Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Hail...or meteorite (pic)

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 07:13 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well,

My car survived the huge flood we had in Nashville a couple weeks ago (many thousands of cars did not, a co-worker's relatively new Range Rover Sport was washed away and is still missing).

We have been on water shortage/conservation since and people caught at the few open car washes end up with a news camera in their face. Most of the car wash joints just closed up until we are back to normal. As anyone who lives in the region will know, the pine pollen here can be really bad; leaving a green film on your car that will give even the most skilled California Car Duster technique a run for you money... so I haven't washed my car in far too long and my car had turned pretty much light green

Typically I park in the garage at work, however I knew we were to get some rain on monday so I parked in our outside lot to give the 5'er a natural bath. Not a practice I would normally adhere to, but desperate times and all..Huge mistake

So.. that rain we were to get turned into a pretty bad storm. It didn't last long, but long enough, very high straight line winds and hail...Myself and another girl (she has a brand new, little rubber thingies still on the tires, 335i) come out from our office to this:

Insurance has been better than expected about it. Was able to get OEM BMW replacement rear window without hassle or out-of-pocket expense instead of the "aftermarket option"... They also allowed the glass shop that BMW of Nashville recommended to do the work. Only hangup is that the new rear window won't be here until the end of the week.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:16 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

That sucks, glad you didn't suffer that much damage in the storms. Hopefully the insurance will get it fixed and perfect again shortly, I am sure they are pretty busy out there right about now.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Ouch! Seems strange to take that kind of hit to the glass but no other hail damage elsewhere on the care.

Did you have any interior damage from rain water getting in the car? Best of luck, glad to here your insurance company is being so cooperative.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:44 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Yikes. Glad no one was in the car. GL on the repairs.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:15 AM
Members

Originally Posted by kscarrol
Ouch! Seems strange to take that kind of hit to the glass but no other hail damage elsewhere on the care.

Did you have any interior damage from rain water getting in the car? Best of luck, glad to here your insurance company is being so cooperative.
That was the head-scratcher... I looked all over the car expecting to see carnage.. but nothing. I work at a University so their police dept was on hand to document everything and they were suspicious of the hail as well.. Doesn't seem like a break-in as there was nothing missing and the fact that it was the rear window.. and vandalism I doubt because of the area where I was parked.. pretty much right downtown at the confluence of two very high traffic roads.. not to mention all the pedestrian traffic. Someone would have witnessed that...although we do have some oddball crazies and homeless guys that talk to signs and whatnot in the area

One other odd thing is that my alarm was not activated?? Could it have been, but cut off after a certain period of time? I don't know..

I almost wonder if it was a from debris picked up by those high straight line winds..
Old 05-19-2010, 08:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by kscarrol

Exactly what I was thinking too!
It must have been the Trunk Monkey trying to escape during the storm!
Old 05-19-2010, 08:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

How weird? Nothing but the window. It's an expensive rinse. Well, look at the bright side, you car looks clean... kindof. Hope everything works out the best. GL
Old 05-19-2010, 09:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Navy 550I

Mother nature was pissed @ you..
Old 05-19-2010, 09:53 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

it would have to be some big hail to break the window, and usually big hail doesn't come with just one you would have seen other damage. If it were a meteor you probably should have found something in the car.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Late 2005 M5 in Silverstone Metallic II with Full Black Leather Interior. SMG, LOGIC7, Heated Front Seats, Rear Electric Sun Blind, Comms Package, Professional Nav, TV Function, Extended Voice Control, Adaptive Headlights

Jeez! Unlucky/Lucky depending on how you look at it! At least it's not bodywork damage, and only the glass! Obviously a fair bit of cleaning up to do inside the car though which will be fun. Sorry to see this, but mother nature is the force of all forces! Hope it gets sorted out asap.

Quick Reply: Hail...or meteorite (pic)