Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Career Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 10:44 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Yo man, Like everyone says^ do what u love. I played in bands for years , underground hardcore punk scene, jammed threw hella parties played a ton of shows ... Etc when I was 15 I put out my first vinyl record, 15 years later and i still haven't felt like I've worked a day in my life... I just bought a 750k house in tahoe and I can honestly say I'm astonished I made it this far w no end in sight god bless the dissasociated youth and they're parents credit card

skele
Old 10-19-2009, 10:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='1036364' date='Oct 19 2009, 11:07 PM
Just go to school and stop with these thoughts "should I do this?" "should I do that?" every second of your hesitation is a second lost from your life - when you choose something, stick to it. When you leave it behind, don't look back. Always look where you'll go next, never say never. And most importantly, DON'T LISTEN TO ANYONE!!! Or you might actually do something right every now and then Am I confusing you yet? If so, good! Now go forth and be all that you can be

Next case, please
Aahahaha TFF ur such a dick V
Old 10-19-2009, 11:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530d M Sport Automatic, Le Mans Edition.Le Mans Blue Individual Paint Special, Syrah Blue Individual Leather, Piano Black Individual Interior Trim, Front seat heating,M Double Spoke 172 19

Originally Posted by augustrush42' post='1035416' date='Oct 18 2009, 11:46 PM
What do you guys do for a living? What do you like about it? What do you do on a daily basis? What did you go to school for? What degrees do you have? Feel free to include any other info you'd like Please, only serious people.. im really lost as of now.
I chose electronic engineering because of a hobby, I built my first crystal-set before I was in my teens ,then a one-valve radio and so on.I went to school because you had no other choice!Seriously,my later options were mathematics,physics and engineering drawing before doing an electrical engineerig degree at university.I spent many years in a research and development organisation designing electronic instrumentation for use in hazardous atmospheres.Each new project was a challenge especially with the speed at which electronics was changing (valves > transistors > semiconductors > microchips, etc).International committee membership meant foreign travel.
A degree will open more doors for you but don't worry about what job to go for at this stage ,most graduates move around in their early years,and career changes are an option.If you can,get work experience each summer,it may be low pay but it's worth it.My summer jobs included sheet metal fabrication,clay pipe manufacture,timber products manufacture and farm work.Nothing to do with my chosen career,but good experience of life.
Just one piece of advice,do not stay in a job that you hate just because the money is so good!
Old 10-19-2009, 11:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i Sport Package, Titanium Gray II Metallic, Wheel Style 124

Originally Posted by DD_545i' post='1035666' date='Oct 19 2009, 07:32 AM
Yup. Some famous person (who I can't be bothered to google right now) said if you find a job doing something you love, then you'll never spend a day working for the rest of your life.

When I was 15 I was building electronic devices and eventually a home computer (from the individual components in a kit, it was a Sinclair ZX81) and I loved it. Once I got it working, I'd spend hours programming it to do interesting stuff.

I started studying electronics, planning to be an electronics engineer. It was only while on an intern placement type thing that I met a guy (with a gold Porsche 911 and a 17 bedroom mansion) who told me he was a contract software engineer, that I knew what I really wanted to do. At that time I never imagined a career in programming, it was just a hobby.

Like pjinca said though, it's quite common to find people in the IT industry who didn't study it. They just discovered they had the natural afinity with it. I know people in this biz who've studied Architeture, Fine Art & Theatre (yes really), and one who was from age 16-32 a professional cricket player.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by DD_545i' post='1036367
Aahahaha TFF ur such a dick V
Go fvck yourself, err... I?
Old 10-19-2009, 11:52 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='1036416' date='Oct 20 2009, 09:24 AM
Do you seriously think the world would be in as bad a shape as it is now if I actually was the presidential advisor?!?!
It's hard to see how it could be worse. At least you approve of sending titties day
Old 10-20-2009, 01:29 AM
Members

As with others here, I'm impressed that you're even asking this question.... most of the 19yo's I know are still running around thinking the world owes THEM a living...

I agree with most of the other comments and would just refine a little of what has been said here with what worked for me....

Have a knack with mechanical things and wanted to see the world so joined the Navy @ 15yo as a Marine Engineer. Worked out that although you might be was good at it, the lack of mental stimulation/challenge and the fact that no matter how high you climbed the ladder some @@@$^ was going to s%$$ on you from a great height meant a couple of years of discipline and travel was about it. Went and joined the Australian Federal Police (like FBI) and had a blast. Mentally challenging and lots of action, but you deal with such scum on a daily basis you tend to hang only with other coppers who understand some of the risks you take, and you end up a cynic. So you walk away before you become one.

Fell into working as a sales rep and learned about wholesale, started a business and over many years learned about retail, sold up to work for free for a large property developer whilst learning his methods, started my own development company, added a Building Company and am now adding a manufacturing company. Each of the companies are based on the skill sets/experience in negotiating situations gained over the years in different fields.

All of the above is purely to say that you can try what you are good at but don't view it as any deeper than an experience to be gained for your later life abilities and career (unless you find your calling in the process).... when you will really begin to propel your earning/asset levels....

There is a saying (and I don't know it word for word) but it goes like "you don't need to be able to see the whole way to LA to know how to get there" in other words just plan the first 250 miles....

Cheers

J