Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

I caved

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 06:32 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tex_phil
You don't even need to spend the extra on 3g per month if you have a iPhone. If your iphone is jailbroken you can tether from the iPad to use the iphones 3g connection.
That is exactly what i was about to say. Just Use Tethering from your phone to use Tethering, BUT, tethering DOES COST. They do charge you for Tethering (check you local carrier, in Canada, they ALL CHARGE YOU).

But if you have an HTC, you can bypass the tethering detection and no one would know you tething That's why I LOVE HTC.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by v_therussian
I'm definitely getting one, but would like to hold out until at least the flash issue is resolved - the multi-tasking and camera would be nice too, but that I'd probably have to wait at least a year for.
There will never be Flash support. The iPhone doesn't have it, Apple will never include it. Apple thinks HTML5 is the way forward and that Flash is a declining technology. The issue in part is that Adobe's Mac support has always been poor and Apple doesn't trust them to develop decent software. The other is that Flash is a resource hog and will reduce battery life. What you're now seeing is sites retool to get away from Flash and to use less proprietary technologies That will accelerate with the iPad's release - the iPhone already blazed the trail and it is today by far the most utilized mobile browsing device in North America. It doesn't have flash support. With getting on for 200,000 apps you don't miss flash. And yes, there is plenty of one handed surfing material available that doesn't need flash. Or so I am told.

The iPad does multi task but only at the system app level. It is only the third-party apps that are restricted. I've never had a situation on either my iPhone and now my iPad where this was remotely an issue. Either way, the 4.0 release of the OS may well bring it. It is rumored to be one of the included features.

I will give you the camera point. There is in fact a space where the camera was clearly intended to fit. It is not clear why Apple left the camera out of this initial revision, but you can be sure it will be in a future revision.

Then again, the iPad isn't meant to be a laptop replacement and it isn't meant to be a phone replacement. The question is whether the included features were the right ones given what the iPad is, not what some mistakenly think it was supposed to be. I think Apple got it dead on.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:47 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames
I will give you the camera point. There is in fact a space where the camera was clearly intended to fit. It is not clear why Apple left the camera out of this initial revision, but you can be sure it will be in a future revision.
The camera is just useless. When V mentioned it, I thought "he has been up all night "

I don't see the point of a Camera being on a 10" pad. The price is not only already high(and that's the NON-3G one), putting a camera on it will only jack up the price further more :thumbsdown:
Old 04-04-2010, 06:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package

Originally Posted by Bteljuice
The camera is just useless. When V mentioned it I though "he has been up all night "

I don't see the point of a Camera being on a 10" pad. The price is not only already high(and that's the NON-3G one), putting a camera on it will only jack up the price further more :thumbsdown:
The camera will most likely front facing and used for video iChat... Camera hardware would actually add very little to the cost, the hardware is very inexpensive and the software already supports it.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:09 AM
Contributors

The camera will most likely front facing and used for video iChat... Camera hardware would actually add very little to the cost, the hardware is very inexpensive and the software already supports it.
if its facing front..mmm...that makes more sense(where will the mic be located?). And let's just hope you are right regarding that price Because I am waiting for the next generation and all the extra features to be added to MAYBE buy it.

At this point, it is not something I need, it is something I want. Its a toy
Old 04-04-2010, 07:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Need camera for Skype - have family overseas, Skype is kind of an essential these days.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

SW, I agree with you in theory, but in practice, Flash capability is still a requisite for an inet device. And until the HTML5 completely takes over it, it is just retarded that Apple doesn't allow it.

As for the purpose of this device, the way I'd use it is actually to replace the home phone. Yes, the home phone. Its - to me - a sort of a home phone "PLUS" - just like the iPhone is the mobile phone "PLUS". Well, really it would replace a home phone (which I haven't had and ONLY when the camera version is out for Skype and iChat, etc), and my home laptop (which is really used only as a netbook).
Old 04-04-2010, 07:51 AM
Contributors

I do use skype a lot as my family is oversees as well. Whenever I want to talk to my family on-the-go, i just use skype on my phone. But when I want to skype with my family, I never use my laptop when you a big LCD at home. Just connect ur laptop through HDMI on ur LCD and tara PERFECT Plus with the Sony Vaio Autofocus and auto-zoom built in cam, you feel right at home..

Wait are we still talking about that that....what was it called?
Old 04-04-2010, 06:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

It's a no-contract plan, you can stop and start at will. The 250MB plan is $15, the unlimited plan is $30. It's not tied to your existing phone plan or bill, it's a no-contract pre-pay (and a pretty smoking deal for the unlimited 3G).
I know its not tied to your existing plan but do you think it would be a good idea to tie it with the plan? Make it cheaper on a whole combo plan u know.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:15 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nigxdoof
I know its not tied to your existing plan but do you think it would be a good idea to tie it with the plan? Make it cheaper on a whole combo plan u know.
Yep, AT&T don't offer any addtional discount for tying to an existing plan but maybe they should (particularly for existing iPhone data plan subscribers).

Quick Reply: I caved