Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

front plate enforcement in Orange County, CA

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 04:42 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: *on order* expected 12/20/07: 2008 550i space gray, gray leather, anthracite bamboo, sport pkg, logic7, iPod, HD, Sirius, Navigation, head-up display, comfort access, heated front seats, fold-down seats

Hey guys,

I just moved down to Irvine from Hollywood. Trying to get a feel for how strict cops are on enforcing the front license plate law. In LA it's pretty common to get tickets from parking enforcement as well as getting pulled over by cops for no front plate. Because of this, I actually left my dealer sticker on the bottom of the windshield (it's been there for 19 months). That way, cops see me coming and think my car is brand new.

Anyway, I'm thinking of taking the dealer sticker off b/c it's pretty ugly. Wondering if there are any people out there that live in Irvine (or close by in the OC) that could share their front plate experiences.

thanks!
Old 07-15-2009, 10:56 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

personally Im running with a euro plate in front. I was hassled once for it in Huntington beach, but it wasnt the reason for being pulled over at that time. typically, in OC from my experience it hasnt been so strict on having a front plate *knock on wood* compared to LA.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:32 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by NeRwEEzy' post='943724' date='Jul 15 2009, 11:56 PM
typically, in OC from my experience it hasnt been so strict on having a front plate *knock on wood* compared to LA.
+1
Old 07-16-2009, 01:18 AM
Members

Old 07-16-2009, 01:21 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Yup. I would say that LA is a bitch when it comes to front plates. I actually received a total of 3 tix in LA because of front plates. All three times I was parked for short amount of time on side of street too. (Once I was helping my brother move, and literally was only on side of street for 5 min)

But here in OC, it's practically the norm to see German cars without front plates. When you venture to Newport Beach (where I used to live) and Newport Coast area, you'll be surprised by how few front plates you see.

All in all, I definitely wouldn't worry about it in OC. Both my cars have no front plates, and I've never had problems down here. (Same goes for SD as well)
Old 07-17-2009, 08:34 AM
Members

My Ride: *on order* expected 12/20/07: 2008 550i space gray, gray leather, anthracite bamboo, sport pkg, logic7, iPod, HD, Sirius, Navigation, head-up display, comfort access, heated front seats, fold-down seats

Thanks for all the info.

Cops in LA tell me that they need to enforce the law because of the red light cameras. Which is BS... I got a red light camera ticket in Culver City and I didn't have a front plate. Those cameras get a clear shot of your face and then again of the rear license plate. Not only that, but the cameras record a video of the entire event. That's all they need. I haven't noticed any red light cameras in Irvine... maybe that's why they don't enforce it as much.

I will say though that having that dealer sticker in my front window has saved me. I got pulled over on Venice Blvd a few weeks ago for speeding. The motorcycle cop went around to the front of my car and saw that I had no front plate. He then saw the sticker in the window and asked if it was a new car. I said, "yeah... it's new. I love this car." And that was that. He must have been completely out-to-lunch. I obviously had a rear license plate on. I showed him my registration card that was dated. He just never put 2 and 2 together.

Anyway, my detailer is coming down next week to spend the day working on my car. I think I'll have him take the sticker off and clean off all that built up adhesive on the front window.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:31 PM
Contributors

I lived in Irvine for about 5 years, and from my experience, though they will probably not pull you over for your front license plate, expect to be pulled over by multiple patrol cars at once for something else.

I was driving on Barranca one day and saw 3 patrol cars pull over an old woman in a 90's Toyota Corolla.

Plus I tend to see more BMW bike cops and Charger patrol cars in Irvine than other cities.. for obvious reasons.

Definitely your tax dollars at work there.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:35 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jackstraw' post='945045' date='Jul 17 2009, 05:34 PM
Thanks for all the info.

Cops in LA tell me that they need to enforce the law because of the red light cameras. Which is BS... I got a red light camera ticket in Culver City and I didn't have a front plate. Those cameras get a clear shot of your face and then again of the rear license plate. Not only that, but the cameras record a video of the entire event. That's all they need. I haven't noticed any red light cameras in Irvine... maybe that's why they don't enforce it as much.

I will say though that having that dealer sticker in my front window has saved me. I got pulled over on Venice Blvd a few weeks ago for speeding. The motorcycle cop went around to the front of my car and saw that I had no front plate. He then saw the sticker in the window and asked if it was a new car. I said, "yeah... it's new. I love this car." And that was that. He must have been completely out-to-lunch. I obviously had a rear license plate on. I showed him my registration card that was dated. He just never put 2 and 2 together.

Anyway, my detailer is coming down next week to spend the day working on my car. I think I'll have him take the sticker off and clean off all that built up adhesive on the front window.
Upps i ran a few lights when there last week, i dont think they can collect though
Old 07-30-2009, 02:38 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

I don't like getting pulled over so I just keep the plate. I like no drama life - it's so much easier
Old 07-30-2009, 02:39 PM
Contributors

Generally, LA cops are a little more strict about the plates, but Irvine is pretty bad considering it's OC.

Quick Reply: front plate enforcement in Orange County, CA