Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

I got a ticket today and have a court order

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 06:44 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yesterday night I was driving home and it was really dark out, I was on a long wide street with absolutely no cars on the road. I was driving normally and then I look at my speedometer and realize I am doing 80mph in a 45 zone. I immediately apply my brakes to slow down, and about 500 meters after, I see blue and red lights behind me . I have only driven the 545i a month or so and am still getting used to how fast this car is, it has a tendency to creep up on you, especially at night when you don't have any reference points to approximate how fast you are going. The cop was on the other side of the street and tagged me and made a U-turn and caught up with me. I pull to the right and then you know what happens. So I get a ticket and he tells me there is a new law out that if you go 30mph or above the posted speed limit, you get a court order. So know I have to go to court, but I don't know when, it didn't say on the ticket, and I am not sure what to do, if I don't make it to court I get a suspended license so I need to know how to find out when my court day is. Can some body give me insight on my situation? I never had to go to court before for a speeding ticket.

Thank you

-Krozi
Old 11-16-2008, 06:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='722505' date='Nov 16 2008, 08:44 AM
Yesterday night I was driving home and it was really dark out, I was on a long wide street with absolutely no cars on the road. I was driving normally and then I look at my speedometer and realize I am doing 80mph in a 45 zone. I immediately apply my brakes to slow down, and about 500 meters after, I see blue and red lights behind me . I have only driven the 545i a month or so and am still getting used to how fast this car is, it has a tendency to creep up on you, especially at night when you don't have any reference points to approximate how fast you are going. The cop was on the other side of the street and tagged me and made a U-turn and caught up with me. I pull to the right and then you know what happens. So I get a ticket and he tells me there is a new law out that if you go 30mph or above the posted speed limit, you get a court order. So know I have to go to court, but I don't know when, it didn't say on the ticket, and I am not sure what to do, if I don't make it to court I get a suspended license so I need to know how to find out when my court day is. Can some body give me insight on my situation? I never had to go to court before for a speeding ticket.

Thank you

-Krozi

Sorry for the ticket.....but its pretty standard there will be a phone number on the back of the ticket you can call. If not, on the face of the ticket it should reference what court number you have to appear in, so you could just call the court. Usually a ticket like that where there is not date you have like 30 days to call the court and set an arraignment date or something like that. In any case best thing to do is Monday call the court and get your the procedure straight, so you dont get a summons issued against you.

With your driving record of never having a got a ticket, I would say you can get it reduced by taking a defensive driving course and some sort of probation. Every state is a little different, but most if not all offer reduced sentence for your acceptance to take a driving course. I am not advocating you go in there and plead guilty or anything like that, but with the amount of miles you were over the limit it would be hard to walk away scottfree. I can tell from experience though for what you pay a lawyer to do, you can pretty much go in there and get the same results, so if all you got is speeding and a clean record, I wouldnt waste your money on a lawyer.

GL
Old 11-16-2008, 07:00 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by IceyTys' post='722508' date='Nov 16 2008, 10:53 AM
Sorry for the ticket.....but its pretty standard there will be a phone number on the back of the ticket you can call. If not, on the face of the ticket it should reference what court number you have to appear in, so you could just call the court. Usually a ticket like that where there is not date you have like 30 days to call the court and set an arraignment date or something like that. In any case best thing to do is Monday call the court and get your the procedure straight, so you dont get a summons issued against you.

With your driving record of never having a got a ticket, I would say you can get it reduced by taking a defensive driving course and some sort of probation. Every state is a little different, but most if not all offer reduced sentence for your acceptance to take a driving course. I am not advocating you go in there and plead guilty or anything like that, but with the amount of miles you were over the limit it would be hard to walk away scottfree. I can tell from experience though for what you pay a lawyer to do, you can pretty much go in there and get the same results, so if all you got is speeding and a clean record, I wouldnt waste your money on a lawyer.

GL
Thanks for the reply, I am probably going to take a 4 hour online driver course which would result in 18% off my ticket, no increased insurance, and I get to keep my safe driver status, plus no points. Btw, If you take the driver course and they catch me speeding again will my next ticket be more expensive or the same?
Old 11-16-2008, 07:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='722511' date='Nov 16 2008, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the reply, I am probably going to take a 4 hour online driver course which would result in 18% off my ticket, no increased insurance, and I get to keep my safe driver status, plus no points. Btw, If you take the driver course and they catch me speeding again will my next ticket be more expensive or the same?
Honestly it really just depends, depends if its the same municipality, how much time has passed between tickets, whether or not the 1st ticket shows up on your driving record, etc. I know in Texas you could get deferred adjudicated probation and as long as you didnt get another ticket in 6 months it wouldnt even show up on your record. Basically since this is your very 1st ticket you got alot going for you, I would talk to the DA and explain your situation and how important it is you maintain a clean drivers record and Id be willing to bet they'd work with you.

In the end they really just want their money, if you go in there explain your case and your willing to make things better by taking a driving course etc, they be willing to help you out. What I did one time here in Colorado was take the course even before I went to court, and that earns you kudos with the DA. Youre gonna have to take the course anyway, but it will show youre being pro-active.

GL
Old 11-16-2008, 07:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

Key Krozi - sorry about the ticket man. I agree with Icey-Ts remarks. Go ahead and take the defensive driving course before your court date. A lawyer really isn't going to help out. Explain that you realized you were speeding and were slowing down [new car, late at night and all that stuff], to the DA. Most important of all, APOLOGIZE and state you know it was YOUR MISTAKE. But make no admission of GUILT [there is a difference] or comments about speed...you can always challenge later then, just in case...

Once that's in the clear - the DA will probably challenge you to some form of financial penalty. If you were in a residential neighborhood [which I assume you were], there will prob be a probation period involved. So, if you get another ticket during that time, you risk suspension of your license. Keep it cool on the throttle and stay in the right lane till you understand your car and speed.... And consider investing in a V1 my friend. It may save your ass next time....

S
Old 11-16-2008, 07:38 AM
Contributors

I suppose the mandatory court date is for "30 and over" is intended to take the most serious of offenses to the Prosecutor and Judge and not clog the courts with "administrative" actions that would otherwise take too much time and not result in much revenue.

A lawyer, unless related to you and showing up for free, isn't likely to help you.

Many municipalities have a pre-trial program where someone on the prosecutor's staff will meet with you and determine if the ticket can be knocked down to a lesser violation. I suggest, since you are not claiming that you were wrongly ticketed, you beg for mercy, swear you will sin no more, and pray for the best outcome. Once agreed to by the prosecutor you may still have to face Judge who will finally determine your fate!

Then you alone will have to come to grips with your wrong-doing ... repent ... drive slower ... control that beast in you and under the hood of your 545 [especially in reduced speed zones].
Old 11-16-2008, 07:38 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by subarashi' post='722518' date='Nov 16 2008, 11:24 AM
Key Krozi - sorry about the ticket man. I agree with Icey-Ts remarks. Go ahead and take the defensive driving course before your court date. A lawyer really isn't going to help out. Explain that you realized you were speeding and were slowing down [new car, late at night and all that stuff], to the DA. Most important of all, APOLOGIZE and state you know it was YOUR MISTAKE. But make no admission of GUILT [there is a difference] or comments about speed...you can always challenge later then, just in case...

Once that's in the clear - the DA will probably challenge you to some form of financial penalty. If you were in a residential neighborhood [which I assume you were], there will prob be a probation period involved. So, if you get another ticket during that time, you risk suspension of your license. Keep it cool on the throttle and stay in the right lane till you understand your car and speed.... And consider investing in a V1 my friend. It may save your ass next time....

S
Thanks that's good advice man, I appreciate it. You too Icey-T. I am going to take an online course today and get it mailed to me. Do I just present the certificate in court?
Old 11-16-2008, 07:53 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='722532' date='Nov 16 2008, 09:38 AM
Thanks that's good advice man, I appreciate it. You too Icey-T. I am going to take an online course today and get it mailed to me. Do I just present the certificate in court?
Some states require the driving school to mail the certified copy straight to the court, but you'll still get a copy of completion certificate from the school. Not knowing what is required in FL, I cant 100% answer your question, but to answer your question partially....... YES bring any proof that you took the course with you.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:37 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='722505' date='Nov 16 2008, 04:44 PM
I am doing 80mph in a 45 zone. I immediately apply my brakes to slow down,
-Krozi
Sad to hear of your ticket, but..................didn't realise you were doing 80 in a 45, I know these cars are quiet and smooth, but really.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:55 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by KAF' post='722614' date='Nov 16 2008, 02:37 PM
Sad to hear of your ticket, but..................didn't realise you were doing 80 in a 45, I know these cars are quiet and smooth, but really.
I shouldn't have been driving I was a little tired.

Quick Reply: I got a ticket today and have a court order