Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

It could only happen in America

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 09:42 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 520i, mystic blue, steptronic, beige leather, pdc, bluetooth, rain sensor, BMW sport kit fitted, 18" 166 rep BMW rims , de-badged, cherished reg. chrome grill,

Originally Posted by MaxBuck' post='215390' date='Dec 25 2005, 01:01 AM
My pet peeve is people who forward emails of these urban legends with some self-important and indignant commentary.

As regards the Stella awards and lawsuits: sure, the world is full of ignoramuses -- most of them forward emails with urban legends in them.
Not sure who you are getting at but at least it got us all talking
Old 12-24-2005, 10:03 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

81 year-old Stella Liebeck
That fucking bitch started making America become more of a lawsuit land. I remember there was a boy in East Coast suing McDonald's for selling fast food that make him fat/overweight. The case was thrown out by the judge. Bravo!
This is why there was a case that a guy was killed when he was in a accident and nobody stop by to help him. His mother stouting why people let his son die instead of stop by and help him.
The problem in America is that if you trying to help someone and his arm/leg is broken or he/she dies, you're sued. What would you do?
Money really change human to money animal. Sad sad sad, American!
Old 12-25-2005, 01:40 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Red' post='215326
It's time once again to review the winners of the Annual "Stella Awards." The Stella Awards are named after 81 year-old Stella Liebeck of New Mexico who spilled hot coffee on herself and successfully sued McDonald's. That case inspired the Stella awards for the most frivolous, ridiculous, successful lawsuits in the United States.
Here are this year's winners: ...................
Gang--before you get too worked up, looks like urban legend stuff. Website below says this has been circulating for over 4 years...they cite the same "winners" from a 2001 email. That said, I believed it for a couple of minutes too...that it COULD happen in the good 'ole USA...so I did some more digging.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/librar...lla_awards.htm

A quick check of stellaawards.com reveals they haven't posted the 2005 awards yet, but in case I'm starting to restore your faith in the American legal system, you can read a lengthy sad story about big company's and health care companies squeezing the injured little people.

www.StellaAwards.com and follow link to "Current Issue" at bottom of page
[/quote]

This one might have been urban legend, but still with the kind of stuff we hear in the news these days I wouldn't be surprised. Seems there are a lot of incredible stories that are real that make you shake your head.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Aluminum Cube Trim, M Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, Head Up Display, Steptronic, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Through Load, Park Distance Control, Navigation , HK Logic 7, etc

yes there's plenty of urban legends out there. This one being right up there!