Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Dumbest thing you ever did in your E60..........

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 11:56 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

All right, fess up!

I just KNOW there are some good stories out there It could be a story about ANY car.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:27 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by pukka' post='494534' date='Nov 15 2007, 09:56 AM
It could be a story about ANY car.

You are the only one in Europe with the 535i, eh ?
Here your story
Old 11-15-2007, 01:06 AM
Contributors

This'll be moved in to the Lounge soon but here goes ...

I was about 22, had been working very late, about 2am. A colleague was staying at my house that night so we both drove home in our separate cars, and being 22 and stupid we were racing a little. We were coming up to a set of traffic lights, he was in front, he accelerated as they were turning orange and went through just as they went red. I was about 3 or 4 seconds behind him and, for some stupid reason, thought "I'll follow". So as I went through the red light at around 50mph in a 30mph limit (I know I know, this is a "dumbest things" thread), I saw a white light out my left side window and quickly realised a huge truck was coming towards me. I was convinced it was going to hit me, and it did - it scraped the back of my bumper and took a chunk out of the plastic, but my car kept going and so did the truck. I got back to my house shaken. Although it was 11 years ago, I still think about it regularly - almost every time I go through a set of lights but also whilst lying in bed or sitting in meetings ... it was such a trauma that it's something I'll never forget. Because of this, I never run red lights (and not orange unless its safe), and always check the other roads coming in to a junction even if my light is green. At least twice have I been approaching a green light and seen a car run a red light and have manouvered to avoid a crash.

I know it was dumb, no need to pipe up and tell me, I was an idiot - and I was lucky that the truck didn't hit me a fraction of a second earlier. Still, I learned from my mistake, and know that I am a more careful driver because of it. Doesn't make it good or right, but if we can't learn from our mistakes what else can we do (other than not make them in the first place!).
Old 11-15-2007, 01:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='494547' date='Nov 15 2007, 04:27 AM
You are the only one in Europe with the 535i, eh ?
Here your story
With my 535?....I curbed the front wheel while looking at a cute lady The wheel is not scraped too bad, but I let it be my reminder to think with my head when I'm driving.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:07 AM
Banned

Going 150mph down I 10 in the desert. Even with a radar detector it was dumb for several reasons. One it was silly since I was racking a MB sl 500 who blew my doors off anyway-but we took it up to 150 and no one was in sight with long visibility but once we hit 150 the cars ahead came at us so quickly I couldnt believe it and had to heavy brake quite a bit and change lanes going about 120. Had I not been in control and a bit of luck I may have wiped out badly. Or lost my liscense and went to jail-luck was on my side. But I just had to find out if my car could get up to 150-well it did. Was quite amazing actually, I was doing 130 and climbing and the sl500 came from way back and BLEW by me at 140-now it is hard to blow by someone at 140-those things are fast!
Old 11-15-2007, 02:42 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Reversing in a huge almost entirely empty outside car park, I just let the car roll back assuming there was nothing behind me and that the PDC would warn me anyway... I was obviously rolling too quickly for the PDC to react and I successfully managed to roll into the only (approx. 0.5m high) pillar/bin in the whole f-ing car park Fortunately I only pressed in the rear diffuser very slightly, but boy did I look like right muppet infront of the bus full of tourists checking the "cool 5er m-sport" -- at least they enjoyed themselves!

That's certainly the dumbest, however not the most irresponsible. I'll save those storeis maybe for another post...
Old 11-15-2007, 04:14 AM
Senior Members

It could be a story about ANY car.

I've been pretty good in my E60 thusfar...However, I've had PLENTY of brain farts in the past.
4 wheels? 2 wheels? on road? off road? which decade? omg.
All you can do is hope no one gets hurt
Old 11-15-2007, 04:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by pukka' post='494560' date='Nov 15 2007, 11:53 AM
With my 535?....I curbed the front wheel while looking at a cute lady The wheel is not scraped too bad, but I let it be my reminder to think with my head when I'm driving.

You are clealy located in US : why Deutschland ?

One day I risked to hit in reverse my Mini, that was - unusually - out of the garage . Thanks Park Distance Control

About ladies .. A pair of times I used the rear seats pulled down and the boot like a bed - but it was a good idea at that moment
Old 11-15-2007, 04:46 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='494591' date='Nov 15 2007, 08:36 AM
You are clealy located in US : why Deutschland ?

About ladies .. A pair of times I used the rear seats pulled down and the boot like a bed - but it was a good idea at that moment
I have been living in Germany for over 5 years.

But using the back seats and trunk as a bed to bump uglies??? I'm speechless!
Old 11-15-2007, 05:09 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='494591' date='Nov 15 2007, 02:36 PM

So now the truth comes out as to why you went for the stiffer m-sport suspension!

Quick Reply: Dumbest thing you ever did in your E60..........