Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Hurricane Wilma

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 12:24 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i -6speed - Comfort Seats - Premium Package - Premium Sound Package - Cold Weather Package - Ventilated Seats - Xenon -HUD - PDC - Nav

So this is Edition #4 of "wiszmasters Guide to Hurricane.... <something>"

Again, as always - GOOD LUCK & BE SAFE - EVERYBODY.

AS NEW ORLEANS HAS SHOWN US - IF YOU ARE IN LOW AREAS, AND THEY ASK YOU TO EVACUATE - PLEASE DO SO.

as of right now, it is pointed right at us, Lee County Florida - Fort Myers, Lehigh, Naples, Port Charlotte .... just as charley did last year.

Following is the anticipated forecast track:

Following is the water temperature chart:

conditions look favorable - if there is such a thing i guess.

--marco
Old 10-20-2005, 12:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Take care over there. I would not mind at all if central Florida would take some of the starch out of this WILMA before it gets here but I hope it is not all on your heads.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Hurricane Wilma-post_979_1110595219.jpg

Hurricane Wilma-post_979_1110595239.jpg
Old 10-21-2005, 06:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i -6speed - Comfort Seats - Premium Package - Premium Sound Package - Cold Weather Package - Ventilated Seats - Xenon -HUD - PDC - Nav

lol. now those are some old pictures!
Old 10-21-2005, 07:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Good luck wiszmaster, looks like the forecast still has Wilma heading your general direction, though maybe a little further south.

On the lighter side, if you need a place to stay when you evacuate, I have a nice FEMA trailer you can use...
Old 10-21-2005, 08:37 AM
Senior Members

Thank You! Best to you - I hope everything works out for you, Your Family, and Relatives/Friends. Our area got hit hard by Charlie last year, but we lucked out.

I wish we could evacuate - but you know how it is .. when you own your own business, or your family does - its the business first then yourself.

We have another house we purchased early on this year, its a few miles further inland(still flood zone), was built in 2004 & has hurricane shutters. We expect this one to hold up better than out 16 year old house w/out storm shutters.
Unf. i never got the whole house generator approved by the home owners association - otherwise the house would have power if it does come here.

Its been 2 days of cleaning up construction sites, securing materials, making sure nothing happens out there - and from here on its all office stuff. Securing documents, wrapping up electronics (work stations, servers, routers, color & wide format printers) & moving them to higher elevation - the office is 300 yards away from the Caloosahatche River & storm surge is always high here. Last year there was 4 ft. of water in the streets - luckily for no more than 24 horus though. windows are boarded up, sandbags are being organized ... we are almost professionals at this now - its the 6th time we're doing this in 15 months or so.

I believe about 50% of Collier County(Naples, FL) is under MANDETORY evacuation order as of early this morning, and i believe this area will be later today or tomorrow.

Most - about 85% of gas stations are either completely out of fuel, or only have a few pumps open to make the little fuel they have last. The gas stations that are open have lines that take approximately 45minutes to 1.5 hours to get gas. lots of gas stations have state troopers & sheriffs department directing & serving gas.

This is the price we pay to live what they call "paradise" - but its OK. Most here prefer a few days warning for hurricane over mudslides, wild fires, earth quackes.

Again - <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Good Luck to everybody! Stay safe, evacuate if you are in low/flood zones.</span>

LINKS:
--------
NBC-2 TV: http://www.nbc-2.com
Fort Myers NewsPress: http://www.news-press.com
Naples | Bonita News w/ articles & pictures: http://www.bonitanews.com/
Old 10-23-2005, 06:33 AM
Senior Members

well .. we are still here ... still waiting. I believe the waiting is the worst part .. .we have NEVER had a storm like this one - that kept everybody alert & waiting for 3 days.

but that is probably what this storm is going to be remembered by, even if it makes landfall here & devastates this area. I have NEVER in 9 years of living here seen as many residents well prepared as for this storm. Most Residents are becoming pro's at this.

Home Depot has plenty of Plywood left, stores in evacuated areas have moved their inventory to stores that have been cleaned out, we actually have gas at most gas stations, the lines are moderate, and most of all - probably about 85% of businesses & residents have boarded up their homes.

People are also leaving - Collier County (naples) East & South of US-41 are under Mandatory Evacuation Notice, as well as Cape Coral residents with water access, ALL BARRIER ISLANDS (Marco Island, Sanibel, Captiva, Bokeelia, Fort Myers Beach, Estero Island)
Attached Thumbnails Hurricane Wilma-img_1915.jpg   Hurricane Wilma-img_1917.jpg   Hurricane Wilma-img_1918.jpg  
Old 10-23-2005, 11:09 AM
Contributors

Wize - I'm over in Broward and we are preparing just as you. what's amazing is that we are about an hour (Weston) east of Naples, and one would think it would dissapate before it hits, but Max Mayfield says no way.. they say it won't lose much strength over the everglades! So...

Best of luck to both of us, and anyone else in the onetime Flinstone's path.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:25 PM
Senior Members

Wassy,

Good Luck to you too! I'm sure yo know by now that they are saying this thing may miss us & go south of us straight towards you - NO GOOD NEWS for you. either way - i'm sure it will still wobble around a bit - GOOD LUCK!

about 50% of people evacuated in Naples, 90-95% in marco island ... however only an estimated 5% in your guys area....... Be Safe.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:39 AM
Senior Members

well .. this is what we have been waiting for .. for about a week now. The Hurricane made landfall a few hours ago, and is really tearing things up now.

if anybody cares to see video footage - i believe http://www.nbc-2.com has some on there ...

in the past 15 minutes it has gotten increasingly worse ... either lots of trees are getting torn up, or possibly hosues in the neighborhood, because things are getting banged against the hurricane shutters at a rate of about 2-3 a minute now ... power keeps flickering on/off ... the longest outage so far has been about 15 minutes ....

Souce: CNN.com

Quick Reply: Hurricane Wilma