Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Had my identity partially stolen...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 08:23 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked my bank acct online this am and there was $4800 missing! ..(which was basically the balance Over the last two days, someone took 2, $1k w/drawals (my daily limit is $1k) and also made an $1800 purchase on the internet w/ my bank card!

I am working w/ the claims dept to get it resolved...they have been good so far, but man, what a bad feeling...

I say that my identity was partially stolen, b/c at this point, only my debit card was transacted on...I put a freeze on all of my credit cards for now...not sure what to do about them...I wonder if I should request new card numbers, or if they are secure enough?...is there such a thing?
Old 02-13-2008, 08:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i SMG , Oriental Blue, Congiac Leather Interior, Nav., Park Assist, Logic 7, Sports Pkg, Cross drilled slotted rotors, ceramic pads, SS Brake lines, free flow air filter and a supercharger (coming soon)etc.....all the good stuff

Originally Posted by BillMcC' post='530904' date='Feb 13 2008, 12:23 PM
I checked my bank acct online this am and there was $4800 missing! ..(which was basically the balance Over the last two days, someone took 2, $1k w/drawals (my daily limit is $1k) and also made an $1800 purchase on the internet w/ my bank card!

I am working w/ the claims dept to get it resolved...they have been good so far, but man, what a bad feeling...

I say that my identity was partially stolen, b/c at this point, only my debit card was transacted on...I put a freeze on all of my credit cards for now...not sure what to do about them...I wonder if I should request new card numbers, or if they are secure enough?...is there such a thing?
Wow Bill I feel bad, I know what it's like. It happened to me a few years back. Best thing, request new card fromt he credit card companies. Call them in a lost or stolen, and they should issue you new ones with new numbers.

Also, change checking /Savings accounts. Not the bank, you can stay where youare, just withdraw all available monies, close the account and open new ones. Do this for both checkign and savings. Some might tell you only change the account that was tampered with. I did both. Request new checks, and checking debit card as well.

I feel for you, it's a hassel, time that doesn't need to be spent this way.

Best of Luck to you
Old 02-13-2008, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by BillMcC' post='530904' date='Feb 13 2008, 12:23 PM

Okay, first of all, how do we know this is really you?

Kidding aside, I feel bad for you Bill. Identity theft is something that spooks me but luckily, I haven't become the victim of it yet. I'm seriously considering subscribing to the LifeLock service http://www.lifelock.com/ Does anyone have any experience with them? It seems like a decent deal and the offering looks pretty comprehensive...
Old 02-13-2008, 10:18 AM
Contributors

I feel like a commercial, 'Like, I didnt think this was going to happen to me '...

Funny you mentioned that, I checked out LL.com this am right after my discovery and for $10 bucks a month it seems worth it.

Good advice, I will switch around all my accts at the bank...the bank Mgr said it wasnt necessary, but why risk another hassle.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by BillMcC' post='530950' date='Feb 13 2008, 02:18 PM
I feel like a commercial, 'Like, I didnt think this was going to happen to me '...

Funny you mentioned that, I checked out LL.com this am right after my discovery and for $10 bucks a month it seems worth it.

Good advice, I will switch around all my accts at the bank...the bank Mgr said it wasnt necessary, but why risk another hassle.
Okay, but you still didn't prove this is actually the real BillMcC posting these messages...
Old 02-13-2008, 07:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, Alpine White, Beige Ltr, Sport Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Steptronic, Nav, Satellite Radio, Split Fold Rear Seats, V1

What have the police done in response? Are they able to trace any of the transactions? I recommend the perps get a wood shampoo with a cell light conditioner!
Old 02-14-2008, 07:58 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by MidnightRider' post='531232' date='Feb 13 2008, 11:13 PM
What have the police done in response? Are they able to trace any of the transactions? I recommend the perps get a wood shampoo with a cell light conditioner!
I guess you dont know if this is me, Rudy - Good point! ha!...but if it wasnt me, I would fake it a little harder and pose like I had an M5...not an '04 530, hehe.

I filed a police rpt last night and there was a guy there filing the same exact claim! We were chatting and we both use the same ATM...long story short, the police were not really concerned. They said its coincidence that you both use the same ATM and they couldnt monitor ATM's in the city. But, they did say that since we both filed reports, and have given the police reports to the bank, that the bank will conduct their own investigation. The bank informed me this am that they will pull tapes from the videos and have all the ATM's involved in this circumstance inspected.

You really cant get good customer service these days...The bank reimbursed me the funds last night and this am when I logged on, it was debited back out!! I had writted out 3 large checks(prior to all of this...) and they cleared last night...I dont know, maybe the bank saw those 3 checks draft and got scared?

So, I am back to square one! Thank god this isnt my only acct.