Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Which DSLR should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 11:54 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

The G10 just isn't cutting it anymore -- I need a DSLR. I'm no professional and don't plan on making photography a hobby. I want to take some really nice pictures of my family and am missing great opportunities with the G10. Nothing else really matters. So what do I go with?

Option 1 -- Canon Rebel XS vs. Nikon D3000

or

Option 2 -- Canon Rebel T1i vs. Nikon D5000

I read on dpreview that the lenses that come with these camera's don't do so well on the higher resolution camera's listed in #2, so I'm debating if they are even worth the additional cost. I already have a new Sony 1080 HD Handycam, so I don't care for the video on these camera's, which I know is a plus with option 2.

So here are the questions:

1) Do I do Nikon or Canon (Which is more user-friendly)?
2) Does Option 2 even make sense for me? Are the quality of the images between Option 1 and Option 2 that noticeable?
Old 07-06-2010, 12:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

I'm Canon guy, so I'd say T1i. Not because of the HD video capability but the processor has been upgraded since XS. It's faster with more MP. And the video comes in handy when you don't want to carry 2 pieces of equipments all the time. Also, the T1i price has come down a lot after T2i comes out. GL with your search.

You'll be fine with the kit lens, When you get good at it, then think about investing more on lenses.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545i loaded!

By switching to a DSLR will not make it easier to get a great shot. There is a steep learning curve with SLR's and it will take you a good little while to master it. A low end SLR with a kit lens will produce the same pictures as your G10. I would lean towards either in option 1 but realize you will need to spend another 600 or so on a good lens or all you are really getting is a G10 with more controls that you won't know how to use. Glass is what makes a camera like i said on the other thread i have 2k in camera bodies and a lot more in lenses (i will put it this way i have insurance on my lenses).

I am surprised the G10 isn't cutting it, it takes some great pictures and has pretty good ISO. If you want to get rid of the G10 let me know i have been looking for a good used G9/10/G11.

Really I would double back and practice with your G10 maybe add a external flash. The easy secret to good shots is ambient light!
Old 07-06-2010, 12:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by theXman
I'm Canon guy, so I'd say T1i. Not because of the HD video capability but the processor has been upgraded since XS. It's faster with more MP. And the video comes in handy when you don't want to carry 2 pieces of equipments all the time. Also, the T1i price has come down a lot after T2i comes out. GL with your search.

You'll be fine with the kit lens, When you get good at it, then think about investing more on lenses.
Thanks David.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:17 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Defy
Really I would double back and practice with your G10 maybe add a external flash. The easy secret to good shots is ambient light!
The problem with my G10 is how slow it is, as well as the lighting. The main issue is that it's not fast enough between shots. I'm trying to capture shots of my daughter and I miss them because the G10 takes too long between shots. Any advice? Is there a better setting I can use to change that? Personally, I would love to keep the G10 and spend the money on my cars, but the wife isn't happy with the G10. A good friend has the Nikon D90 and her shots are fantastic. I'm losing the battle quickly!
Old 07-06-2010, 12:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Shutter lag is a killer (too bad they don't make a booster for that. haha). I also did switch over for the same reason when my kids were born. You hate to miss those moments.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:24 PM
Contributors

Well the D90 is in a different league that one is an upgrade from the G10 but the ones you listed are not that much better than a G10. For fast shots you want Frames per sec. I believe there is a burst option on the G10 that should take 3 shots at once. Does her friend also have a kit lens (i think it was a 18-105mm on the D90) or is it an upgraded one? That could make a difference too.

What kind of pics are you taking? Inside, kids running around? or Outside soccer games?
Old 07-06-2010, 12:34 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Defy
Well the D90 is in a different league that one is an upgrade from the G10 but the ones you listed are not that much better than a G10. For fast shots you want Frames per sec. I believe there is a burst option on the G10 that should take 3 shots at once. Does her friend also have a kit lens (i think it was a 18-105mm on the D90) or is it an upgraded one? That could make a difference too.

What kind of pics are you taking? Inside, kids running around? or Outside soccer games?
It does. It has an action mode, but I feel the quality of the image suffers in this mode, especially if I'm indoors. The lens on the D90 is definitely a telephoto lens -- not sure who makes it. I take pix inside and out. There are just certain faces that my daughter makes and when I try and grab it on the G10, I'm too late.

Maybe I'll just sell you my G10 and get one of these DSLR's.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:34 PM
Contributors

Are you talking about just taking pics in general it's too slow between pics or you can't catch some fast movement? The first would be Shutter Lag and the latter is what i was talking about with Burst/Frames per sec rate. They are related though the G10 has a .7FPS rate while the D3000 and the XS both have 3FPS so they would both be better than the G10 in that area.

But remember SLR's are not meant to be a point and shoot you should still understand some of the principles behind it.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:40 PM
Contributors

Maybe I'll just sell you my G10 and get one of these DSLR's.
Ok get the Nikon cause that's what i shoot no really go to the store and play with both of them and see which one you like better they are both spec'd pretty close.

Quick Reply: Which DSLR should I get?