Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Bust for Verizon Iphone 4 launch

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 11:13 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
An interesting story, but I think BGR are making a number of extrapolations and logical leaps based on extremely limited data.

Before one could even begin to judge whether the actual sales numbers - from just five Apple stores - constituted good or mediocre results you'd need access to a significant amount of extra data.

For example:

How many units were in stock?
Did all of the available units sell out?
What were the expected sales numbers?
How did the Apple store sales numbers compare to AT&T and VZW sales numbers in the same locations?
How did the AT&T numbers look prior to the CDMA launch?

All of these - and more - would be needed to draw any remotely meaningful conclusions. As it stands, all we can see is that the VZW device outsold the AT&T device - something that let us not forget is still very much in demand - by around 30 to 40 percent. I'd guess VZW is far from unhappy with these numbers. You also need to remember that the VZW presale did not suffer from the the glitches that plagued the AT&T launch.

About the only reliable data point we've seen to date is Verizon's press release that confirmed that this has been its most successful device launch ever in terms of units shifted. As a publicly traded company discussing price-sensitive information, we can be sure that this at least is accurate.

Simply put, I'm reasonably confident that other carriers would have loved to have had similarly "disappointing" numbers as VZW.
Good points! I interpret these figures on the basis that most are waiting for the release of the iPhone5 (myself included).
Old 02-16-2011, 01:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by theonlychoman
Good points! I interpret these figures on the basis that most are waiting for the release of the iPhone5 (myself included).
Yep - that's definitely going to have an impact. I'm also one of those waiting to see what the iPhone 5 brings!
Old 02-17-2011, 08:11 PM
Senior Members

The Verizon network may be good but the CDMA technology is the reason I moved to GSM many years ago. I might consider LTE when it comes out but many of the features outlined in the link are features that I depend on regularly for work. Especially setting up impromptu conference calls with 3+ people without fear of dropping someone and more recently, simultaneous voice and data.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/16/a...-and-gsm-ipho/
Old 02-19-2011, 01:31 AM
Contributors

i think SIM interchangability and voice with data at the same time is really where the "future" is for vzw, they need to roll up their lte network a bit faster than they are currently doing and get their 4g phones into their stores