Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Dumbest thing you ever did in your E60..........

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 09:56 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live 3 house up from the ocean and my road is on a slight decline/incline (however you want to look at it...). My last car was a manual transmission and I parked it in the road one night after coming home from work. A couple of hours later I was taking the trash barrels out and I looked and thought...hmm, where is my car...apparently I didnt set the e-brake high enough! Thankfully, when it rolled down my road it slammed into the last telephone pole, head-on, right before plunging into the ocean! Im more thankful it didnt take out a person or a kid. The funny part is that the pole is at the end of my neighbors driveway and when she came home, she just parked behind me and didnt think to tell me my car was squished up against a pole in front of her house and I was blocking her driveway! Anyways...$4900 bucks later, life goes on...
Old 11-15-2007, 10:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Mercedes Benz e63 AMG

In my E60, probably taking a picture of the speedometer at 115 with a cell phone camera balanced on the steering wheel. Duh.

In any car, that's a good question.

Like the poster above, I did a quick exit from an expressway once after seeing a cop heading in the opposite direction slow down and turn around with lights going...I was right at an exit and slid down the ramp and into a motel parking lot, where I spent 10 minutes crapping my pants while freaking out that I'd surely be going to jail if he found me.

Accidents aside, I clipped a mailbox with a passenger side mirror when not paying enough attention, as I'd had a couple of beers. Scared the hell out of me that it could have been a person walking on the road, and caused me to get very serious about not driving after more than one drink. Again, I was a lucky dude.

The best story in which I have been personally involved was in high school, when my pal's father let us take his new '86 Vette out cruising one night, and my pal, trying to show off in front of a group of kids in a parking lot, did a donut with me sitting shot-gun. It was an amazing show, smoking the tires as we spun around. The only problem was that the parking brake was on the whole time...let's just say it was not a pretty result afterwards.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:40 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, Auto, Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Leather, Sport and Premium Packages, HUD

This may be the dumbest accident I've ever had happen.

I was driving my E30 on a dirt road in northern Arizona. The road was in pretty good condition, with patches of grass in the middle periodically, so I felt comfortable with it. All of a sudden, I see a rock in the middle, mostly obscured by the grass around it. I hit the brakes, but it was too late. THUD! I stop the engine, and get out to assess the damage. Sure enough, I put a nice hole in the oil pan, and all the oil drained out. I had to walk about 8 miles out to the highway, hitch a ride back home, and get a friend with a truck to give me a tow.

Several years later, I'm in New Jersey with the same car. I was behind an abandoned warehouse I was looking at for business purposes. As I was driving up to the back of the warehouse, the sun was in my eyes. The glare got so bad I decided to stop and put my head out the window so I could see where I was going. Unfortunately, in the course of stopping, I hit a concrete pier jutting almost 200 feet directly out from the warehouse. There it was, just sitting there, with no apparent reason for existing.

Where did it hit the car? The oil pan. What fun!
Old 11-15-2007, 10:47 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, Auto, Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Leather, Sport and Premium Packages, HUD

In my E60, I can think of a few things:

- driving >120MPH in Mexico
- Hitting the passenger side mirror on the side of my garage when backing into my garage
- Taking it to the dealer to fix a small problem, finding out that new problems mysteriously appear after such a visit
Old 11-15-2007, 11:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by pukka' post='494594' date='Nov 15 2007, 02:46 PM
I have been living in Germany for over 5 years.
Yes, but somedoby, reading your messages, could think you are the only european with 535i

But using the back seats and trunk as a bed to bump uglies??? I'm speechless!
'Boot' sounds more .. english
Old 11-15-2007, 11:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='494605' date='Nov 15 2007, 03:09 PM
So now the truth comes out as to why you went for the stiffer m-sport suspension!
Old 11-15-2007, 06:30 PM
Members

Another dumb idea I executed once upon a time...

I was about to be leaving a fine dining establishment with a friend after a wonderful meal of hot wings and pitchers of beer. We had one small problem - a barely touched pitcher of beer that we just couldn't bring ourselves to leave behind.

So we didn't. My buddy put the full pitcher, with mugs, under his coat and off we went. We hopped in my car (E30) and began our drive home. It was dark. There was nobody around. I was driving about 80 in a 55 when my radar detector lit up and started screaming...

Uh oh...

The cop was coming directly towards us. I knew I had the advantage of speed, a black car at night, and a twisty little section shortly ahead with no lights and several turnoffs. I shut my headlights off, and pulled back the turn signal lever and used the flash-to-pass function to hide my tail lights (yes, I'd often considered how I would use this feature). With a plan in my mind, I downshifted and floored it.

We made it down into a very sheltered turn off, about 1/4 mile from the main road. I parked the car behind a trailer that was sitting there, and we ran up into the woods and sat still for 1/2 hour. Never saw the cop again!
Old 11-16-2007, 08:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Black/BlacK

going >130 in NY State, going >80 on Brooklyn Bridge, thats about it for speed, hmmm I embarassingly drove about a block with the parking brake on. as for near collisions.. on the LIE a supercharged range rover sport nearly merged into my car and I had to swerve outta the way and the car shook like hell left and right ... thats hopefully all that will ever happen
Old 11-16-2007, 08:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

I let my wife drive the car. That was the dumbest thing ever.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='495488' date='Nov 17 2007, 12:55 AM
I let my wife drive the car. That was the dumbest thing ever.

C,,, I already beat you to that one !!! Get her a 1 series... ! I'm lookin good on this idea so far ...... although she told me tonite that it kinda looks like a cute little Audi !! WTF !!

Quick Reply: Dumbest thing you ever did in your E60..........