Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

inconsiderate bums

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 01:17 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by cobradav' date='Aug 31 2005, 01:55 PM
Don't get me started

oh well too late time to vent

I have always respected everybody elses car or any property for that matter.? I just don't see it any other way.? I have driven some pretty s***y cars in my time but never at any time would I have not done a very careful dance to keep from even touching anything next to me.? I wish others would do the same.? Unfortunately, they do not so I, too, park far away from the maddening crowd unless the the parking lot has extra wide spaces and even that is not enough at times.? I know how frustrating this is to many of us here.? Some folks just don't get it. ?
[snapback]165701[/snapback]
Agree. I've even instilled this in my 2 young kids. They always open their doors slowly and carefully.

Funny story--probably 8 years ago I took my kids to a SF Giants game at (then called) Candlestick Park, which had very, very narrow parking spaces. I parked very far from the stadium, hopeful the lot wouldn't fill up that far away. The game wasn't close so we left after the 7th inning, got to the car (a Porsche--so a 2 door) and while my daughter was getting into the back seat, she unwittingly pushed the door against the car next to us . I cringed when I heard the thud...and 2 seconds later the owners (not that it matters, but it was a pretty old subcompact) were there and gave us shit for not respecting others' property. I pleaded mea culpa and told the owners how respectful my children and I were of others cars, but they ranted on. Fortunately they had one of those huge rubber side moldings and no damage was done. We (my kids and I--not the other party) got a good laugh out of it, and it served as a good reinforcement for my kids, who prior to that thought I was being anal every time we'd park and I tell them to be careful opening the doors.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:40 PM
Members

In outdoor parking lots, I always try to park next to one of those small grassy islands which are very prevalent where I live. At least this way I have narrowed my odds of getting dinged by 50%. Problem is I am competing with all the other people with nice cars who are looking for the same spots.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

I agree, try to park next to a grass island on one side if you can; or a pillar (those rarely jump out at a car).

OR, if you have to park next to a car, (A) park next to the nicest car you can find, as they will hopefully also be careful (I parked between a Cayenne and an E39 M5 today -- I think I'm safe), and ( try to park on the side of their passenger door, not driver's door, so if it is just one person in the car, they will not open the door on your side at all.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:07 PM
Senior Members

i try not to park next to a car with babyseat inside or a coupe with the driver/passenger's seat moved forward. chances are they need to open the door wider to get the baby in or let the other passenger go to the back. i also park my car next to wall/the very last stall and that is the same theory as hpowders .
Old 08-31-2005, 03:55 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550 6 speed Carbon Black, Gray Dakota Leather, Black Bamboo Trim, Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Sun Shades, Aux Input

People who bang your door is one of my biggest pet peeves - some people are so inconsiderate about other people's property. Most of the time it is not malicious - just people with their heads firmly planted in their a@@.

My technique is very similar to the others that have posted. I park far away from the store, usually near grassy islands (if possible). I never take up more than one spot or park diagonally in a spot - it is just asking for someone to mess with your car.

One thing I have noticed is that the end spots in many parking lots are often wider than the others. I think it is because when they lay out the spots they start at one end and when they finish there is a little space left over - too small for another spot - so they just make the last spot wider.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:57 PM
Contributors

05E60Black545i: that sucks. i hate it when people disregard other people's property. you're right; it's not about the e60, it's about the principle.

wolverine: i like your strategy - i'll do that next time!

by the way, i'm always puzzled whenever i park far away, it seems like more often than not when i come back there's someone parked next to me, yet there's plenty of space on both sides. what's up with that?
Old 08-31-2005, 04:10 PM
Members

I too used to park far away until one day I was swipped across the rear bumber and quarter panel. There were no cars within 20 parking spots so I am assuming that someone cut through the parking lot and got too close. Of course, no note left so I had to pay my own insurance deductable. Now I try the end spots or park next to the nicest cars in the parking lot.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:06 PM
JC3
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 E90 335i Titanium Silver GONE - 2005 530i Titanium Grey

Originally Posted by 05E60Black545i' date='Sep 1 2005, 07:30 AM
thats so sad, that you've actually caught them in action, if I see a nice car, I say good for that person that he or she worked hard enough to be able to purchase it.? For someone to deliberatly harm somebody elses property, is absurd, what the hell
[snapback]165689[/snapback]
Greg Norman (the golfer) once said that's the difference between the US and Australia. In the US, he can park his Ferrari on the street and people will say "you've done well" while in Australia, they'll take a key along the side of it.

Thoughtless door opening resulting in bumps to the next car is definitely an international problem.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 525

i always try to park next to other nice, expensive cars....never near SUV's.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:42 AM
Members

Park as far away from the store as possible in outdoor parking lots. The probability of dings increases the closer you are to the store. It seems laziness and being inconsiderate go together.
If I have to park next to a car, I make sure that it is far away from the store and it is at least as nice as mine since the driver parked there for the same reason as I did and then just hope your number isn't up.
I agree that it helps to go to stores when the majority of people don't. I prefer early to late because with darkness comes crime. I rather go to a supermarket at 8 AM than 11 PM.

Quick Reply: inconsiderate bums