Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Considering a new car

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 02:08 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am I (a) getting old, (b) losing it, (c) just plain dumb, or (d) all of the above?

I could trade in my (unfinanced) 545 and it'd completely cover the cost of a new Kia Sportage AWD which has everything as standard. It doesn't look super sexy, but in black with tinted windows it looks perfectly reasonable. Gonna go visit the dealer tomorrow. I may walk straight back out in disgust on how cheap it feels. Hopefully not.

I'm quite liking the 7 year 100,000 mile warranty (10 years in the U.S.) and the high driving position. I hardly ever get to drive over 100mph so I'm not exactly going to miss the high speed driving I'd lose out on.

Even if at the end of the 7 years it's worth zero, it's still low in terms of actual $$ depreciation. I know the BMW would still be worth a good few thousand if I kept that for 7 more years, but I doubt I'd make it another 7 years without having to spend a good few thousand in maintenance and servicing. No such concerns with the Kia.

Maybe I need to have a blast on the Autobahn tomorrow to nuke such crazy ideas out of my head
Old 08-29-2010, 02:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Nothing wrong with a Kia. The (almost) mechanically identical Hyundai Tucson is maybe a little nicer looking at the rear, but it is tough to argue with a 100K warranty. Hyundai is making some very good cars these days, and its current Hyundai/Kia lineup is much better than many people credit. The Kia doesn't score as well as the Hyundai models in the JD Power ratings, though.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:21 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames
Nothing wrong with a Kia. The (almost) mechanically identical Hyundai Tucson is maybe a little nicer looking at the rear, but it is tough to argue with a 100K warranty. Hyundai is making some very good cars these days, and its current Hyundai/Kia lineup is much better than many people credit. The Kia doesn't score as well as the Hyundai models in the JD Power ratings, though.
Interesting. It does look a little better in the rear area, although all in black with tinted windows, the differences aren't as noticeable as in brighter colours. The Hyundai ix35 (which is what they call the Tucson over here) does remind me too much of a Lexus RX which I really really don't like.

I just compared the two and see the Kia scores slightly better on price and fuel consumption, but is way out in front on the warranty. Although in the states they're equal, both offering a 10 year 100K warranty. Over on this side of the pond, the Hyundai lags behind offering only a 5 year warranty. I just pointed out to Hyundai (via website feedback) that their claim of having the best warranty available in the UK to be quite false.

It's also quite handy that we have a Kia dealer only 400yds from our house. Way more convenient for servicing than what I have to do currently when the BMW needs to be "in the shop".

I am going to add a visit to Hyundai to my plans for today though, it's pretty close and when I point out the warranty they might tell me of plans to match Kia's coming soon.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Sport Package, Black/Grey. Got it July 09.
Model Year: 2004

I say (D) All of the above.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:03 AM
Contributors

Amazing how similar the Kia Sportage and Hyundai Tucson/iX35 are inside and out. I quite liked sitting in the Sportage - felt nice. Loved the high seating position. Like that I'd be getting new features like Bluetooth and USB-MP3. That 7-year warranty is amazing though. Reviewing the brochures and will see about a test-drive at the weekend.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:04 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Kia really seems to have some decent cars these days...
Old 08-30-2010, 08:13 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Krozi
Kia really seems to have some decent cars these days...
Apparently I'm being stupid thinking about buying a crappy car like that and I wouldn't suit anything other than a BMW, Porsche or select Audis.

Well that's me told. I'd be driving by myself all the time if I got a Kia or Hyundai. Whipped much ?
Old 08-30-2010, 08:15 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

If you trade in the 545i....I do think you would miss it...
Old 08-30-2010, 08:26 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Krozi
If you trade in the 545i....I do think you would miss it...
Absolutely I would.

The conversation went something like this...

Me: We don't need two cars, why don't you sell your Golf 6 and I'll sell my 545 and we can get a nice 4WD Kia Sportage and have just one car.

Her: You don't suit cheap crappy cars like that. I won't drive it and I won't be a passenger in it. The idea of only having one car is good, but only if it's something like a Porsche 911 Turbo convertible or at least a Boxster S.

I've turned her into a petrolhead with all my cars in the past. Never once do I recall her ever saying slow down on the Autobahn
Old 08-30-2010, 08:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by DD_545i
Absolutely I would.

The conversation went something like this...

Me: We don't need two cars, why don't you sell your Golf 6 and I'll sell my 545 and we can get a nice 4WD Kia Sportage and have just one car.

Her: You don't suit cheap crappy cars like that. I won't drive it and I won't be a passenger in it. The idea of only having one car is good, but only if it's something like a Porsche 911 Turbo convertible or at least a Boxster S.

I've turned her into a petrolhead with all my cars in the past. Never once do I recall her ever saying slow down on the Autobahn

Now that you gave us more background of your story, I'd say "D" is my answer to your 1st question.

Quick Reply: Considering a new car