Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

First speeding ticket help =/

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 07:27 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was caught doing 83 in a 55 on taconic state parkway thursday morning. The cop used a laser to get me. I was very polite to officer hoping he would cut me a break but he said I was too fast and wrote me up for the 83 in a 55. He told me to get a lawyer. Now this ticket is 6 pts. Any tips/advice to get it down? Everyone told me I should go an hour early and "bargain" with the prosecutor and they usually drop it to 2pts or a parking ticket or something.

Someone also told me the insurance company sees the ticket regardless of what it gets dropped down to. Is this true? So if my 6pt ticket gets dropped to a 2pt ticket will the insurance company still see the original 6 pt ticket? Is that even possible lol? I thought you had to be convicted of a ticket before it appears on your record....so if they drop it to a 2 pt ticket or a parking ticket then they should only see those.

And should I keep delaying the court date? Lastly we were going to switch insurance companies next month....will the new companies see the ticket or will they not see it until I have had my court date and been convicted?

Now I am not going to bad mouth this cop...he was actually nice in many ways. Did not give me ticket for tints or front plate. I also made the exit by cutting in without signaling. Just hope it can get reduced to 2 pts or a parking ticket .
Old 09-17-2011, 08:50 AM
Contributors

jesus christ. I've said it a million times on this forum. I'll say it once more. Hire one of those traffic lawyers. They cost like $150 bucks and they get you out of everything. If you walk into the courtroom and try to haggle, you are fucked, especially being a teenager driving a BMW. Let the lawyer find some obscure shit to get you off. Last time the lawyer got me off because there was something that was not submitted correctly when the cop filed the paperwork for the court date.

If the ticket is a misdemeanor, it might cost a little more- but still your ONLY option.

Dont fuck around, hire a traffic lawyer. There is no other advice to be given. Any advice anyone else provides after this post that doesn't concur with my advice, is dead fucking wrong.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:20 AM
Contributors

lulz, hire an attorney, take it like a man and deal with it. in order to avoid this situation in the future, invest in a radar detector and drive at the speed limit. at the very least drive with the flow of traffic. what do you expect when you're driving 28 mph above the speed limit?
Old 09-17-2011, 09:22 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by dbae1978
lulz, hire an attorney, take it like a man and deal with it. in order to avoid this situation in the future, invest in a radar detector and drive at the speed limit. at the very least drive with the flow of traffic. what do you expect when you're driving 28 mph above the speed limit?
I thought you are supposed to do one or the other
Old 09-17-2011, 09:24 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by craigm1841
I thought you are supposed to do one or the other
what else would you tell the poor kid?
Old 09-17-2011, 09:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

Hire a lawyer then buy a radar detector send it to me and I will modify it and keep it.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Black/BlacK

I did the same ~85 in 55 something like that, and a traffic lawyer got me off 0 points due to something (no idea) just paid and after ~ 2 years I got a letter saying I won so definitely hire a lawyer