Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Choosing a Vacation spot

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 11:55 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

So its been a long time since I've been on vacation. I'm undecided where I wanna go, I'm gonna go with a family member. Haven't really been to many places in the US. I wanna go somewhere that has very good scenery, nice weather. I'm gonna plan on going in September. I've been thinking of Colorado somewhere, Canada, I'd really like to go thru New England somewhere, but I don't know of a good city in New England, most of them I've never heard of. I figure alot of you guys have traveled and could recommend some good places. I'm not going to Vegas, so don't suggest that. I'll probably be gone 6 or 7 days. What would you guys/gals recommend?
Old 07-12-2009, 12:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i Monaco blue/cream beige, light poplar trim, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed manual My other rides: Departed: 2006 530xi Silver gray/black, anthracite maple trim, cold, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed steptronic, bluetooth, adaptive xenons Departed...2002 525i White/beige, 5 sp manual

Colorado in September, definitely! Time it carefully to catch the Aspens at their peak (you may need some flexibility and a connection out there to help with that). Usually last week of September, first couple weeks of October are a good bet though, and the weather will be nice and cool by then. What do you like to do?
Old 07-12-2009, 12:09 PM
Senior Members

New England in late September is nice (early if you are further north). Colorado is great that time of year too. I can't speak for Canada but the Pacific NW is nice in early september but I would suggest August since you're almost guaranteed nice weather. What do you want to do? City life, outdoor activities or kick back and watch the scenery?
Old 07-12-2009, 12:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='940194' date='Jul 12 2009, 03:09 PM
New England in late September is nice (early if you are further north). Colorado is great that time of year too. I can't speak for Canada but the Pacific NW is nice in early september but I would suggest August since you're almost guaranteed nice weather. What do you want to do? City life, outdoor activities or kick back and watch the scenery?
Looking to do a bit of everything, mostly outdoor, wanna have some nice driving, gonna rent a car, do photography too.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i Monaco blue/cream beige, light poplar trim, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed manual My other rides: Departed: 2006 530xi Silver gray/black, anthracite maple trim, cold, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed steptronic, bluetooth, adaptive xenons Departed...2002 525i White/beige, 5 sp manual

Perhaps the only downside to Colorado for outdoor activities this time of year is hunting season....but really shouldn't limit you that much. Do you fish?
Old 07-12-2009, 12:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

There are lots of places with incredible scenery. Haven't been to too many in September though. Here are thoughts from places I've been:
1. Denver, Colorado Rockies, Denver has good big city attractions (zoo, nat hist museum). Boulder area is incredible as is Trail Ridge Rd thru Rocky Mtn NP. Might be snow in Sept at 12k. At Mt Evans you can drive to over 14k. Pikes Peak too but its dirt. I here I-70 is a great drive.
2. Grand Canyon, a MUST DO in your life. Plan to hike some. Don't forget its tougher to climb back out. See more than the main overlook and different times of the day. Lots of other nearby sights & drives (Humphries & Agassi Peaks, Meteor Crator, Sedona, Oak Creek Canyon, Monument Valley in So Utah, & Hoover Dam towards Vegas).
3. Yosemite National Park is incredible but do it late spring, early summer for better waterfalls.
4. Canadian Rockies, incredible scenery in every direction, Banff, Lake Louise, & Icefields Parkway are world famous attractions.
5. Blue Ridge Parkway (VA & NC), a great drive, Sept would be great weather but too early for leaves turning, Asheville & the Biltmore Estate are big attractions, as is the Great Smokies NP & Gatlinburg, TN at the southern end. Plus the Tail of the Dragon is nearby. We are doing Gatlinburg & the TOD in October. The BMW plant in Spartanburg, SC is also a day trip from this area.
6. South Eastern beaches, much less crowded in Sept, but still nice weather. Choose from the unspoiled NC Outer Banks, deep sea fishing off Moorehead City/Beaufort NC, touristy Myrtle Beach SC, fancy Hilton Head SC, or historic Charleston SC.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:34 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 55 525D Sport Full Black Leather Visibility Pack Media Pack

oops
Old 07-12-2009, 01:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

My personal favorite US trip that combines city life, great driving and great scenery is a trip from the Central California coast up to the win country of Napa/Sonoma with a stop in San Francisco.

The itinerary that I like for this trip is:

1. Fly to San Francisco or San Jose airports and drive to te Monterey Pennisula.

2. Spend time exploring Carmel by the Sea, Monterey and the Monterey Bay acquarium.

3. Next, drive down the ultimate twisty road with the most amazing views in the country IMHO: the Pacific Coast Highway from Carmel south to Cambria California. Stop for lunch at Nepanthe in Big Sur. This section is about 120 miles of non-stop twisties perched high above the Pacific Ocean on cliffs. Since you are driving south, you will be on the edge of the cliffs the whole way down. Woo hoo! Driving does not get any better than this.

4. In Cambria, stay at the J. Patrick House, one of the 2 top-rated Bed and Breakfasts In town. Vicky and I loved it.

5. Use Cambria as your base for 1-2 days of fun. Spend one day touring Hearst Castle. Spend another day in the wine country in this part of Cetral California. The wineries in the Cambria/Paso Robles area are awesome and not touristy or overcrowed.

6. Next drive all the way north to San Francisco. The pretty drive with twistieis is to go back up the Pacific Coast Highway past the Monterey Peninsula all the way to San Francisco. Taking the Pacific Coast Highway is the slow but beautiful way to drive. If you have time, stop at Half Moon Bay and spend a night at the Ritz Carlton there. The resort is amazing with beautiful views, great food and great golf and tennis. Half Moon Bay is a great place to go Whale Watching although as I recall, September is not the time to do it as the whales are not there then.

7. The fast way to drive from the Cambria/Paso Robles area is up Route 101 North. This is not a scenic way but you can get to SF to 4-5 hours. If you go this way, you may want to stop in Palo Alto and take in the town and the beautiful campus of Stanford University.

8. Once in San Francisco, I'd spent 3 days. I love SF and have traveled there many times. It's a great city and there is tons to see and do. PM me if you're going and I can given yo my favorite things to do there.

9. Next drive up to the wine country of Napa and Sonoma Counties. The wineries and the restaurants here are amazing . My two favorite restaurants are the Girl and the Fig in Sonoma and the restaurant at Auberge de Soleil in Napa Valley off of Rutherford Hill Road. My wife and I have gone to Napa and Sonoma many times and if you are going, PM me and I will give you our favorites wineries we visited on both Napa and Sonoma.

10. When in Napa and Sonoma, take one of my all time favorite twisty roads -- the Oakville Grade. The road connects Napa and Sonoma Valleys by going up and over the mountain range separating them. The road is little known to tourists and it is harrowing. It's a blast to drive.

As far as cars go, if you are renting from one of the big companies, fly into San Francisco and rent a car from Hertz's prestige collection. The Corvette ZHZ is my favorite rental car as its power is breathtaking at 436 bhp. But if you wanyt a more comfortable car that handles really well, has a trunk is fast and will not cost you and arm and a leg, rent the Infiniti G37. We rented a G35 for this trip and is was a great drive on the twisties.

Wherever you go, have fun!! September is a great month to travel.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='940246' date='Jul 12 2009, 02:41 PM
My personal favorite US trip that combines city life, great driving and great scenery is a trip from the Central California coast up to the win country of Napa/Sonoma with a stop in San Francisco.

The itinerary that I like for this trip is:

1. Fly to San Francisco or San Jose airports and drive to te Monterey Pennisula.

2. Spend time exploring Carmel by the Sea, Monterey and the Monterey Bay acquarium.

3. Next, drive down the ultimate twisty road with the most amazing views in the country IMHO: the Pacific Coast Highway from Carmel south to Cambria California. Stop for lunch at Nepanthe in Big Sur. This section is about 120 miles of non-stop twisties perched high above the Pacific Ocean on cliffs. Since you are driving south, you will be on the edge of the cliffs the whole way down. Woo hoo! Driving does not get any better than this.

4. In Cambria, stay at the J. Patrick House, one of the 2 top-rated Bed and Breakfasts In town. Vicky and I loved it.

5. Use Cambria as your base for 1-2 days of fun. Spend one day touring Hearst Castle. Spend another day in the wine country in this part of Cetral California. The wineries in the Cambria/Paso Robles area are awesome and not touristy or overcrowed.

6. Next drive all the way north to San Francisco. The pretty drive with twistieis is to go back up the Pacific Coast Highway past the Monterey Peninsula all the way to San Francisco. Taking the Pacific Coast Highway is the slow but beautiful way to drive. If you have time, stop at Half Moon Bay and spend a night at the Ritz Carlton there. The resort is amazing with beautiful views, great food and great golf and tennis. Half Moon Bay is a great place to go Whale Watching although as I recall, September is not the time to do it as the whales are not there then.

7. The fast way to drive from the Cambria/Paso Robles area is up Route 101 North. This is not a scenic way but you can get to SF to 4-5 hours. If you go this way, you may want to stop in Palo Alto and take in the town and the beautiful campus of Stanford University.

8. Once in San Francisco, I'd spent 3 days. I love SF and have traveled there many times. It's a great city and there is tons to see and do. PM me if you're going and I can given yo my favorite things to do there.

9. Next drive up to the wine country of Napa and Sonoma Counties. The wineries and the restaurants here are amazing . My two favorite restaurants are the Girl and the Fig in Sonoma and the restaurant at Auberge de Soleil in Napa Valley off of Rutherford Hill Road. My wife and I have gone to Napa and Sonoma many times and if you are going, PM me and I will give you our favorites wineries we visited on both Napa and Sonoma.

10. When in Napa and Sonoma, take one of my all time favorite twisty roads -- the Oakville Grade. The road connects Napa and Sonoma Valleys by going up and over the mountain range separating them. The road is little known to tourists and it is harrowing. It's a blast to drive.

As far as cars go, if you are renting from one of the big companies, fly into San Francisco and rent a car from Hertz's prestige collection. The Corvette ZHZ is my favorite rental car as its power is breathtaking at 436 bhp. But if you wanyt a more comfortable car that handles really well, has a trunk is fast and will not cost you and arm and a leg, rent the Infiniti G37. We rented a G35 for this trip and is was a great drive on the twisties.

Wherever you go, have fun!! September is a great month to travel.
That's a close to perfect itinerary for a driving vacation in California!
Old 07-12-2009, 02:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by swajames' post='940257' date='Jul 12 2009, 05:49 PM
That's a close to perfect itinerary for a driving vacation in California!
We just love that trip..

Quick Reply: Choosing a Vacation spot