Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Considering a new car

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010 | 09:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by DD_545i
Absolutely I would.

The conversation went something like this...

Me: We don't need two cars, why don't you sell your Golf 6 and I'll sell my 545 and we can get a nice 4WD Kia Sportage and have just one car.

Her: You don't suit cheap crappy cars like that. I won't drive it and I won't be a passenger in it. The idea of only having one car is good, but only if it's something like a Porsche 911 Turbo convertible or at least a Boxster S.

I've turned her into a petrolhead with all my cars in the past. Never once do I recall her ever saying slow down on the Autobahn
she sounds like a "keeper" Even though my wife is a cheapass, she HATES to spend $$$$ - she would never let me buy a Kia or Hyundai, especially not at the expense of my 5er
Old 08-30-2010 | 09:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I don't know much about Kias and Hyundais - never had any personal experience with either (yet? ), but a friend of mine bought a brand new Suzuki Kizashi about a week and a half ago, and I've gotta say: the thing drives REALLY REALLY AWESOME. Yes, REALLY. I haven't been able to really squeeze any serious juices out of it on the account of my friend being extremely careful with his new ride - he's taking the whole break-in period to heart, since he owns the car and he tends to keep his cars for at least 7-9 years. My initial impressions - the car is built better than a Honda could be if they used Lexus materials. The suspension truly rivals a 3 series and I would even say blows away Audi's. Yes, that good. The steering is direct, a little less communicative than my E60's. The car stays relatively flat through turns and I have not noticed any jarring from the suspension. The interior is awesome, just not luxury - which I don't mind, since it has all the toys you need: bluetooth, mp3/USB port, keyless go (standard, btw ) etc etc. The one sort of gripe is the CVT transmission, which can feel fake - it has these sort of "shift points" and you just know you can get so much more out of the little four-banger. Ironically, they only offer the AWD with a CVT - probably a regulatory/eco-friendly status/mpg-conscious thing. Felt about the same size interior space-wise inside as my E60. Front and rear seats. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong, but that is such a sweet little sleeper - even I thought about it for a second...

and then I saw this the next morning:
Attached Thumbnails Considering a new car-photo.jpg  
Old 08-30-2010 | 11:53 PM
Contributors

Hate hate hate CVTs. Had to drive a Nissan with one, it was like some ghost was constantly pushing the clutch pedal in and fighting the power. As a concept, having to never change gear, I don't hate it. As an implementation from the japanese manufacturers at least, it totally sucks. I think Audi have a system like that too but I never tried it. I doubt it's as bad as Nissan's.
Old 08-31-2010 | 05:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

The Suzuki one seemed better than the Nissans I've drive. Much better - more direct and didn't have that huge delay. That said, it did feel like a CVT, no doubt...
Old 09-03-2010 | 10:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

At least if you get the Kia you can pretend you have a Ferrari: They BOTH catch fire
HAHAHAHAHAHA