Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

How to raise pit bulls!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 09:58 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pit bull kills baby in Kalamazoo family's home

* 11:24 PM, Feb. 20, 2011
Kalamazoo police say a pet pit bull has killed a family's 10-day-old baby.

Some will say that owners did not raise the dog in the proper way. Anyone volunteer to explain that to the parents of this deceased 10-day-old baby??

I am a dog lover, and I thing pits are beautiful. Pit owners must be prepared to handle a situation like the above.

My 2 cents.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Dinan 545i

As a dog owner and doing research into training and housebreaking my dog, I learned that some dogs are inherently 'better' with children - Pit Bulls are beautiful dogs, but in the references I found, they were noted as one of the breeds that are less than desirable to be around children. Of course there were others (like German Shepherds)...

When it comes to kids/babies - whey take the chance? As this couple found out, it's just not worth it.

It's always recommended to research the breed to know what you're getting into; it's just good practice.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Tell the chinese joke again!!
Old 02-22-2011, 06:15 AM
Contributors

I have a Pit Bull, there are a lot of misleading views regarding all bull breeds.
It all depends on how they are brought up, my Pit is good around almost all people and children, but would I leave him alone with a child? Or an adult who didn't know him? No chance.

At the end of the day if someone pisses you off or hits you can tell them to politely stop, then you can shout at them, you can push them away and as a last resort you can hit them.

A dog can't do any of the above. Maybe the child pulled his tail or his ears, unfortunately we will never know the full story.

Here are a few pics of my boy.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

I doubt a 10 day old pulled his ears..lol.. Im a pit owner and animal lover, but even I, not cause its a pitbull, but any breed for that matter would never leave my newborn infant that I just brought home, alone in a room with the dog that Ive owned before the baby came around.

Some dog owners just dont do the research. There are no words to comfort that family.. responsible pet ownership is key, and acclamating your pet to a baby in the house is more important then people realize. If the animal never has been around a baby or child, and then the owner brings home this baby, which to the dog probably seems like a small toy, the dog is going to show his/her dominence over it, in this case killing the poor baby. This is no ones fault, not the parents, nor the animals! If they didnt know, then they just didnt know. The animal cant be blamed either, plain and simple its a dog.

Its sad, my heart goes out to the family..
I researched over and over on how to introduce any animal to my family when my children were young. And I watched and trained my dog extensively. I brought my pit into my home after my kids were here first. Its key. He was 8 weeks old, and hes not alpha, hes at the bottom, and he knows it. My dog doesnt "hang" from ropes in the trees, he isnt allowed to play "aggressively" at all ( i dont want him to know he has certain abilities in him). Im veering off topic here, but this is still very tragic, and im sorry for the family. I hope they get rid of the dog, I would.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Dinan 545i

Originally Posted by melimel
I doubt a 10 day old pulled his ears..lol.. Im a pit owner and animal lover, but even I, not cause its a pitbull, but any breed for that matter would never leave my newborn infant that I just brought home, alone in a room with the dog that Ive owned before the baby came around.

Some dog owners just dont do the research. There are no words to comfort that family.. responsible pet ownership is key, and acclamating your pet to a baby in the house is more important then people realize. If the animal never has been around a baby or child, and then the owner brings home this baby, which to the dog probably seems like a small toy, the dog is going to show his/her dominence over it, in this case killing the poor baby. This is no ones fault, not the parents, nor the animals! If they didnt know, then they just didnt know. The animal cant be blamed either, plain and simple its a dog.

Its sad, my heart goes out to the family..
I researched over and over on how to introduce any animal to my family when my children were young. And I watched and trained my dog extensively. I brought my pit into my home after my kids were here first. Its key. He was 8 weeks old, and hes not alpha, hes at the bottom, and he knows it. My dog doesnt "hang" from ropes in the trees, he isnt allowed to play "aggressively" at all ( i dont want him to know he has certain abilities in him). Im veering off topic here, but this is still very tragic, and im sorry for the family. I hope they get rid of the dog, I would.
Well said, Mel. This is a very sad story no matter how you look at it. At the risk of going off-topic myself; even leading up to my 2nd born, my wife and I did some reading as to how to best get my first born acclimated to having a younger sibling. I guess my point is, never take chances with safety especially when pets and children (babies) are concerned.

...just a sad, tragic story...
Old 02-23-2011, 01:59 AM
Contributors

@Melimel didn't realise the baby was 10 days old.

It's a sad incident for sure, I wouldn't leave any baby or child with any dog, not even my girlfriend's miniature Yorkshire Terrier that weighs about 1kg when wet!