Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

European Delivery

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 11:05 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ULtraPLanet' date='Aug 2 2004, 08:58 PM
[quote name='mrbelk' date='Aug 2 2004, 07:55 PM'] What I find confusing is the signalling protocol when in a roundabout.? I have no idea how to use the signals in a roundabout.

-MrB
The really strange thing is that the right before left law actually applies to roundabouts too. Which means traffic in the circle has to yield to traffic entering the circle if there aren't any signs telling you different.

Signal when exiting the roundabout not when entering. [/quote]
Ultraplanet - That roundabout protocol no longer applies. It was a really strange antiquated right of way law that you only saw in certain parts of France.

Certainly the UK has never had it. Drivers waiting to get on to the roundabout ALWAYS give way to those on it.

Look here for simple instructions
Old 08-03-2004, 12:48 AM
Contributors

WOW browellm - I'm really glad I don't have to drive in the UK. Looking at that picture of the roundabout going clockwise makes my head spin and forget about the double mini!
Old 08-03-2004, 01:14 AM
Senior Members

Haha, It not as bad as it seems (although I would say that!)

Don't worry about double-mini's. Just drive straight over the top of those
Old 08-03-2004, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Speaking about roundabouts...
How do you like this one?
Attached Thumbnails European Delivery-lifemagi1.jpg  
Old 08-03-2004, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

This is no joke , it's real, and works. Even though they are all driving on the wrong side of the road...
Attached Thumbnails European Delivery-magi01.jpg  
Old 08-03-2004, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

Swindon is the name of the city you have to avoid !
Attached Thumbnails European Delivery-magicsign.jpg  
Old 08-03-2004, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mrbelk' date='Aug 3 2004, 01:30 AM
One thing that I didn't understand was why no right turn on a red light?? Seems like that could help with some of the congestion.? Seems like a no-brainer to me.
I like that too. but I guess German drivers are too aggressive and forget to watch out for pedestrians or the other traffic.
We do have traffic lights where there is a green arrow pointing to the right. It's not illuminated and attached to the traffic light. That means you are allowed to turn right, even when red. But you have to stop (full stop) first at the line, make sure there is no pedestrian, and then slowly continue and yield for other traffic. Maybe you have to stop again. This seemed to be too complicated, so they are removing those signs...
Old 08-03-2004, 11:47 PM
Contributors

Iceman - Since your can't turn right on red there is a light I sit at often that has a sign suggesting you stop your engine. I was watching auto motor und sport TV the other day and they said if you sit at a light for longer than 20 seconds you can save fuel by turning your engine off. Do you ever do this or know anybody that does?
Old 08-04-2004, 05:13 AM
JDN
Contributors

I do it at railroad crossings, but never at a traffic light.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ULtraPLanet' date='Aug 4 2004, 09:47 AM
Iceman - Since your can't turn right on red there is a light I sit at often that has a sign suggesting you stop your engine. I was watching auto motor und sport TV the other day and they said if you sit at a light for longer than 20 seconds you can save fuel by turning your engine off. Do you ever do this or know anybody that does?
My Daddy did it in the past, but isn't doing it anymore. I am pretty sure I would save fuel with my V8, but to be honest I really don't care and I want the A/C on, so I just lt the engine run.
At railroad crossings I do see that sometimes, but when you see what cars they have, it doesn't make a lot of sense. On bigger engines, yes, you would save some fuel, but do you care when you buy a V8 in Germany ? NO. I guess that is coming from the oil crisis, that ppl started thinking about that...
But if you turn the engine off you are not only saving some (small amount of) fuel, you are also saving the environment...
I think some ppl do it for the environment, some for their wallets... I don't care and don't do it, and I don't know any friend of mine who is doing it...

Quick Reply: European Delivery