Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

College kid

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 08:51 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550i sport pak. all the other goodies.. MODS: M5 front, sides, aFe throttle body spacer, RPI Red scoop, amber angle eyes, powder coated sport rims, tinted tail lights. smoked side blinkers, color of car and rims roundels, real carbon fiber roof spoiler, 550i number flat black, LED license plate lights, MTX 12' sub, dyno mat, tinted Windows, flat black grill, flat black exhaust tips, light smoke headlight tint, foged out eyelash, velocity booster.

Soo first semester of college.. not feelin it so much .. i never really did that well in high school.. im not a "book smart" guy.. more street smart.. i just dont see the point in learning a bunch of blah blah blah...and it really never makes any since... cars are pretty much the only thing i understand and can pay attention to or really care about .. im so lost on what i can do for a living..and the parents dont understand that i understand cars more then school dose any one have any stories like this??
Old 10-09-2011, 02:13 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Baggman
Soo first semester of college.. not feelin it so much .. i never really did that well in high school.. im not a "book smart" guy.. more street smart.. i just dont see the point in learning a bunch of blah blah blah...and it really never makes any since... cars are pretty much the only thing i understand and can pay attention to or really care about .. im so lost on what i can do for a living..and the parents dont understand that i understand cars more then school dose any one have any stories like this??
School probably doesn't hurt as long as it doesn't get in the way of allowing you pursue what you are passionate about. Follow your heart and you'll either learn from your mistakes, discover something great, or both. It is my opinion that the best "job" you'll ever have is one that you love, so stick with what you love and be the best at it. An opportunity is bound to pop up eventually.

I wasn't that good in school either- hell, I didn't complete high school or even get a GED, though that primarily had to do with my motivation to work a full time job (to pay for food and rent) and go to school, so I guess I can sort of relate to you on not doing that well in high school. Like you I had a passion that I was unsure how to turn into a career. Instead of getting discouraged, I just stuck with it and got really good at it. Becoming really good at it is what opened the door to turning my hobby into a career.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i sport pak. all the other goodies.. MODS: M5 front, sides, aFe throttle body spacer, RPI Red scoop, amber angle eyes, powder coated sport rims, tinted tail lights. smoked side blinkers, color of car and rims roundels, real carbon fiber roof spoiler, 550i number flat black, LED license plate lights, MTX 12' sub, dyno mat, tinted Windows, flat black grill, flat black exhaust tips, light smoke headlight tint, foged out eyelash, velocity booster.

Originally Posted by west
School probably doesn't hurt as long as it doesn't get in the way of allowing you pursue what you are passionate about. Follow your heart and you'll either learn from your mistakes, discover something great, or both. It is my opinion that the best "job" you'll ever have is one that you love, so stick with what you love and be the best at it. An opportunity is bound to pop up eventually.

I wasn't that good in school either- hell, I didn't complete high school or even get a GED, though that primarily had to do with my motivation to work a full time job (to pay for food and rent) and go to school, so I guess I can sort of relate to you on not doing that well in high school. Like you I had a passion that I was unsure how to turn into a career. Instead of getting discouraged, I just stuck with it and got really good at it. Becoming really good at it is what opened the door to turning my hobby into a career.
thanks man.. how did you turn your passion in to a career?... if you dont mind me asking!!! was your hobby cars?
Old 10-09-2011, 09:45 AM
Contributors

eh. delete.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:46 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by craigm1841
eh. delete.
DOUCHE BAG.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '10 Switzer "Ultimate Street Edition" GT-R

Originally Posted by craigm1841
eh. delete.
I know exactly what you were going to write!
Old 10-10-2011, 09:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i

Originally Posted by skeeter
I know exactly what you were going to write!
something about learning how to spell or using the correct word?
Old 10-20-2011, 05:59 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by Baggman

I'm bored as hell so even though this thread is two weeks old, I'll bite.

If you don't want to learn how to use your head then learn how to use your hands! Are you good with cars? Then go to a vo-tech school and learn how to fix engines or do body work. Then catch on as a mechanic (maybe even with BMW) and get trained on their latest technology.

I highly recommed you stay in college and get a degree in SOMETHING - even if its Liberal Arts or General Studies - especially if you are fortunate enough to have mom and dad helping you. It may be a stretch, but have you thought about being an engineer so instead of just working on cars you can actually help create them?

You are going to reach a point in life where paying the bills and taking care of your family becomes the most important thing. When this happens, hopefully the career decisions you made will help you out. This is, in part, why your parents don't understand you. Good Luck!
Old 10-20-2011, 11:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by pukka
I'm bored as hell so even though this thread is two weeks old, I'll bite.

If you don't want to learn how to use your head then learn how to use your hands! Are you good with cars? Then go to a vo-tech school and learn how to fix engines or do body work. Then catch on as a mechanic (maybe even with BMW) and get trained on their latest technology.

I highly recommed you stay in college and get a degree in SOMETHING - even if its Liberal Arts or General Studies - especially if you are fortunate enough to have mom and dad helping you. It may be a stretch, but have you thought about being an engineer so instead of just working on cars you can actually help create them?

You are going to reach a point in life where paying the bills and taking care of your family becomes the most important thing. When this happens, hopefully the career decisions you made will help you out. This is, in part, why your parents don't understand you. Good Luck!
While I agree with your first suggestion (Voc school) I disagree with the sticking with college suggestion. Let's face reality, man. College is not for everyone. Either you want to go to college or you don't. A liberal arts degree is a colossal waste of his parents money, IMHO. The money would be better spent on a training certificate. The OP stated that he never did well in school, and being an engineer myself, I assure you that an engineering degree is not in his cards. To be an effective engineer, you have to have a solid foundation in trig, calculus, physics, etc. and in addition he needs to be highly analytical and detail oriented. I'm not saying that he does not have that foundation, but I think he implied it.

In the new world order, there are plenty of career opportunities that do not require a college degree. If all he thinks about is cars, he could start by getting the certificate you mentioned, or he could look into becoming a professional tester, or even drive cars for a BMW dealer. He could work at a parts store, he could work at a detailing shop, he could learn how to work on car bodies as in repairing a car after an accident. Those are all good jobs that could lead to owning his own business, as he matures.

As I said, one shoe does not fit all, and we should not make people feel inadequate if they don't think college is for them. Go ahead, Original Poster; follow your dreams. I know it's confusing, but things will eventually fall into place. Good luck!
Old 10-20-2011, 12:38 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

^^^ Agree to disagree then Although Liberal Arts was a bad example.

Quick Reply: College kid