Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Hurricane Wilma

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 04:44 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

We are getting a lot of tornadoes in Brevard. Other than that only 40-50 winds. Just saw Biscayne Bay buoy report 127mph
Old 10-24-2005, 07:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i -6speed - Comfort Seats - Premium Package - Premium Sound Package - Cold Weather Package - Ventilated Seats - Xenon -HUD - PDC - Nav

Well .... we are out of it, winds are still around 45-80mph, but only little rain now.
We lost storm shutters on 2 windows - they just tore off & ripped the metal - bolts are still in the wall.
We also lst a few roof tiles and most of the landscaping, as well as a bit of the pool screen - we once again lucked out. I wish you, Your family & everybody else over there the best of luck and hope you all get as lucky as we did.

Temperatures are down to mid 60's now - very nice. We even have power at the house we are staying at. at our main house we don't though.

It is quite amazing to see the hurricane is 1/2 out on the atlantic already - glad it is such a fast moving storm.

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>GOOD LUCK & BEST TO YOU, YOUR FAMILY & EVERYBODY ELSE OVER THERE</span>

--marco
Old 10-24-2005, 07:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i -6speed - Comfort Seats - Premium Package - Premium Sound Package - Cold Weather Package - Ventilated Seats - Xenon -HUD - PDC - Nav

pictures:

http://marcoprechel.com/?q=gallery&g2_view...&g2_itemId=4983

Naples Downtown - 5th Avenue has about 3ft. of Salt water on the roads, naples is said to be devastated & Temporarily under water from the storm surge - lots of damage is reported.

will post more pictures at the above URL later today/tomorrow & throughout the week.

again, good luck & be safe.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:29 PM
Senior Members

cobradav & wassy,

Please post updates!

I Hope both you, Your families, friends Relatives & neighbors faired as well as we did!

We just got power back at the office about 4 hours ago & been busy restoring the office to be open tomorrow. Everything but one dataserver came back up fine - that one will be a PITA.

Personally we still don't have power at our main residence ... but where we stay at our guest house we do. All in all we faired exceptionally well - better than most again I must say.

and AGAIN - FEMA failed! Our local power crews have restored about 48% of customers service within 48 hours of the storm. however FEMA has barely any sites open.
I give the Local Government & emergency officials & responders big props. All my applause goes to them - but fema once again failed to provide a timely response. how about Gov. Jeb Bush being in Naples Florida yesterday? within 24 hours our Govenor shows up, even before Fema has a single Distribution Center open?! WTF ..... again - PROPS to all the local first responders, to FPL, LCEC & the local emergency officials ... but NOT to fema so far.

Cobradev & wassy - I hope you guys faired well - if not, Best to you & all over there!
Old 10-27-2005, 07:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Ultimately not bad for us. Two large tree limbs (10" dia) fell directly across driveway for the most phyiscal aspect. After three hurricanes thined out my trees last year was not a lot of little debris by any measure. Just brief seconds of power loss. But water, water everywhere. 10" rain in 8 hours here at house. 13.6" rain at Shuttle Landing Strip 10 miles from my house. My sons business near teh Merritt Island airport suffered some roof/skylight damage, but amazingly no water intrusion damage. Most of his customers were able to come and get their boats prior to Wilmas arrival and the four boats still there rode it out OK. Other son in Melbourne had no problems at all. Local roads partially washed out. Never seen water in places I see now. Thankfully, very dry air and cool for those without power, and water draining and evaporating pretty rapidly (for a person that was not flooded). Most Brevard county damage was caused by at least three recorded tornadoes. Palm Bay at south end and Cocoa in center of county had some pretty significant flooding by their standards. Several hundred homes flooded and families forced out. But all in all not in the devastation category for the majority of Brevard residents.

Hope your recovery goes well and yes FEMA fails again - just cannot get the hang of RAPID RESPONSE. Heck - if they would just stage where FPL and other power companies do they would have a leg up on where they should be. I see them pre stage in hotel/motel parking lots, shopping centers, etc where they think their weak links are and fan out as soon as the winds - circumstances allow them. Need a good lesson from FPL and folks like FEDEX, UPS on distribution scenarios.