Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Don Nguyen | My Porsche 911 V8 Build

Old 02-25-2013, 01:53 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don Nguyen | My Porsche 911 V8 Build

"I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself" - Ferdinand Porsche

I bought my 964 when I was 20 years old. Probably not the best financial decision at the time, but I did it anyways. I knew nothing about Porsches, but after one test drive, I knew that this 964 had to be mine. Since then, there have been several times that I have come close to selling my 964. Whether the reason was due to lack of resources or not enough time to build and restore my 964 into the car that I had hoped and imagined it would be. However, luckily, I never went through with selling my 964, as it would have probably been my single biggest automotive decision that I would have regretted making. It's now or never.

I like Porsches, I like American V8s, and I like race cars. What am I alluding to?
Well, to simply put it, I will be taking my Porsche 964 and putting a Chevy LS based engine into it with the overall end results of a streetable race car. Because what fun, really, is a car that can't be driven whenever you wanted to.

However, to me speed is only one part of the equation. The car's going to take on styling cues of a race car from the exterior, but have a relatively tolerable and factory-esque interior, aside from a few various interior race bits here and there. I like to think of it as a wolf in wolf's clothing. Sounds wrong in every way? Sounds perfect to me. Speed, handling, styling, and comfort. The best part about building a car how you want it is that there is no bad part.

Why? I will only answer this question once. Because.

No fancy tools, no fancy garage, no team of engineers. One man, one car, and countless hours spent doing research. I will be doing as much of the fabrication myself as possible, from building the engine mounts to redoing all of the leather work on the interior.

I can go into details and tell you all of my plans and ideas for the car, but what fun would that be if I told you everything upfront and didn't leave a little bit of mystery to it. As I was always taught, show, not tell. You'll just have to tune in and watch as the progress goes along.

I am not trying to build the best car in the world, but to build my perfect car, which to me makes it the best car in the world.

Smiley face,
Don Nguyen
Old 02-25-2013, 01:53 PM
Former Vendor

This is how the car looked like when I first bought it. These pictures were actually taken from the original ad that were used by the previous owner. Funny thing is, I actually did not remember saving these pictures, but I randomly happen to stumble across them the other day when looking for something else.

It took me only one week of searching to find my 964 and it took me only one more week after that before I put in an order for a set of coilovers for my car. I figured why wait to buy them, when I could buy them now and enjoy it right away.

This is ultimately what the car last looked like before I decided to put it up on jack stands and start the reconstruction process. Keep in mind, all of these pictures that I have posted thus far, including this one, are from over a span of several several years.

As of yesterday, this is how the car looked like. I actually had started taking the car apart before I decided that I would take pictures and document my build. I was never really one to start or have any detailed build threads for any of my other project cars, but I felt like this is one that I would share the process and progress as it goes along with you guys.

-Don
Old 02-25-2013, 02:07 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

looking forward to watching the progress Don =)
Old 02-25-2013, 03:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Can't wait to see the progress
Old 02-25-2013, 04:26 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F10 M5
Model Year: 2013

GET 'ER DONE!!! Good stuff Don!
Old 02-25-2013, 05:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2015 435xi GC

holy crap, this is going to be fun
Old 02-25-2013, 06:58 PM
Former Vendor

Thanks guys. I will definitely try to keep the progress and pictures going at a steady rate.

-Don
Old 02-25-2013, 09:32 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a fun project. Have fun!
Old 02-27-2013, 01:45 PM
Former Vendor

Completely took the dash apart/out and removed some more of the sound deadening/padding. I am going to try and remove as much as I can before relaying new padding down.

Not sure what would work best, so I'll take any suggestions if anyone has any experience with this. I've read/heard that closed cell foam padding was a good option.

Pile of misc parts and wires that were removed.

One of the other reasons why I wanted to go through the whole car, which was to find any rust spots that would be developing such as what I found here around the rear quarter windows.

Not sure if this was like this from the factory, but it seems like someone's removed these before and used 3M double sided tape to put these trim pieces back on. With older cars, you never know where someone before you could gone/been through before. I will most likely be using the 993 window seal for the rear quarter windows, which will delete the need for that trim piece that was removed.

I originally thought that I wanted to run 993 door panels, so I bought a set with the hi-fi sound package in them. However, I may end up just reupholstering the original 964 door panels and using those. I kind of like the pattern that's on the 964 door panels. We will see. If I do run the 993 door panels, I won't be using the hi-fi speakers, so I can get the small door pockets back

Random shots of the engine bay and car as it sits now.

-Don
Old 02-27-2013, 06:19 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

This is one ambitious build, and that's why I love it. Good luck, definitely keep us posted on the progress. This is going to be cool. The only Porsches I have ever seen with Chevy V8s are the 944's, can't wait to see this come together.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Don Nguyen | My Porsche 911 V8 Build