Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

If you thought speed cameras were bad!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007 | 11:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

What tools...I am sure there also are big signs saying not to drive through the barriers or tailgate the busses.
Old 01-09-2007 | 12:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Originally Posted by nickolas_g' post='375835' date='Jan 9 2007, 08:12 PM
What tools...I am sure there also are big signs saying not to drive through the barriers or tailgate the busses.
There are. Very evident as "wrong way"/"no entry" LED signs in the first 10 seconds of the film, where you see the red car turning right at the roundabout.
Old 01-09-2007 | 12:19 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dlevi67' post='375868' date='Jan 10 2007, 01:00 AM
There are. Very evident as "wrong way"/"no entry" LED signs in the first 10 seconds of the film, where you see the red car turning right at the roundabout.
Speaking about details have you seen how the airbags deploy in the suv, or how the guy hits the windshield with the head at the end?!
Old 01-09-2007 | 01:02 PM
Senior Members

That system is a recipe for disaster - I can't believe it goes up when a car has passed halfway over it.
Old 01-09-2007 | 01:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Some of the comments here are surprisingly immature. It looked like some small children were in the back of the Citroen MPV - they could have been seriously hurt in that incident. Despite the warnings, if you are a) unfamilar with the traffic flows or b) driving behind a large vehicle it is perfectly possible to miss the signs and get caught up like this. I agree with LowOrbit -that's a ridiculous and dangerous traffic control measure by any stretch of the imagination.
Old 01-09-2007 | 02:05 PM
Senior Members

That could quite be the worst thing I have ever seen lol.

To anyone that has those traffic control measures in their country. Are you just shit out of luck if your car gets hit by those lol, I cant even begin to imagine what that does to the undercarriage of the cars... that video makes me sad :'(
Old 01-09-2007 | 03:47 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='375889
Some of the comments here are surprisingly immature. It looked like some small children were in the back of the Citroen MPV - they could have been seriously hurt in that incident. Despite the warnings, if you are a) unfamilar with the traffic flows or b) driving behind a large vehicle it is perfectly possible to miss the signs and get caught up like this. I agree with LowOrbit -that's a ridiculous and dangerous traffic control measure by any stretch of the imagination.
mmm... I'd like to suspend judgment on that. The first clip (with the silver car) shows that clearly the driver is trying it on - perfectly aware of the poles and that buses and public service vehicles can open them. We don't know what sort of warning is displayed before the restricted area in addition to the No Entry LED signs, but having seen similar stuff in operation in other places I doubt there is no other signage.

At any rate, let's assume that there are no poles coming up, but there is simply a normal metal No Entry sign. Why would a driver EVER be justified if he entered the road in that situation? If you are unfamiliar with traffic flows in an area, then slow down and read the signs. Following the vehicle in front is no excuse either.

Given that people believe they are smarter than the law - and all three vehicles caught in the mess seem to me as if they are trying to beat the system - perhaps enforcing it causing direct, painful consequences for the lawbreakers is the only way?
Old 01-09-2007 | 06:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by dlevi67' post='376018' date='Jan 9 2007, 04:47 PM
Given that people believe they are smarter than the law - and all three vehicles caught in the mess seem to me as if they are trying to beat the system - perhaps enforcing it causing direct, painful consequences for the lawbreakers is the only way?
I do agree with the majority of your post, and drivers are ultimately responsible for their own actions, but is a traffic enforcement measure with the direct potential to injure, maim or perhaps even kill worth the risk?? Anticipating the likely lunacy of some road users, and seeing how quickly that barrier rises out of the street after the authorized vehicle has passed, it's not hard to work out what's going to happen... Whatever we may want to do to the parents, it really doesn't take much of an impact to injure a child. There are easily enough cameras around in UK high streets that the driver could be punished in other ways - much as the taxi or bus lanes are enforced in and around London.
Old 01-09-2007 | 10:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by swajames' post='376110' date='Jan 10 2007, 11:32 AM
I do agree with the majority of your post, and drivers are ultimately responsible for their own actions, but is a traffic enforcement measure with the direct potential to injure, maim or perhaps even kill worth the risk?? Anticipating the likely lunacy of some road users, and seeing how quickly that barrier rises out of the street after the authorized vehicle has passed, it's not hard to work out what's going to happen... Whatever we may want to do to the parents, it really doesn't take much of an impact to injure a child. There are easily enough cameras around in UK high streets that the driver could be punished in other ways - much as the taxi or bus lanes are enforced in and around London.
I agree with your point as those poles clearly come up too fast. Yes those people in the three cars that are trying to beat the system should deserve some kind of punishment, there is a camera there that is filiming the action so I think sending them a ticket afterward shouldn't be too much trouble. Enforcing it causing direct, painful consequences for the lawbreakers is so uncivilized, that's like saying capital punishment is a good thing.
Old 01-10-2007 | 08:17 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames' post='376110' date='Jan 10 2007, 03:32 AM
I don't know. I cannot imagine that a camera is more expensive than the "pillars of Hercules" device, so there must be a reason why the traffic management authorities have decided to use a potentially dangerous method. Would deterrence be lower with a camera?

A stinger-type device (like the ones at rent-a-car places in many USA airports) may be another way - at least deflated and shredded tyres will stop you PDQ but will not cause immediate damage to vehicle occupants.

Quick Reply: If you thought speed cameras were bad!!!!!!