Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Got my Autosocks today

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 08:49 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got mine (new of course) from ebay for ?49.95 (about ?45) compared to ?64 from autosock.co.uk who are anyway out of stock.

The Autosock website says for 225/50R17 you need size 685, but on the package that arrived it says I need size 665. I tried emailing them at enquiries@autosock.co.uk but it bounces back each time.

The bag they're stored in as roughly the size of a regular size laptop and about 2" thick. Weight is a pound or two, so no reason to not keep them in the car all the time. I was going to test them but I can't be bothered.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:39 PM
Members

My Ride: 535d M Sport / Carbon Black Metallic / Aluminium cube / black leather sports seats / Prof. SatNav / Bluetooth.

Tried mine out in Scotland last week. Some of the snowfall and drifting was significant and I needed the socks three times to keep me going.

A little tough to get on the first time, my wife was ready to get the jack out to lift the bodywork, but I had thin enough arms to get between the rear wheels and bodywork (245/40 R18's). Became easier second and third times. Probably ran about 10 miles in all, mostly on snow/ice but 10% grit/tarmac until I was confident they were not needed.

I was very impressed, had stopped on a steep gradient on the Tomintoul road, put the Autososcks on and carried on up the hill without a hitch.

They now look a little scuffed but have many, many more miles in them. I will keep them in the boot as they are relatively small.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:55 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by stiker
Tried mine out in Scotland last week. Some of the snowfall and drifting was significant and I needed the socks three times to keep me going.

A little tough to get on the first time, my wife was ready to get the jack out to lift the bodywork, but I had thin enough arms to get between the rear wheels and bodywork (245/40 R18's). Became easier second and third times. Probably ran about 10 miles in all, mostly on snow/ice but 10% grit/tarmac until I was confident they were not needed.

I was very impressed, had stopped on a steep gradient on the Tomintoul road, put the Autososcks on and carried on up the hill without a hitch.

They now look a little scuffed but have many, many more miles in them. I will keep them in the boot as they are relatively small.
Good to hear you had a good experience. I still haven't tried mine. Not for lack of snow, it's been snowing like a mother for the last 7 weeks. I already had to shovel the driveway twice today and 5 times yesterday. I just don't go out on days like this, working from home rules
Old 02-11-2010, 12:47 PM
Members

My Ride: 535d M Sport / Carbon Black Metallic / Aluminium cube / black leather sports seats / Prof. SatNav / Bluetooth.

Originally Posted by DD_545i
Good to hear you had a good experience. I still haven't tried mine. Not for lack of snow, it's been snowing like a mother for the last 7 weeks. I already had to shovel the driveway twice today and 5 times yesterday. I just don't go out on days like this, working from home rules
DD, I wish we could have snow like we have had in the UK recently - thick, deep and the 'real deal' i.e. continental. All the light dustings followed by the grit / melt / dirt (on Sapphire black) drives me nuts.
And yes, working freom home is definitely a good choice (me too)
Old 02-11-2010, 12:53 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by stiker
DD, I wish we could have snow like we have had in the UK recently - thick, deep and the 'real deal' i.e. continental. All the light dustings followed by the grit / melt / dirt (on Sapphire black) drives me nuts.
And yes, working freom home is definitely a good choice (me too)
Be careful what you wish for. We've had continuous snow for 96 hours now. Four feet so far.