Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Driver's Licence - easily for non nationals ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 04:57 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

I was wondering in what non-EU country one can get a drivers licence without a permanent residency?
Like during one or two week vacations?

Of course I already have one but due to the new strict law coming I would rather be driving under some foreing drivers licence which can't be taken away

how about US, Can, Mex??? some of the islands??? Asia???

---------------EDIT-------------

as people seem not get my poit:
I want another country's licence so I can drive here in my home country.... this has nothing to do with moving or travelling.... I have my own licence with which I can already drive anywhere in the world.... BUT we have a new law coming into force soon.... and if they catch you 3 times for speeding here your own local licence is suspended for a year, which means no permit to drive!!!! so I would rather have one more licence, another one, a foreign licence ready because foreign licence can't be taken away over here, all they can do is to fine me which is ok............. I know people with various national driver's licences..... a person can have more than one country's drivers licence with no problem.... so I'm looking for a way to get any other country's drivers licence as well..... this is nothing illegal....
Old 04-15-2006, 03:53 PM
Senior Members

i guess you can get a international driver's license and drive almost everywhere. correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:41 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there such thing as International License? Who issue it? Who would accept it?
Old 04-16-2006, 01:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Originally Posted by alohalc' post='269614' date='Apr 15 2006, 06:53 PM
i guess you can get a international driver's license and drive almost everywhere. correct me if i'm wrong.
well what is your point???
mostly any country's drivers licence is international....... I can drive with my licence anywhere I want....
US guys can drive over here...... etc.....
so what was yoru point????

What I mean is that I need any other country's but my own licence so if get pulled over for some speeding they will not take it away..... simply any local government does not have the right to take and hold other's country documents.....this has nothing to do with driving....
Old 04-16-2006, 03:09 PM
Senior Members

actually it's a international driver's permit, not license. my bad . here got more details.
Old 04-16-2006, 03:21 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by alohalc' post='269941' date='Apr 16 2006, 06:09 PM
actually it's a international driver's permit, not license. my bad . here got more details.
that is something little else..... my gov issues this thing as well... it is an additional piece of paper to your drivers licence. written in many langues it is good while travelling to some very exotic countries where they might have problem understanding your regular drivers licence...... anyway....

back on topic.... where to get a proper driver's licence without being a local resident??
Old 04-16-2006, 07:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='269954' date='Apr 16 2006, 06:21 PM
that is something little else..... my gov issues this thing as well... it is an additional piece of paper to your drivers licence. written in many langues it is good while travelling to some very exotic countries where they might have problem understanding your regular drivers licence...... anyway....

back on topic.... where to get a proper driver's licence without being a local resident??
If you are not a resident or have some sort of visa for work where you will be staying an extended period, you will not be able to get a local driver's license. At least here in Louisiana and I believe most US states, it is not just a permit to drive, it is also official indentification. If you are a resident of another country visiting here, you passsport serves as that official identification. You will not be given a driver's license for a short visit. Generally you have to prove residency before a state will issue you a license...
Old 04-17-2006, 08:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='270024' date='Apr 17 2006, 11:13 AM
If you are not a resident or have some sort of visa for work where you will be staying an extended period, you will not be able to get a local driver's license. At least here in Louisiana and I believe most US states, it is not just a permit to drive, it is also official indentification. If you are a resident of another country visiting here, you passsport serves as that official identification. You will not be given a driver's license for a short visit. Generally you have to prove residency before a state will issue you a license...
I guess that pretty much work for every country in the world, they would not grant you a driver's license until you can prove that you actually live in that country.

As for the international driving permit, China is one of the country that doesn't recognize it. But as a vistior, I don't think you wanna be driving in China.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:59 AM
Contributors

there must be some way to get a foreign licence ......
how about some eastern EU countries??? I know that a lot is possible there
Old 04-17-2006, 11:26 AM
Contributors

Well, you can get an international license from your country and drive in the states.
Or, you can stop by NC and pick up an identification and I believe a license. At least that is what all the illegals do.

Quick Reply: Driver's Licence - easily for non nationals ?