Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Found out a close family member has cancer

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 09:38 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I don't wanna mope or anything, just... wanted to share and hopefully, hear some pointers. It is - THANK GOD!!! - a very minor case and the doctors are saying that the surgery is expected to take care of it. All in all, looks like he'll be in the hospital about 10 days though. I'm devastated and hopeful and confused - all at the same time. I don't know what to do or say - I don't do very well with this type of situations... I am in line to step up and be the supporting pillar - hopefully, for a very short period of time, until he gets back to normal after the surgery. And hopefully, that'll be the end of that. Looking in the eyes of his son yesterday and I could hardly contain myself watching how this new life is so full of life and optimism.

Whatever the case, I just wanted to remind you guys how important it is to stay healthy, eat healthy and look after yourself. Life is so fucking fragile and so fucking amazing at the same time... there's no time to spend arguing and nagging and bickering and whatnot - just enjoy every second of it. Hug your families and do something nice today, for me, please, ok

Just don't make this thread dark, please, guys and gals! Let's talk about something to look forward to and some positive stuff - we all could use some positivity in our lives, especially these days.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

Stay positive bro. My uncle just beat cancer down!!! He is recovering. Through much prayer and perseverance, we can overcome it all. Smile man, all is not lost.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:46 AM
Contributors

Thanks BRO! Not the hardest news I've had to overcome for sure! Thanks for the support
Old 03-13-2010, 09:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by v_therussian
I don't wanna mope or anything, just... wanted to share and hopefully, hear some pointers. It is - THANK GOD!!! - a very minor case and the doctors are saying that the surgery is expected to take care of it. All in all, looks like he'll be in the hospital about 10 days though. I'm devastated and hopeful and confused - all at the same time. I don't know what to do or say - I don't do very well with this type of situations... I am in line to step up and be the supporting pillar - hopefully, for a very short period of time, until he gets back to normal after the surgery. And hopefully, that'll be the end of that. Looking in the eyes of his son yesterday and I could hardly contain myself watching how this new life is so full of life and optimism.

Whatever the case, I just wanted to remind you guys how important it is to stay healthy, eat healthy and look after yourself. Life is so fucking fragile and so fucking amazing at the same time... there's no time to spend arguing and nagging and bickering and whatnot - just enjoy every second of it. Hug your families and do something nice today, for me, please, ok

Just don't make this thread dark, please, guys and gals! Let's talk about something to look forward to and some positive stuff - we all could use some positivity in our lives, especially these days.
So so sorry to hear that Vlad. I have lost a number of family members to cancer. I hope that you relative has found the best doctor given that, with some forms of cancer, who you chose as your doctor can have a big impact on the prognosis and treatment. if you relative is in the NY area, get them to Memorial Sloan Kettering; the nation's top cancer center. I know someone in the physician referral service there. If you need anything, give me a call and I'd be happy to help.

Yes life is fragile and sometimes way too short.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i

Keep a positive attitude that's the best way to beat it.
My sister just went through that.
Be strong and keep the faith.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:55 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sdg1871
So so sorry to hear that Vlad. I have lost a number of family members to cancer. I hope that you relative has found the best doctor given that, with some forms of cancer, who you chose as your doctor can have a big impact on the prognosis and treatment. if you relative is in the NY area, get them to Memorial Sloan Kettering; the nation's top cancer center. I know someone in the physician referral service there. If you need anything, give me a call and I'd be happy to help.

Yes life is fragile and sometimes way too short.
Thanks, pal! I think Sloan Kettering is where he's going for surgery. I was such a mess mentally when I got the news the other day, I don't remember much of the details that I was told.

Thanks for the kind words, brother We'll pull through!

God Bless you and your family!

Originally Posted by nick1970
Keep a positive attitude that's the best way to beat it.
My sister just went through that.
Be strong and keep the faith.
Thanks, brother! For the most part, we are all strong so far. I'm very happy to see that his wife is taking it standing up - not a shade of being upset, she's just resiliently standing fast, ready to help with whatever it takes, supporting him as much as possible.

Thanks again and God Bless you and yours!
Old 03-13-2010, 09:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Thanks, pal! I think Sloan Kettering is where he's going for surgery. I was such a mess mentally when I got the news the other day, I don't remember much of the details that I was told.

Thanks for the kind words, brother We'll pull through!

God Bless you and your family!

Thanks, brother! For the most part, we are all strong so far. I'm very happy to see that his wife is taking it standing up - not a shade of being upset, she's just resiliently standing fast, ready to help with whatever it takes, supporting him as much as possible.

Thanks again and God Bless you and yours!
Glad to hear that he's going to MSKCC. There's no better cancer hospital anywhere (yes MD Andersen and Mayo Clinic are great too but they're in other parts of the country).
Old 03-13-2010, 10:16 AM
Contributors

Your family is in my prayers....keep your head up
Old 03-13-2010, 10:17 AM
Contributors

Vlad, good that you're nearby, willing and able to provide support.

Remember to take care of yourself too ... I've been in similar situations during the past few years and you shouldn't underestimate the emotional burden placed on a care-giver.

Keep on keepin on!
Old 03-13-2010, 10:21 AM
Contributors

having some regrets about starting this thread now I can be such a softie sometimes... guess its true what they say now - men are more emotional than women Thanks for all the kind words, guys, I really appreciate it! I just hope this doesn't put anyone in a bad mood - if anything, I only hope that you read this, and go out there and enjoy every little thing you can possibly enjoy about life! And hopefully, if we stay up, other people will look at us and get inspired - and they'll inspire more people and so on. And maybe - just maybe - some day we'll be happy - even if there are still diseases and causes for heartbreak, maybe we can make the world a better place.

Quick Reply: Found out a close family member has cancer