Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Driver's Licence - easily for non nationals ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 01:32 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: carbon black/black dakota, M package with M aero kit, M suspension and 18" 135 M style wheels - steptronic, adaptive bi-xenon, active steering, moonroof, comfort seats, comfort access, nav pro, logic7, CD, HUD, PDC and some ...

Iceman is quite right, but only quite, because it?s not completely illegal in Germany.

True is, as an EU national, one can get a licence from another EU country, which, at least in Germany, will keep you from being penalized for "driving without a valid licence". This is because Euro law says, all EU licences have to be accredited mutually in the EU countries.

True is, in Poland, Czech Republic and the Netherlands, it?s quite easy to obtain a national licence as a EU citizen, even, if You do not live in those countries for more than 185 days per year, as the EU law requires. For example, see www.eufahrschule-polen.de. Not in hours, but in a week.

BUT, German authorities can -and will- put on you all the pressures, you tried to avoid in the first place, when they catch you with the foreign licence. This means, owning a foreign licence does not lift the ban on driving for 6 months or a year, that you get when your national licence is suspended or revoked, due to DUI, speeding or similar. And in most cases, it will mean, a German national, who has lost his German licence and shows up with a Polish one, will have to take the psychological test he tried to avoid, probably failing to pass and risking a lifelong ban.

So, like Iceman said, You have to check Your local law very carefully, how much this foreign licence will help You in Your country..
Old 04-19-2006, 02:06 AM
Senior Members

Peter, I hear your scream, I really do. I have a car like yours and I really know how it is to keep all the horses steady at all times. But why would you not try not to speed in the first place, or at least not to get caught while doing it?

Laws are there to obey them, not to find ways to circumvent them. If you get caught speeding, then probably not much a problem, and they wont investigate it too much, but what if you crash? They will go all lenghts to find more information and maybe then they will find out about your tricks and you'll get prosecuted hard.

I think the new Czech law is because of accident rates and too many indisciplined drivers, not because your government don't like you, speed, or BMW's.

I would be very happy if such a low would be instated here in my country, and that time will come soon. I've seen so many deaths on roads, that for me it's surely enough for many lifetimes.

And SURELY I don't want to offend you. It's human nature to try to circumvent laws we don't like (I am doing it, we're all doing it at one point or another - how throws the first stone?), but communism made us, eastern europeans, to try harder to circumvent the law than westerners. This is not good for us. I just love the discipline on German roads, and hate the indiscipline in latin cities like Paris or Rome. Romanians are still latins, and you can feel this on our streets, driving style resembles more italian/spanish/french style than german one. I would be glad to have 3-4 months Romanian police replaced by German police....

Okay, I am not a saint, otherwise I'd drive a 1.9 TDI. But I am sure, there are ways to speed sometimes and accomplish both tasks: feel good and feel safe. There must be safe road portions in Czech Republic where you can speed and because there are not so many accidents, the probability of getting caught is not that high.

My two eurocents.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

people, I'm no criminal this is just "in case" ..... I speed but out of the city and never got caught...... so far.... knock it on wood....

but a different view is that CZ police are pigs..... they will misuse the new law..... they will not measure the speed in a school zone and they will not watch for old broken vehicles with no insurance and no brakes and no seatbelts...... all they will do is a setup a radar on a nice freeway right by the end of the city and simple charge all the nice cars for big cash !!!!!

that is what pisses me off..... I support safety on roads but I really don't like how the police works here..... you see old smelly no valid emissions no seat belt no good brakes piece of car and the driver not knowing the rules, but nothing happens to him since the police knows he has no cash so they don;t bother...... but then you see nice cars doing like 70km/h on a freeway instead of 50km/h and you get penalized hard......

my 2 eurocents
Old 04-19-2006, 02:33 AM
Senior Members

I know exactly what you mean. Do you think it is different here? Believe me it's not. Anyway, I do not think you're a criminal. Not even close.

What I meant is to start changing the mentality in our countries, starting with us. Do you think that (utopic idea of course) if all very nice cars would not speed ever, the police will still enforce radars on highways, or they'll take care of those drivers, ignored so far?

What if the number of nice cars speeding will considerably shrink, will they still think they can earn easy money from there?