Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Help me out!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 05:48 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='430825' date='Jun 1 2007, 01:42 PM
You are right about London, just three hours on the Chunnel to central London. A trip we took several years ago was to Normandy, as I recall it was 2-3 hours from Paris by car and a couple of days is plenty to explore. Seeing all the places associated with the Allied invasion on D-Day in person, particularly the American cemetary at Colleville-sur-Mer overlooking Omaha Beach, was a humbling experience to say the least. A trip I will never forget!
Go out to Mont St. Michel, a little island outcropping of rock perched on the mud flats in the Atlantic, all of which flood at high tide, connected only by a causeway. (Pay careful attention to the times posted in the parking lots: they really will seriously flood at the appointed hour, leaving lots of amused gawkers when somebody leaves a car there to get flooded by seawater.) You can spend a night in the little village on the island (used to be a monastery, but France isn't so much about church any more). Then drive to Normandy etc. The tapestry at Bayeux is a cool historical relic from right after the Battle of Hastings. Places like Honfleur are pretty to stay overnight, too. Do this rather than London. You can do that another time. Easier to get to.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Interesting that the vast majority of comments here came from US-based members. When I read the OP, my thoughts went along the lines of Versailles, Saint-Germain-en-Laye, Vaux-le-Vicomte, Fontainebleau, perhaps Chartres, Troyes or Reims, or - if you are talking far away - Bruxelles and Bruges. And here are people suggesting trips to Normandy or Strasbourg. Clearly the notion of "near" is far from common.

On the theme of London - perhaps it's because when I'm travelling for business I rarely have more than half a day (or a short weekend), but I find the idea of getting on a train to London fairly unappealing, since I'd be "wasting" half a day in the process to reach somewhere that is well connected to the US (travel using what you like, it's more than 4 hours travelling time from any hotel in Paris to one in London, once you factor in taxi rides, check-in/security clearance times and waiting).
Old 06-05-2007, 11:57 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tab545' post='432018
Interesting that the vast majority of comments here came from US-based members. When I read the OP, my thoughts went along the lines of Versailles, Saint-Germain-en-Laye, Vaux-le-Vicomte, Fontainebleau, perhaps Chartres, Troyes or Reims, or - if you are talking far away - Bruxelles and Bruges. And here are people suggesting trips to Normandy or Strasbourg. Clearly the notion of "near" is far from common.

On the theme of London - perhaps it's because when I'm travelling for business I rarely have more than half a day (or a short weekend), but I find the idea of getting on a train to London fairly unappealing, since I'd be "wasting" half a day in the process to reach somewhere that is well connected to the US (travel using what you like, it's more than 4 hours travelling time from any hotel in Paris to one in London, once you factor in taxi rides, check-in/security clearance times and waiting).
I'll have more than half a day to tack on to my Paris trip. I don't mind the travel times from Paris as long as the destination is worth it. Thanks for the add'l suggestions.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

A totally differrent track (!) is to take the TGV (Train ? Grande Vitesse, the high speed train that does 350 kph) to France second city Lyon. Lyon is known as the food capital in France, and if you go to some nice restaurants in Lyon you'll never want to eat in Paris again.

Also, the speak a slower version of French in the south east so if you have some knowledge of French you'll stand much better chance of understanding what they say!

More about Lyon: http://www.lyon.fr/vdl/sections/en/
Old 06-06-2007, 02:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Go to the south of france and spend a few days on the beach. Bypass Paris altogether. I'd hit Juan Le Pins.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with Sport Pkg, Nav, HUD, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Shades

Originally Posted by narvselius' post='432506' date='Jun 6 2007, 04:35 AM
A totally differrent track (!) is to take the TGV (Train ? Grande Vitesse, the high speed train that does 350 kph) to France second city Lyon. Lyon is known as the food capital in France, and if you go to some nice restaurants in Lyon you'll never want to eat in Paris again.

Also, the speak a slower version of French in the south east so if you have some knowledge of French you'll stand much better chance of understanding what they say!

More about Lyon: http://www.lyon.fr/vdl/sections/en/

I second that!! Took the TGV from Paris to Lyon during our honeymoon. Fantastic food in Lyon.