Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Driver's Licence - easily for non nationals ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 11:45 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

guys you don't seem to get my point.... I want another country's licence so I can drive back in my home country.... we have a new law coming into force soon.... and if they catch you 3 times for speeding your own local licence is suspended for a year!!!! so I would rather have a foreign licence ready because foreign licence can't be taken away, all they can do is to fine me which is ok
Old 04-17-2006, 11:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Originally Posted by kigerka' post='270287' date='Apr 17 2006, 02:26 PM
Well, you can get an international license from your country and drive in the states.
Or, you can stop by NC and pick up an identification and I believe a license. At least that is what all the illegals do.
what is NC???
Old 04-17-2006, 12:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='270291' date='Apr 17 2006, 02:45 PM
guys you don't seem to get my point.... I want another country's licence so I can drive back in my home country.... we have a new law coming into force soon.... and if they catch you 3 times for speeding your own local licence is suspended for a year!!!! so I would rather have a foreign licence ready because foreign licence can't be taken away, all they can do is to fine me which is ok
And you don't seem to get our point. It is very difficult to get one as a none resident and usually involves illegal means to get it! Unless you maintain dual residences/passports... Hence the joke by kigerka about ILLEGAL aliens obtaining them. Not sure your going to find anyone to come out publicly on this board and tell you how to obtain an illegal license, maybe someone will PM you!
Old 04-17-2006, 12:38 PM
Contributors

My point is if you go for a vacation or a visit to some foreign country for like a 2 months period and you don't have any licence what so ever and you never had one..... so can you get one during your visit???? so you can drive during your trip? can;t you just go to some test, exam and if you pass one to get one??? I'm sure in some countries you can.......

you US guys are way confused because US driver's licence is and ID at the same time.... in EU drivers licence is just a permit to drive..... with no real ID values and purposes..... you actually have to have a proper ID card prior to getting a drivers licence
Old 04-17-2006, 12:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='270313' date='Apr 17 2006, 03:38 PM
I never said anything about illegal one.
My point is if you go for a vacation or a visit to some foreign country for like a 2 months period and you don't have any licence what so ever and you never had one..... so can you get one during your visit???? so you can drive during your trip? can;t you just go to some test, exam and if you pass one to get one??? I'm sure in some countries you can.......

you US guys are way confused because US driver's licence is and ID at the same time.... in EU drivers licence is just a permit to drive..... with no real ID values and purposes..... you actually have to have a proper ID card prior to getting a drivers licence
OK, not sure why you think it's the US that is confused, but if that's your opinion, so be it. Here in the US, you need to present valid proof as well, including a birth certificate and proof of residency to get it. It is the way we do it here, sorry you don't like the answer, but it is what it is. There are illegal ways to obtain them.

Generally if you are licensed to drive elsewhere that license will be accepted here as well, unless you run into some a**hole cop who wants to hassle you. If you are licensed in your home country and are traveling this country for two months you don't need to get a US driver's license. Guess we're just confused over here...
Old 04-17-2006, 01:00 PM
Contributors

this is just getting somewhere else.... I was asking something totaly else... and besides - where to get - where possible.... all I get is what is not possible.... well I know that already.....

I should add to my question: all members EXCEPT USA please
Old 04-18-2006, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='269432' date='Apr 15 2006, 02:57 PM
as people seem not get my poit:
I want another country's licence so I can drive here in my home country.... this has nothing to do with moving or travelling.... I have my own licence with which I can already drive anywhere in the world.... BUT we have a new law coming into force soon.... and if they catch you 3 times for speeding here your own local licence is suspended for a year, which means no permit to drive!!!! so I would rather have one more licence, another one, a foreign licence ready because foreign licence can't be taken away over here, all they can do is to fine me which is ok............. I know people with various national driver's licences..... a person can have more than one country's drivers licence with no problem.... so I'm looking for a way to get any other country's drivers licence as well..... this is nothing illegal....
Peter,
I get your point. But you should check your local law.

Over here in Germany this IS illegal, and I guess in any other EU country to.

Here is why:

Your drivers license is only a piece of paper that shows prove, that you are allowed to drive a car.
If your license is revoked or currently suspended, you are not allowed to drive a car in that country where the license is revoked. They don't need to take away your license, they only put your name on a list in the computer and let you know that your license is now revoked in that country.

Anyways, Germans that need a second license get it from Poland in just a couple days, sometimes hours.

Such a license is a drivers license, but only good in Germany if your German license is not supended/revoked. And I'm pretty sure that this is the same in most if not all EU countrys.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2012 535i M Sport Package

Peter, too bad you are excluding us in the US since I have a very good idea
Old 04-18-2006, 11:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by miss525i' post='270931' date='Apr 19 2006, 11:53 AM
Peter, too bad you are excluding us in the US since I have a very good idea

Is not an US matter, even if you live in the states. Before you can get your driver's license, you need to prove your residency first. In my case I use to live in Canada, when we first move there we first go get a social insurance number (social security number in US) if you have that number that mean you are eligible to either live or work in Canada (US). Than when we go get our driver's license or learner's permit by showing the ministry of transport or DMV in the states the SIN or SSN to prove that we actually have permission to live there and that's the reason we need a driver's license. If you can't prove you live or work there, hence you have no reason to get a driver's license = no driver's license will be granted.

In Hong Kong, I can use my Canadian driver's license to get a HK license without going through all the road test but I would still have to show them my HKID card which prove that I have the right to live here, hence it all goes down to the residency problem we are talking about.

Now I don't know how EU work but I think is quite similar to the rest of the developed countries, unless they classified your place as LDC, then I think money will take care of that issue if you know what I mean
Old 04-18-2006, 11:50 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='270820' date='Apr 18 2006, 05:18 PM
Peter,
I get your point. But you should check your local law.

Over here in Germany this IS illegal, and I guess in any other EU country to.

Here is why:

Your drivers license is only a piece of paper that shows prove, that you are allowed to drive a car.
If your license is revoked or currently suspended, you are not allowed to drive a car in that country where the license is revoked. They don't need to take away your license, they only put your name on a list in the computer and let you know that your license is now revoked in that country.

Anyways, Germans that need a second license get it from Poland in just a couple days, sometimes hours.

Such a license is a drivers license, but only good in Germany if your German license is not supended/revoked. And I'm pretty sure that this is the same in most if not all EU countrys.

Iceman,
good point.... but I would do is that I would drive under the foreign/ Polish licence already even before my own gets eventually revoked.... I hope not.......
any idea how to get the polish one in couple of hrs???

Quick Reply: Driver's Licence - easily for non nationals ?