Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Damn Speeding ticket

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 01:14 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Black/BlacK

Today I got a 73 in a 50 on the LIE in Queens...is there anything I can do about it lol I just checked its 6 points?! and 195 fine but since its 6 points theres this new ruling that i have to pay 100 dollars every year for 3 years to the dmv! Its the first time I got a speeding ticket so would that be any use? or am I basically stuck with it
Old 01-05-2010, 01:17 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by nyceric03' post='1084696' date='Jan 5 2010, 05:14 PM
Today I got a 73 in a 50 on the LIE in Queens...is there anything I can do about it lol I just checked its 6 points?! and 195 fine but since its 6 points theres this new ruling that i have to pay 100 dollars every year for 3 years to the dmv! Its the first time I got a speeding ticket so would that be any use? or am I basically stuck with it
Your 21 and this is your first ticket...which is good. I would take it to court and see if you can reach a compromise with the judge...I am not sure if you can do this, but I did the 4 hour traffic school when I got my first ticket and it scratched the points off my record and my insurance didn't increase...

BTW, beware of the hoard of forum lawyers that will soon inhabit this thread
Old 01-05-2010, 01:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

That sounds like a big assessment of points. I would get a traffic ticket lawyer.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Black/BlacK

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='1084700' date='Jan 5 2010, 05:17 PM
Your 21 and this is your first ticket...which is good. I would take it to court and see if you can reach a compromise with the judge...I am not sure if you can do this, but I did the 4 hour traffic school when I got my first ticket and it scratched the points off my record and my insurance didn't increase...

BTW, beware of the hoard of forum lawyers that will soon inhabit this thread

lol at the lawyers joke, ehhhh its my first speeding ticket but not my first moving violation ticket...... might not work so well in my favor lol arghh i had the strangest feeling to not step on the gas then....dammit lol
Old 01-05-2010, 01:29 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by nyceric03' post='1084708' date='Jan 5 2010, 05:22 PM
i had the strangest feeling to not step on the gas then....dammit lol
Hahaha...6th sense?

Hope you get it sorted out...it helps to look up your local laws concerning speeding tickets, and you can do the traffic school online. If you decide to take it to court its a definite plus to have that certificate of completion to show the judge...(they mail it to you)
Old 01-05-2010, 01:49 PM
Contributors

IceyT'ys really helped me out when I got my ticket...check this thread: https://5series.net/forums/index.php...opic=65431&hl=
Old 01-05-2010, 09:00 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='1084705' date='Jan 5 2010, 05:21 PM
That sounds like a big assessment of points. I would get a traffic ticket lawyer.
this is the advice that I would follow....

or you could PM member Jrowe and ask him what you should do. tell him Craigm1841 sent you.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 525

this is for NYC ONLY...since everywhere else theyre more fair, NYC sucks monkey balls when it comes to the TVB (traffic violations bureau)

the stupidest thing to do is just plead guilty and pay the ticket...and the $300 DMV surcharge...and the increased insurance rates.

speeding cops are out in full force these days in NYC ever since the fall...i see them everywhere. why? well the state has a massive budget deficit, and the governor is threatening to cut the size of the police force, so of course, the cops have to increase the states revenue and show that theyre vauable so they wont get any cuts themselves. and since 90% of the people just pay the fine without even realizing theyre gonna get hammered with a surcharge by DMV, its a cash cow for the city.

in nyc you cant pleabargain...youre either guilty or youre not. no reduced fine, no leniancy. period. gotta love this city!

first thing to do is photocopy your ticket and keep it for your records. you'll need this for the future. second, get a copy of your driving record to show the lawyer/judge...if its worth bragging about of course. a lawyer costs around $400. what they do...which you can do all by yourself also if you have the time...is plead not guilty on the ticket, you get your court hearing date which will be about 6 months from now, once you get that date, wait a few days before your court hearing and go to the traffic court and delay it/push it out, try to do that a few times. note; this will end up taking over a year.
what they do, since your cant pleabargain, is basically hope for the cop to not show up, if the cop doesnt show up the 'judge' (who in NYC isnt really a judge but a traffic lawyer whos been promoted to pseudo-traffic-judge) can throw out the case if you have a stellar record, if not they will give the cop another chance to show up at a future date. if he doesnt show up for the 2nd date, then you definitelty get it thrown out.
on the date of your hearing you go to the traffic court (which will probably be at the DMV office in whitestone if you got our ticket on the LIE in queens), its best to hire a lawyer...theres plenty of them standing around the traffic court, theyll cost around $250ish. you can try to do it alone, but judges and cops tend to laugh at civilians who try to get all perry mason with them, and also the traffic lawyers are all buddy/buddy there, sotheyll know what to do. theyll try to fnd a discrepancy...either in the way the ticket was written, ask oddball questions to the cop in hopes he slips up. hopefully youll get lucky and the cop wont show. if he does show its 50/50 youll get it thrown out. oh, and look presentable, dont go in wearing sneakers and jeans....they get pissed off about things like that.

if you dont have the time or dont want to go through the hassle of setting up and cancelling court dates, then hire an attorney and they'll do it all for you. youll probably completely forget all about it by the time the final verdict is reached...it takes that long.

now the bad news, was the officer that caught you a local precinct cop (unlikely) or a highway patrol cop. if its the latter.....sorry, but youre screwed. they get paid overtime to show up to court. its what they live for. you wont be found not guilty...ever. they have this down to a science. the best you can do is delay the ticket and eventually plead guilty (you can do that online) and pay the fine and the increased insurance rates. if its a local precinct cop, congratulations, odds are they wont bother showing up to court. they have better things to do than waste half their day on traffic tickets. i know people who have gotten 4 speeding tickets in one year and they were all thrown out because the cop never showed.

now the good news, inurance companies hike your rates from the date of the offense, not the date of your conviction. so even if you get convicted, you wont pay the increased insurance rates for over a year, and since it stays on your record for 3 years thats 1/3 saved on increased rates. which, if youre 21 yrs old, can be a substantial amount.

morals of the story....
nyc is a helluva place to live.
dont speed in NYC....its just not worth it. if you get another 20+ speeding ticket in the next 18 months say bye-bye to your license.
get a good radar detector.

PS; you owe me a beer for me writing all this shit.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

[quote name='Krozi' date='Jan 5 2010, 05:49 PM' post='1084734']
IceyT'ys really helped me out when I got my ticket...check this thread: https://5series.net/forums/index.php...opic=65431&hl=
[/quote

havent seen IceyT"s in a long time..lol.. wow..

second.. thats funny..lol.. what you wrote made me laugh, although some of it is sadly true. most likely it was a highway cop, your screwed then.. but you should just pay it, then try taking that class which reduces the points on your license which in turn will help your insurance... let us know what happens.. i just went down a side street near me earlier today and was on the phone, needless to say i think they were eating or something cause i panicked and threw my cell down, but drove past and they didnt move.. so i guess they didnt see me.. good luck