should always research (of course) prior to investing.

Quick Reply: Investing BMW stocks