Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

E60 Grammar Police

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 10:34 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, here is a list of common retardation I see sometimes running rampantly throughout our forums and it must stop. The reason it must stop is because I'm an elitist prick when it comes to proper English and I can't fathom the idea that one could own a $60k+ car and not know how to spell "bumper". So, this thread is being born to combat stupidity and educate the offenders.

1) Its spelled BUMPER, not bumber.
2) We use BRAKES, not breaks, and its BRAKING, not breaking.
3) CALIPERS, people, not calibers, (that is for proper bullet sizing so you can later shoot yourself).
4) After 2007 the E60 is considered an LCI model, not LCD, (LCD is the display you might be staring at in bewilderment at this very moment).

Anyone else care to add ones that they've heard? lol
Old 05-05-2009, 10:37 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

lol nice.

1) isn't their build in spell check?
4) unless your on a CRT

michael

(yes typos were intentional)

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='868788' date='May 5 2009, 11:34 AM
Ok, here is a list of common retardation I see sometimes running rampantly throughout our forums and it must stop. The reason it must stop is because I'm an elitist prick when it comes to proper English and I can't fathom the idea that one could own a $60k+ car and not know how to spell "bumper". So, this thread is being born to combat stupidity and educate the offenders.

3) CALIPERS, people, not calibers, (that is for proper bullet sizing so you can later shoot yourself).
4) After 2007 the E60 is considered an LCI model, not LCD, (LCD is the display you might be staring at in bewilderment at this very moment).

Old 05-05-2009, 10:41 AM
Members

Thank you for posting this! Number 1 has driven me crazy for a long time! The others are annoying to me as well but don't seem to happen quite as often.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:43 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='868788' date='May 5 2009, 02:34 PM

I think you've touched on a topic that may cause some to ... others to ... a few might

For me, it's

May I suggest one -- spell check in your browser to check before posting ?
Old 05-05-2009, 10:45 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='868788' date='May 5 2009, 02:34 PM

That should go for punctuation, too. For example, in your statements 3 and 4, you have an illegal use of a comma before the parenthesis. If you did not have the parenthesis, you would not be closing your statements with ",." and therefore it is wrong. Not nitpicking; I'm just saying......
Old 05-05-2009, 10:46 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='868788' date='May 5 2009, 07:34 PM

+1

and a few more..

1) bonnet not hood
2) petrol not gas
3) manual gearbox not stick shift
4) tyre not tire
5) bumper not fender
6) boot not trunk
7) discs not rotors
8) silencer not muffler

any more ???

Old 05-05-2009, 10:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

I don't even know the language, it's my third on the list.

All I know is that the British and you US guys do spell some words differently,
suppose the Aussies has their thing, also.

I couldn't care less If we do understand each others, I see the chat as OK.

But I can also see (read) a huge difference in the cultures!
Old 05-05-2009, 10:48 AM
Contributors

I thought I was the only elitist prick when it comes to spelling, etc. There have been so many times I wanted to post corrections, but just couldn't bring myself out of the closet.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i sport

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='868788' date='May 5 2009, 01:34 PM

HAHAHA +1k!!!!!

I need to dig up this thread where this guy spelled it as breaks almost a dozen times in one paragraph, including the topic description. UGH...I hope I can find it....

EDIT: YES... http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=74225&hl=
Old 05-05-2009, 10:55 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Blunt' post='868801' date='May 5 2009, 11:46 AM
+1

and a few more..

1) bonnet not hood
2) petrol not gas
3) manual gearbox not stick shift
4) tyre not tire
5) bumper not fender