Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Career Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 07:46 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, as some of you may know, im 19 and in college. My plan was (until recently) to major in political science and follow up with law school. I no longer want to pursue this though. I cant however, come up with anything that I would like to do for the rest of my life :S Ive researched finance, marketing, business, law, medical stuff and everything else you can think of and nothing really calls for me. Ive always wanted to do something in criminal justice like FBI or CIA but ive also been thinking about broadcast journalism and working on tv. I know.. completely different things. Anyways, i need some guidance from you guys seeing as most of you are older and already have careers. What do you guys do for a living? What do you like about it? What do you do on a daily basis? What did you go to school for? What degrees do you have? Feel free to include any other info you'd like Please, only serious people.. im really lost as of now.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:20 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

I design and troubleshoot Enterprise networks. I like it, nothing has ever made me whisper "switches" in my sleep (yes, I literally do that when I am working on a frustrating problem). My degree? Business, remember there are many, many people who have careers completely contrary to their degrees - one of the better network engineers I have met was an Economics major out of Fordham I also hold most networking certifications and a PMP (project management not PIMP )
Old 10-19-2009, 06:10 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by augustrush42' post='1035416' date='Oct 19 2009, 05:46 AM
ive also been thinking about broadcast journalism and working on tv.
Sounds like fun compared to your other options.

I'd try that.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:12 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='1035439' date='Oct 19 2009, 06:20 AM
... and a PMP (project management not PIMP )

Looks like we have found your new nickname.

pjPIMPinca

Old 10-19-2009, 06:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i Black/ Smoked LED side markers/ CF kidney Grille/ Shadowline Trim/Miro 346 V2/General Exclaim 19"/CF Badges/H&R Sport Springs/ Koni FSD shocks/struts/R1 Concepts Drilled & Slotted Rotors/ Hawk Pads/ Mtec V2 lights/

Maybe go back to the drawing board... what do you trully enjoy? Narrow the giant scope of careers to maybe just fields of occupation. Just an idea, gl
Old 10-19-2009, 06:21 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='1035649' date='Oct 19 2009, 07:12 AM
Looks like we have found your new nickname.

pjPIMPinca

Oh yeah, nothing more PIMP than married with 2 kids - right Iceman?
Old 10-19-2009, 06:32 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by gbaty0001' post='1035655' date='Oct 19 2009, 04:19 PM
Maybe go back to the drawing board... what do you trully enjoy? Narrow the giant scope of careers to maybe just fields of occupation. Just an idea, gl
Yup. Some famous person (who I can't be bothered to google right now) said if you find a job doing something you love, then you'll never spend a day working for the rest of your life.

When I was 15 I was building electronic devices and eventually a home computer (from the individual components in a kit, it was a Sinclair ZX81) and I loved it. Once I got it working, I'd spend hours programming it to do interesting stuff.

I started studying electronics, planning to be an electronics engineer. It was only while on an intern placement type thing that I met a guy (with a gold Porsche 911 and a 17 bedroom mansion) who told me he was a contract software engineer, that I knew what I really wanted to do. At that time I never imagined a career in programming, it was just a hobby.

Like pjinca said though, it's quite common to find people in the IT industry who didn't study it. They just discovered they had the natural afinity with it. I know people in this biz who've studied Architeture, Fine Art & Theatre (yes really), and one who was from age 16-32 a professional cricket player.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport, ti silver/gray, CWP, Logic 7, PDC, Nav, elec shade, lumbar, FDRS 2000 Honda CBR 929 1999 Lexus GS400, Nakamichi

Originally Posted by augustrush42' post='1035416' date='Oct 18 2009, 11:46 PM
Alright, as some of you may know, im 19 and in college. My plan was (until recently) to major in political science and follow up with law school. I no longer want to pursue this though. I cant however, come up with anything that I would like to do for the rest of my life :S Ive researched finance, marketing, business, law, medical stuff and everything else you can think of and nothing really calls for me. Ive always wanted to do something in criminal justice like FBI or CIA but ive also been thinking about broadcast journalism and working on tv. I know.. completely different things. Anyways, i need some guidance from you guys seeing as most of you are older and already have careers. What do you guys do for a living? What do you like about it? What do you do on a daily basis? What did you go to school for? What degrees do you have? Feel free to include any other info you'd like Please, only serious people.. im really lost as of now.
How is it at age 19 you are able to own and maintain your BMW while attending school? Your present circumstances may be a clue to your future.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:22 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by augustrush42' post='1035416' date='Oct 18 2009, 11:46 PM
Have you considered forensic science? My current job supports these career types and it is a very interesting field. It's not necessarilly in Criminal Justice, but Engineering is another (chemical, aeronautical) good field.

There is nothing wrong with being undecided as long as you don't stop going to school. I'd recommend getting an Associates in General Studies and then pursuing a Bachelors when you finally figure out what you want to do.

PM me if you want to know more about my degrees (I hold 3), certifications, or military training.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:08 AM
Members

Originally Posted by goodman' post='1035681' date='Oct 19 2009, 11:02 AM
How is it at age 19 you are able to own and maintain your BMW while attending school? Your present circumstances may be a clue to your future.
What is that supposed to mean? My car is paid off and to this day, ive been lucky enough not have to do any major repairs. How is it a clue to my future? What are you implying? I swear people here tend to be dense at times.

I like the responses guys, keep em coming

Quick Reply: Career Advice?