Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Hong Kong BT?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 05:36 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 Audi A8 4.2TDI Previous rides: 2005 E61 530d, 20" Breyton reps, Eibach springs, M5 bumper/mirrors/MFSW 2000 Audi S6 Avant, 18" OZ, RS6 exhaust etc 1998 Audi A8 4,2Q, 19" RS4 wheels, Remus exhaust KW coilovers etc 1986 Audi 100CC, funky fresh steel rims w plastic covers, rubber lip on boot..... 1987 BMW 320i, 15" alloys + rubber lip on boot :) 1982 Opel Ascona 1,6DL, tinted windows and a big-ass subwoofer :P
Thumbs up

So I'm off to Asia next week for a business trip. First stop for work will be Shenzhen but will arrive in Hong Kong so I figured I should stay there for the weekend before moving on to Shenzhen, Shanghai and other places. As it is my first visit to HK I was hoping that some forum member could give me some advise on what to do and see, good places to eat and shop, best value hotels etc.

I'm not a fan of the really touristy stuff with group sightseeing trips etc so I would like to stay away from such activities and settle for things I can do on my own. Btw I spent a lot of time in Asia these last years and I really like it there so the difference in food and culture, language barriers etc etc etc is no biggie.

So if you have anything to recommend, pls dump it in the thread or PM, thanks in advance!

Cheers
Matt
Old 10-04-2008, 05:42 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 Audi A8 4.2TDI Previous rides: 2005 E61 530d, 20" Breyton reps, Eibach springs, M5 bumper/mirrors/MFSW 2000 Audi S6 Avant, 18" OZ, RS6 exhaust etc 1998 Audi A8 4,2Q, 19" RS4 wheels, Remus exhaust KW coilovers etc 1986 Audi 100CC, funky fresh steel rims w plastic covers, rubber lip on boot..... 1987 BMW 320i, 15" alloys + rubber lip on boot :) 1982 Opel Ascona 1,6DL, tinted windows and a big-ass subwoofer :P

LOL...just saw kneemah's thread a little further down here so I guess I'll just keep monitoring that one
Old 10-04-2008, 06:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 530d XDrive M Sport

Originally Posted by Hilden' post='685095' date='Oct 4 2008, 10:42 PM
LOL...just saw kneemah's thread a little further down here so I guess I'll just keep monitoring that one
Hotels in HK are expensive. The most expensive in Asia. If your preference is for 5 star hotels, be prepared to pay $$$$.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:37 AM
Members

OK, job's paying for hotel so I'm not too concerned about that issue. I guess we have some corporate deals also but I was thinking if there were some nice/cool places outside the usual large hotel chains with good value for money to stay at.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 530i , Silver with leather Air Con iDrive 17" Breyton Rims with Dunlop Sp Sport tyres (M-Tech Bodykit and rims WANTED) Alfa Romeo 147 TS1.6 , Black with Air Con 17" Multi Spoke alloys with Bridgestone RE040 tyres Toyota MR-S 1.8 VVTI , Lagoon Blue with Red leather Air Con 15" standard alloys with Toyo tyres Toyota Celica 1.8 VVTI, Lagoon Blue, Air Con, 16" Standard alloys with Kuhmo KU31, EBC Green Stuff

Originally Posted by Hilden' post='685094' date='Oct 4 2008, 01:36 PM
So I'm off to Asia next week for a business trip. First stop for work will be Shenzhen but will arrive in Hong Kong so I figured I should stay there for the weekend before moving on to Shenzhen, Shanghai and other places. As it is my first visit to HK I was hoping that some forum member could give me some advise on what to do and see, good places to eat and shop, best value hotels etc.

I'm not a fan of the really touristy stuff with group sightseeing trips etc so I would like to stay away from such activities and settle for things I can do on my own. Btw I spent a lot of time in Asia these last years and I really like it there so the difference in food and culture, language barriers etc etc etc is no biggie.

So if you have anything to recommend, pls dump it in the thread or PM, thanks in advance!

Cheers
Matt
Hi Matt,

If you wanna stay away from the crowd, have a beer and enjoy the sea view, "Stanley" will be a good choice, it located in the southen part of HK island.

http://www.hk-stanley-market.com/

Shopping perhaps is the main reason why people coming to HK, these three shopping malls are in enormous size and can spend you half of day

http://www.ifc.com.hk/english/mall.aspx
http://www.harbourcity.com.hk/
http://www.elementshk.com/eng/index_popup.php

If this is your first time to HK, i am strongly recommend you go to "The Peak" to have the best view of HK! More info in here

http://www.thepeak.com.hk/full/en/index.php

For the hotel, if $$ is not what you concern, W Hotel maybe is a good choice for you, a very moden hotel

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/whotels/inde...ocaleoverwrite=

Hope this help

Cheers
Keith
Old 10-05-2008, 03:28 AM
Members

Hi Keith, thanks for the reply!

combination of beer & nice view is definintely something I would appreciate. Seems though from the webpage that the Stanley place is popular with expats etc so I just wanna make sure it's not one of those places similar to for example Sanlitun in Beijing and Xintiandi in Shanghai where you pretty much only find drunk westeners and tons of hookers once you're past dinner time.

That hotel looks awesome though so I'll check it out. I think we have a corporate deal with Starwood so that's even better.

Will for sure check out the peak as well.

For shopping, are there any good streets with smaller stores? Malls are good of course but those places are usually above my price range and even if I'd like to shop at Gucci, Prada etc I could do it in London, NY or any other major city and still find the same stuff. What I especially like about large cities is that it's possible to get cool stuff that's not available elsewhere. Would also be good to know about places to get electronics as I believe that pricing vs Sweden would be considerably better in HK.

Cheers
Old 10-05-2008, 06:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 530i , Silver with leather Air Con iDrive 17" Breyton Rims with Dunlop Sp Sport tyres (M-Tech Bodykit and rims WANTED) Alfa Romeo 147 TS1.6 , Black with Air Con 17" Multi Spoke alloys with Bridgestone RE040 tyres Toyota MR-S 1.8 VVTI , Lagoon Blue with Red leather Air Con 15" standard alloys with Toyo tyres Toyota Celica 1.8 VVTI, Lagoon Blue, Air Con, 16" Standard alloys with Kuhmo KU31, EBC Green Stuff

Originally Posted by Hilden' post='685626' date='Oct 5 2008, 12:28 PM
Hi Keith, thanks for the reply!

combination of beer & nice view is definintely something I would appreciate. Seems though from the webpage that the Stanley place is popular with expats etc so I just wanna make sure it's not one of those places similar to for example Sanlitun in Beijing and Xintiandi in Shanghai where you pretty much only find drunk westeners and tons of hookers once you're past dinner time.

That hotel looks awesome though so I'll check it out. I think we have a corporate deal with Starwood so that's even better.

Will for sure check out the peak as well.

For shopping, are there any good streets with smaller stores? Malls are good of course but those places are usually above my price range and even if I'd like to shop at Gucci, Prada etc I could do it in London, NY or any other major city and still find the same stuff. What I especially like about large cities is that it's possible to get cool stuff that's not available elsewhere. Would also be good to know about places to get electronics as I believe that pricing vs Sweden would be considerably better in HK.

Cheers
Hi Matt,

You wont find drunk westeners or hookers in stanley, it is a place for relex and for family, although you will find few pubs in there.

For the electronic stuffs, you can buy from "Broadway" or "fortress", they are the trusted electronic stores in HK

http://www.ibroadway.com.hk/
http://www.fortress.com.hk/fortress/.../Sf_render.jsp

Both stores can be find in the ocean city mall which i mentioned in the previous post.
Inside the shipping mall, apart from those luxury brands, you also can find different kinds of things (Furnitures, gadget stuffs....etc) in a place called LCX.

Just PM me if you'd like to know more and i am sure you will be impressed in this city

Cheers