Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!
View Poll Results: I'm keepin the money - I deserve it more than you!
You ain't gettin none of my money!
84.62%
No, I'm a team player and will gladly give it back!
15.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

How many of you are giving back the Bonus Money

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 11:35 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The IRS will be monitoring the forum; your IP address is captured when you complete the survey. However, in the interest of security no names will be published
Old 03-21-2009, 02:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Hell No! Already spent it on GOLD!

Please refer to U.S. Constitution Article I Section 9 ... No Bill of Attainder or ex post facto law shall be passed. And Amendment V "... nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property ..."

There was a time, in our history, where a group of citizens would gather to hang another citizen from a tree limb. They called that a lynch mob. This would define the behavior as we saw, this week, of the high esteemed U.S. House of Representatives.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Ordinarily, I am wholly opposed to oppressive taxation and "wealth envy" knee jerks like this.

However:

The rules only apply to companies who took more than $5bn in Federal bail outs and then only to employees at those companies who earn over $250K (not a lot, but enough to take the vast majority of employees at bailed out firms out of the scope of the bill).

Companies like AIG have shown they deserve to be treated like children. Between planned corporate jollies to Vegas (after taking billions in federal bail outs) and 7 figure retention bonuses paid to people who left right after picking them up, they have shown they simply can't be trusted with taxpayer dollars. And when you take the man's money, you do what the man says. And in this case he wants to limit comp at poorly run companies who are to all intents and purposes largely federally owned.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Originally Posted by sixcard' post='822855' date='Mar 21 2009, 05:38 AM
Hell No! Already spent it on GOLD!

Please refer to U.S. Constitution Article I Section 9 ... No Bill of Attainder or ex post facto law shall be passed. And Amendment V "... nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property ..."

There was a time, in our history, where a group of citizens would gather to hang another citizen from a tree limb. They called that a lynch mob. This would define the behavior as we saw, this week, of the high esteemed U.S. House of Representatives.
+ 9.6 Trillion!! (which is coincidentally the CBO's 10 year forecast for America's deficit. Thanks Obama! :thumbsdown: )
Old 03-21-2009, 07:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Originally Posted by swajames' post='822935' date='Mar 21 2009, 10:04 AM
Ordinarily, I am wholly opposed to oppressive taxation and "wealth envy" knee jerks like this.

However:

The rules only apply to companies who took more than $5bn in Federal bail outs and then only to employees at those companies who earn over $250K (not a lot, but enough to take the vast majority of employees at bailed out firms out of the scope of the bill).

Companies like AIG have shown they deserve to be treated like children. Between planned corporate jollies to Vegas (after taking billions in federal bail outs) and 7 figure retention bonuses paid to people who left right after picking them up, they have shown they simply can't be trusted with taxpayer dollars. And when you take the man's money, you do what the man says. And in this case he wants to limit comp at poorly run companies who are to all intents and purposes largely federally owned.
There should be no exceptions to your opposition of this behavior. If they can do this to these execs, you and I are next my friend.

I believe these taxes will be found unconstitutional as well they should be.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='822944' date='Mar 21 2009, 08:31 AM
There should be no exceptions to your opposition of this behavior. If they can do this to these execs, you and I are next my friend.

I believe these taxes will be found unconstitutional as well they should be.
I don't really disagree, John. That said, I don't believe this will ever go beyond companies taking federal dollars. AIG in fact paid more in these bonuses than was reported ($218M, whereas the number reported last week was $165M). It paid those out of the staggering $160bn in federal bailouts it has received. Just as many Republicans voted for the bill as opposed it (87-85) so it's hardly a partisan issue. Do we think those executives earned their money? I am partner in my firm, and other than a nominal sum for expenses my income is solely linked to performance. If I don't perform, I don't get paid. These guys got paid, and didn't perform.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

There should be no argument where (if) these bonuses were contractual. This prohibition is very clear in the Constitution. The Constitution does not except ?childish? behavior from this prohibition.

I agree whole hardedly that performance bonuses are outrageous and should be challenged if not contractual. It would be my guess that these contractual bonuses were not performance related but rather retention related.

The buck stops at the stockholder ? which brings about another peril. We, the taxpayers, now own (it is reported) 80% of AIG. That says that the next round of directors will be chosen by whom? Of course, it is the taxpayers who will be represented by the federal government.

Do we want the Obama, Barney Frank, Chris Dodd and/or congress to select the next board of directors? Hell no!

I cannot think of anything they do well. Except piss away my children?s money.

I say let AIG go down the tube. It will be a good lesson in the free market and a fair warning to future corporate directors and execs.

Damn! This whole thread is depressing me!
Old 03-21-2009, 11:33 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sixcard' post='823060' date='Mar 21 2009, 11:55 AM
There should be no argument where (if) these bonuses were contractual. This prohibition is very clear in the Constitution. The Constitution does not except ?childish? behavior from this prohibition.

I agree whole hardedly that performance bonuses are outrageous and should be challenged if not contractual. It would be my guess that these contractual bonuses were not performance related but rather retention related.
It is my understanding that many of these particular bonuses were indeed retention bonuses, and that many of the recipients left after collecting them.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:57 PM
ObD
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i 6MT

The bonuses were approved as part of the Stimulus Package that most Congresspersons didn't even bother to read. THROW the BUMS OUT by VOTING them OUT in 2010 and every 2 years after that.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:48 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ObD' post='827667' date='Mar 26 2009, 08:57 PM
The bonuses were approved as part of the Stimulus Package that most Congresspersons didn't even bother to read. THROW the BUMS OUT by VOTING them OUT in 2010 and every 2 years after that.
My sentiments exactly!!!!

Quick Reply: How many of you are giving back the Bonus Money