Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

It could only happen in America

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 10:51 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 520i, mystic blue, steptronic, beige leather, pdc, bluetooth, rain sensor, BMW sport kit fitted, 18" 166 rep BMW rims , de-badged, cherished reg. chrome grill,

It's time once again to review the winners of the Annual "Stella Awards." The Stella Awards are named after 81 year-old Stella Liebeck of New Mexico who spilled hot coffee on herself and successfully sued McDonald's. That case inspired the Stella awards for the most frivolous, ridiculous, successful lawsuits in the United States.
Here are this year's winners:

7th Place: Kathleen Robertson of Austin, Texas, was awarded $80,000 by a jury of her peers after breaking her ankle tripping over a toddler who was running inside a furniture store. The owners of the store were understandably surprised at the verdict, considering the misbehaving little toddler was Ms. Robertson's son.

6th Place: 19-year-old Carl Truman of Los Angeles won $74,000 and medical expenses when his neighbour ran over his hand with a Honda Accord. Mr. Truman apparently didn't notice there was someone at the wheel of the car when he was trying to steal his neighbour's hubcaps.

5th Place: Terrence Dickson of Bristol, Pennsylvania, was leaving a house he had just finished robbing by way of the garage. He was not able to get the garage door to go up since the automatic door opener was malfunctioning. He couldn't re-enter the house because the door connecting the house and garage locked when he pulled it shut. The family was on vacation, and Mr. Dickson found himself locked in the garage for eight days. He subsisted on a case of Pepsi he found, and a large bag of dry dog food. He sued the homeowner's insurance claiming the situation caused him undue mental anguish. The jury agreed to the tune of $500,000.

4th Place: Jerry Williams of Little Rock, Arkansas, was awarded $14,500 and medical expenses after being bitten on the buttocks by his next door neighbour's beagle. The beagle was on a chain in its owner's fenced yard. The award was less than sought because the jury felt the dog might have been just a little provoked at the time by Mr. Williams, who had climbed over the fence into the yard and was shooting it repeatedly with a pellet gun.

3rd Place: A Philadelphia restaurant was ordered to pay Amber Carson of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, $113,500 after she slipped on a soft drink and broke her coccyx (tailbone). The beverage was on the floor because Ms.Carson had thrown it at her boyfriend 30 seconds earlier during an argument.

2nd Place: Kara Walton of Claymont, Delaware, successfully sued the owner of a night club in a neighbouring city when she fell from the bathroom window to the floor and knocked out her two front teeth. This occurred while Ms.Walton was trying to sneak through the window in the ladies room to avoid paying the $3.50 cover charge. She was awarded $12,000 and dental expenses.

1st Place: This year's runaway winner was Mrs. Merv Grazinski of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Mrs. Grazinski purchased a brand new 32-foot Winnebago motor home. On her first trip home, (from an OU football game), having driven onto the freeway, she set the cruise control at 70 mph and calmly left the drivers seat to go into the back & make herself a sandwich. Not surprisingly, the RV left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Mrs.Grazinski sued Winnebago for not advising her in the owner's manual that she couldn't actually do this. The jury awarded her $1,750,000 plus a new motor home. The company actually changed their manuals on the basis of this suit, just in case there were any other complete morons around.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:55 AM
Senior Members

:thumbsdown:
Old 12-24-2005, 06:48 AM
Contributors

All the lawyers need to be taken out and shot! Repeatedly!! <_<
Old 12-24-2005, 08:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 525i Titanium Silver Metalic and 2003 325xi Jet Black with the Premium Package in both cars.

ONLY IN AMERICA
Old 12-24-2005, 08:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by Mr 5er' post='215247' date='Dec 25 2005, 01:21 AM
ONLY IN AMERICA
Old 12-24-2005, 09:26 AM
Contributors

so is it the jury or the judge that has the final say on stupid stuff like these?
you would think someone would have enough common sense during the process...
Old 12-24-2005, 10:17 AM
Senior Members

It's definitely the jury who should be shot, it's their call.

But in the jury selection process the lawyers for the defendant should have done a better job of screening out these idiots. You know the plaintiffs would want a jury pool that dumb :thumbsdown:

Originally Posted by daydok' post='215272' date='Dec 24 2005, 10:26 AM
so is it the jury or the judge that has the final say on stupid stuff like these?
you would think someone would have enough common sense during the process...
I believe if it's a small claims court with less than $5,000 involved it's the judge that makes the decision, and a quick one. A bigger law suit will have to go to an actual trial with juries involved.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

guys, this was an excellent read (and sadly plausible) but according to Snopes it's not true, it's one of their internet myths .

here's the link from Snopes

http://www.snopes.com/legal/lawsuits.asp

Sad thing is that these probably *could* have been genuine....!!!!
Old 12-24-2005, 12:29 PM
Red
Members

My Ride: MY06 530i, US Spec, Premium, Nav, HUD, Comfort seats, CWP, Sport package, Rear side airbags. Produced Sep 06.

Originally Posted by norham' post='215125' date='Dec 24 2005, 08:51 AM
It's time once again to review the winners of the Annual "Stella Awards." The Stella Awards are named after 81 year-old Stella Liebeck of New Mexico who spilled hot coffee on herself and successfully sued McDonald's. That case inspired the Stella awards for the most frivolous, ridiculous, successful lawsuits in the United States.
Here are this year's winners: ...................
Gang--before you get too worked up, looks like urban legend stuff. Website below says this has been circulating for over 4 years...they cite the same "winners" from a 2001 email. That said, I believed it for a couple of minutes too...that it COULD happen in the good 'ole USA...so I did some more digging.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/librar...lla_awards.htm

A quick check of stellaawards.com reveals they haven't posted the 2005 awards yet, but in case I'm starting to restore your faith in the American legal system, you can read a lengthy sad story about big company's and health care companies squeezing the injured little people.

www.StellaAwards.com and follow link to "Current Issue" at bottom of page
Old 12-24-2005, 04:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Arrived 3 June 2005: 2005 545i - Orient Blue, Black interior, Sport, Steptronic, Cold Weather, NAV, Sirius, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Sunshades. What a glorious ride!

My pet peeve is people who forward emails of these urban legends with some self-important and indignant commentary.

As regards the Stella awards and lawsuits: sure, the world is full of ignoramuses -- most of them forward emails with urban legends in them.

Quick Reply: It could only happen in America