Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

David Beckham was fined $1,000 by MLS

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 12:28 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames' post='954219' date='Jul 25 2009, 12:41 PM
It's utterly irrelevant how much the guy gets paid. That's simply a reflection of the free market in action.

I don't blame Beckham here. None of us have to put up with douchebag "fans" shouting abuse at us when we go about our day jobs. Nor should he, irrespective of how much he earns.

He reacted how many of us may react if we were similarly provoked. Really not a big deal.

The fine was trivial because the "offence" was trivial.
Actually it is a big deal. True, his salary is irrevalant but he is a reflection of MLS and the team itself and should control himself.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by BulldogE60' post='954236' date='Jul 25 2009, 01:28 PM
Actually it is a big deal. True, his salary is irrevalant but he is a reflection of MLS and the team itself and should control himself.
His requirement to control himself is really no different to the fans who taunted him.

The reason it isn't big deal is that the whole thing is a storm in a teacup that is being blown out of proportion. It is an entire over-reaction - and that is entirely because of the person, not the actions.

Had this same episode been with a mid-pack player like Donovan, no one would have cared, there would have been little to no press coverage and no-one would have felt it worthy of a post here.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:48 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames' post='954257' date='Jul 25 2009, 01:43 PM
His requirement to control himself is really no different to the fans who taunted him.

The reason it isn't big deal is that the whole thing is a storm in a teacup that is being blown out of proportion. It is an entire over-reaction - and that is entirely because of the person, not the actions.

Had this same episode been with a mid-pack player like Donovan, no one would have cared, there would have been little to no press coverage and no-one would have felt it worthy of a post here.
True it was blown out of proportion because it was Beck although his gesture was not much, he still should have controlled himself and made a better decision as a professional athlete especially knowing how the media was going to react.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Picking a fight with a fan in the stands is trivial? Not by today's litigious standards!
Old 07-25-2009, 01:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package

Here's the footage.

Pretty clear it was the fans (and this group was from the self-proclaimed "LA Riot Squad" who purport to be "ultra-rabid" fans) and not the player who were the real instigators here.

The lady towards the end tells it best.

As I said, it's a storm in a teacup.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d

Originally Posted by swajames' post='954257' date='Jul 25 2009, 09:43 PM

No its an issue because he is meant to be at the top (not mid-pack player) of his game and reacting in the manner he did is crass. Not becoming of a football ambasador. He is highly paid and he represents his club. The fans have a right to voice their dislike and in this case it was only a few folks. What Beckham has done is shown his weakness and acted like an uneducated man. Saying that, it wont be too far off either.

As will happen, if he continues in this manner, soon most of the crowd will boo him off. Already in the next match there was more. This time a fan passing a comment about beckhams wife. Shaking hands and later voicing against the fan will only further aggrevate those paying to watch the game.

Beckham taunting a fan is out of line and so respresentative of the game here. Pity he cant bring himself to be above it.

cheers

David Beckham confronts another 'disgraceful' fan... this time for bad-mouthing wife Victoria [ Linky ]
Old 07-26-2009, 10:37 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pigapumbu' post='954592' date='Jul 26 2009, 11:06 AM
No its an issue because he is meant to be at the top (not mid-pack player) of his game and reacting in the manner he did is crass. Not becoming of a football ambasador. He is highly paid and he represents his club. The fans have a right to voice their dislike and in this case it was only a few folks. What Beckham has done is shown his weakness and acted like an uneducated man. Saying that, it wont be too far off either.

As will happen, if he continues in this manner, soon most of the crowd will boo him off. Already in the next match there was more. This time a fan passing a comment about beckhams wife. Shaking hands and later voicing against the fan will only further aggrevate those paying to watch the game.

Beckham taunting a fan is out of line and so respresentative of the game here. Pity he cant bring himself to be above it.

cheers

David Beckham confronts another 'disgraceful' fan... this time for bad-mouthing wife Victoria [ Linky ]
How much Beckham gets paid is between him, his employer and the free market. It's not relevant here. The simple fact is that he is as human as the rest of us and has the same frailties. It's easy to pontificate when you do not live the life that he and other professional sportsmen and women lead. The other simple truth is that most purveyors of the physical sports do not go on to become academics, brain surgeons or lawyers after their sporting career comes to a close. This is because, generally speaking, they are regular men and women, like us, who happen to have a phenomenal talent (unlike many of us). We can't hold someone to a higher standard than we may hold or expect of ourselves simply because they may make more money in a week than most of us make in a year. His reaction was that of a regular guy. More to the point, taunting a sportsman about his wife is off limits. His reaction there was understandable. Many of us here would probably have felt much the same way.

For those of us without his talents, it's much easier to pontificate and sit in judgment than it is to do what he does and to have to face the pressures he faces.