Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Hurricane Katrina

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 07:02 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i -6speed - Comfort Seats - Premium Package - Premium Sound Package - Cold Weather Package - Ventilated Seats - Xenon -HUD - PDC - Nav

well - its a CAT 5 hurricane now. They are now saying that it may turn out to be one of the fastest CAT5 storm in history to make landfall around - because it still has plenty of warm water travel to go.
Scarry.

Old 08-28-2005, 07:14 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

Hummmmmmmm :'(

I woke up and have been watching the weather channel for nearly 2 hours. This sucker went from 115 mph last night to 160 mph this morning and then to 175 mph as I was watching. It's going to level everything near the ocean. Not only that, it's going to destory all the gas and oil rigs too. Not only the loss of life and buildings/houses but if you thought gas was expensive now you ain't seen nothing yet if this thing keeps strengthing and headed on the path its on.

Good luck all you folks. Pack up the bimmer and get the hell ouf of there!

:'(
Old 08-28-2005, 08:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i -6speed - Comfort Seats - Premium Package - Premium Sound Package - Cold Weather Package - Ventilated Seats - Xenon -HUD - PDC - Nav

if it makes landfall now, it will be the second biggest/fastest hurricane recorded in history .. if i remember correctly .. Andrew made landfall with approximately 165MPH winds .. and we all know what damages andrew brought - damages that are still appaerent & visible in parts of South Florida today - HOWEVER after andrew general building codes were changes in florida ... and they have help up & saved thousands of lifes since.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:38 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by kscarrol' date='Aug 27 2005, 03:11 PM
Adios folks!? Cars are packed and it is time to get out of here.? Trying to get a jump on what will be real chaos tomorrow.? Oh the joys of living in a bowl that is below sea level!? Hope to have a house and computer to come back to.
[snapback]164085[/snapback]
Been thinking about you all along, ksc. There are not many places Katrina could hit and do as much damage as in NO.
Old 08-28-2005, 12:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Thakns for the thought and prayers guys. I guess we're going to need them. Still hoping it will jog a little east, but not looking good. My house is raised, but 20 feet.

We made it to Houston, so now I can watch all the destruction on TV. Guess I'm about to find out how good my USAA insurance is!
Old 08-28-2005, 01:02 PM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by kscarrol' date='Aug 28 2005, 03:37 PM
Thakns for the thought and prayers guys.? I guess we're going to need them.? Still hoping it will jog a little east, but not looking good.? My house is raised, but 20 feet.

We made it to Houston, so now I can watch all the destruction on TV.? Guess I'm about to find out how good my USAA insurance is!
[snapback]164424[/snapback]
Glad you and the family are out of there. Was just watching Fox News and looks like a lot of people really haven't been listening. This could be a huge tragedy.
Old 08-28-2005, 02:20 PM
Contributors

Absolutely right JDN! We've dodged the bullet so many times, most have become complacent. It was scary and sad to see the steady stream of ambulances, utility trucks and national guard trucks heading towards New Orleans as we were driving from Baton Rouge to Houston. Unless Katrina jogs 50+ miles to the east or west, there are going to a lot folks killed in New Orleans tomorrow I'm afraid...

You always here about the big that LA or San Francisco are waiting for, well, this is our big one. If the storm surge hits like it seems, we'l have 25 feet of water in the city and it will literally be months before they can pump it dry.
Old 08-28-2005, 03:08 PM
Members

I just hope all the forecasters are wrong and the devestation they're predicting never materializes. If it does materialize, lot of people will loose everything they've wroked hard to achive.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 520dA coming up.

Good luck to everyone involved there.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:50 PM
Contributors

From a friend in Baton Rouge, local TV stations are still showing the interstates at a standstill with cars trying to flee. Unfortunately, looks like a lot of folks are going to be caught out in the open as the winds pick over the course of the night. Supposed to be 75+ MPH by midnight...

Quick Reply: Hurricane Katrina