Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

European Delivery

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 04:35 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just wondering how people taking European Delivery of their cars prepare for driving in Europe? Does BMW send you information about road signs and laws? Or do you just wing it?

The weirdest one for me was the ?right before left rule.? German?s will take that ?right of way? without a second thought and I guess I do now too as it seems quite natural. But it is really weird the first time you roll up to an intersection with no signs at all and a car shoots out in front of you from the right. Talk about a panic stop!

2-6. RIGHT-OF-WAY
a. When traffic signs are absent, vehicles coming from the right have the right-of-way at intersections, junctions, and traffic circles. This rule applies to motor vehicles, bicycles, and animal-drawn wagons. Excluding the exceptions in b below, the ?right-before-left? rule applies at all intersections regardless of the width of the street or the angle of the intersection.
It just scares me to death to see friends that visit and get rental cars that are totally unprepared, I will not ride with them.

Anyway just wondering?
Old 08-02-2004, 05:46 AM
JDN
Contributors

When I traveled for my company, I steadfastly refused to drive in a foreign country. A coworker accepted a transfer to NZ and after being there 3 years took off in the wrong direction under stress one day, reverted to US rules, and smashed his 740. 'Nuff said.

I may likely do Euro delivery if I do another fiver down the road. However, I would only be interested in flying over taking delivery and flying back. Would that work?
Old 08-02-2004, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I might be wrong but I think you need to put a certain number of miles on it in order for it to qualify.

JDN, just drive in Germany and other countries that drive on the right ("correct") side of the road.
Old 08-02-2004, 06:21 AM
JDN
Contributors

Will do if necessary, but I'm a long way from there now. The honeymoon with this fiver is getting sweeter every day. Wanna make a quick run for some ice cream with me?
Old 08-02-2004, 06:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

My "quick" ice cream runs keep getting longer and longer...
Old 08-02-2004, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Aug 2 2004, 04:23 PM
My "quick" ice cream runs keep getting longer and longer...

Canton, Cleveland, Detroit, or Buffalo Toronto...?
Old 08-02-2004, 09:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i/6sp SilverGray/Beige

Originally Posted by ULtraPLanet' date='Aug 2 2004, 06:35 AM
The weirdest one for me was the ?right before left rule.? German?s will take that ?right of way? without a second thought and I guess I do now too as it seems quite natural. But it is really weird the first time you roll up to an intersection with no signs at all and a car shoots out in front of you from the right. Talk about a panic stop!
The implied right of way never really got me that much. It is kind of wierd to see an intersection over there with no control devices like Yield or Stop signs. Driving over there isn't really that much different than here, except that the drivers are way better over there.

What I find confusing is the signalling protocol when in a roundabout. I have no idea how to use the signals in a roundabout.

-MrB
Old 08-02-2004, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

We have a lot of rules that are different to the US!!!
Old 08-02-2004, 12:58 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mrbelk' date='Aug 2 2004, 07:55 PM
What I find confusing is the signalling protocol when in a roundabout. I have no idea how to use the signals in a roundabout.

-MrB
The really strange thing is that the right before left law actually applies to roundabouts too. Which means traffic in the circle has to yield to traffic entering the circle if there aren't any signs telling you different.

Signal when exiting the roundabout not when entering.
Old 08-02-2004, 03:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i/6sp SilverGray/Beige

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Aug 2 2004, 02:55 PM
We have a lot of rules that are different to the US!!!
One thing that I didn't understand was why no right turn on a red light? Seems like that could help with some of the congestion. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

You have to yield to someone entering a roundabout if they're entering on your right? I knew about the right-hand rule for regular intersections, but never saw that rule for roundabouts. When I've driven in the UK and in France, people _in_ the roundabouts have the right of way over people wanting to enter the roundabout.

-MrB

Quick Reply: European Delivery