Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Economic crisis

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 05:18 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 CarbonBlack 535d, Ventilated and Heated Comfort Seats with Massage in Black Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Professional Navi, Folding Rear Seats, Load Through, Advanced Remote, PDC, Bluetooth, Dimming and folding Mirrors, Bi-Xenons, Hi-Fi, Tinted
Unhappy

I'm really curious because everyone talks about it and nothing really happens (people use it as an excuse to not buy stuff they were used to spend money on impulsively before). Well, OK, some factories closed for a week or so and some people lost their jobs. I guess it's just about focusing on efficiency which hasn't been the main issue everywhere. At least in Czech Republic. We don't have a real crisis there as we went through two crisis several years ago. It's more of a reflection of what's happening in the U.S.

Our banker in Spain said he used to sell around 400 mortgages per year, in 2008, he sold 20 .... other than that, no one really cares and knows.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:21 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60

It seems to me that the crisis is mostly exaggerated by the press here. Everyone screaming recession makes most folks go into a panic thus causing a real slowdown.

For the most, it's a excuse for companies to:

1. cut their labor force down (and with a good excuse to boot)
2. restructure company the way they see fit without anyone yelling lawsuit/foul/etc.

I feel even the environmentalists 'greens' are to blame for this as well here. The gov't in Taiwan
has gone so 'green' the past 1/2 year that it was fashionable to spend less, don't buy cars, don't
buy luxury items, use less electricity/gas, etc. I'm so f**king sick of it!!! Even the president
keeps making an example by being so stingy, making his officials not wear suit jackets, jacking up the
AC by a few degrees,etc.

Now the gov't realizes it's made a mistake because people ARE spending less, not buying cars,
not buying luxury items, not eating out, not using more elect/gas thus CAUSING more shops to close,
more companies to fire people...and their dumb brains are going 'duh!' -- we didn't know that it would
affect the economy!' I have one question for these officials and it's "ARE YOU FREAKING STUPID OR
WHAT?!!!

So here we have it. Gov't has led the way, media has blown it out of proportion, and companies are laying people off or forcing them to take 1/2 the time off (unpaid leave) not because of company profit losses but because since everyone says it's a recession, they can use this time to trim/cut off any excess in management/labor costs without hassle. It's a excuse.

As for my industry, we're too smart to fall for that so it's the same. I'm even more busy.

OK, I'm done ranting.......

Hmmm.. one more comment: To hell with all the green talk!!!! It's ruining us all!!! I'm going to get the biggest gas guzzling V10 or V12 out there next time I change cars!!!!